Red144runner

Work horse 1848

Red144runner

I just looked at the model number and ahorseofcourse is correct, it is a 422437. I know it can take side load since it was mounted on that craftsman gt II, which used and electric clutch and a pto similar to the wh. If it came off a machine that was shaft drive or had a fan (truck vac or walkbehind blower) then I'd have more concern. Also the original engine had no auxiliary bearing.

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

Yep you're in good shape.  Now get that monster fired up and do some burnouts!  I mean mow grass!  I mean throw snow!  Whatever you plan on doing!  :woohoo:

• Like 1

Red144runner

I just got the new cooling fan in today. Need new oil filter, oil, and the decals! There's a show in late may hopefully I'll have it ready. Of course we are getting into the busy season for me, grass is growing and spring sports are full steam at work. I also do 10 lawns on the side so spring cleanups then mulch for a few ohhh and we are moving at the start of may AND the alternator on my other '84 ( 3500 GMC) decided to quit after 33 years of service (pretty sure its original since it's a Delco-remy and made in USA). But I will get it done👍🇺🇸

Edited by Red144runner
  • Like 1

Red144runner

Few parts came in today. I picked up a new fan, fuel tank/valve grommet, and oil filter. I installed all the parts, planned on filling the oil then I realized it was a synthetic blend on the shelf. I don't know if that would cause problems or seal issues but I'll stick with what it calls for. 

I took a close up of the part number on the valve if anyone was curious 

IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3303.JPG

IMG_3304.JPG

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
12 hours ago, Red144runner said:

Few parts came in today. I picked up a new fan, fuel tank/valve grommet, and oil filter. I installed all the parts, planned on filling the oil then I realized it was a synthetic blend on the shelf. I don't know if that would cause problems or seal issues but I'll stick with what it calls for. 

I took a close up of the part number on the valve if anyone was curious 

In engine or transmission? If hydro, many people here will swear by full synthetic in it just for your future use. Synth blend should be no problem in either.

Fuel fitting also available from vendor here: http://www.rmaynard.com/fuel_shut_off_valves.html :handgestures-thumbupright: @rmaynard

bds1984

I wouldn't sweat about the oil you have.  Think about it, that oil you have is probably SN rated and is in every way superior to what was originally specified and was most likely SF.  Unless you'll be pulling heavy loads in dusty conditions, I really doubt it'll make a difference if you follow the proper service intervals.

Red144runner

Great info. I'll put the synth blend in then. This won't be pulling heavy loads. It will most likely be running the 44" blower. 

mike416

I'm loving this build! Can't wait to see it finished. Keep up the good work and thanks for all of the great info!

Red144runner

The tractor is just about done. It runs great and the eaton1100 is good and strong. Needs headlight bezels, decal set, custom seat mounts, headlight re wire and rear reflectors. 

We put a new stator on it since the old one wasn't charging. All new fasteners just about everywhere. I'll post some pictures up this week. Been busy since mid April between my 7 lawns and moving into a new house. I'll be using my 3/12 today to haul and grade 4500 lbs of 3/4" stone that's sitting in the back of my '84 1 ton

DennisThornton

I don't think the side load of the WH pto is the same as the electric clutch of the Craftsman GT. 

Red144runner

Tractor is up and running. Eaton 1100 pulls great. Does need tie rods as these are non adjustable and it is significantly out of alignment. I welded up a strip of 3"x3/16" to mount the craftsman seat and frame onto the much wider wh mount points. Should also help distribute the weight. This tractor did have a cracked seat support, but i repaired it.

IMG_3456.JPG

• Like 2

Red144runner

Seat is mounted, bracket is painted and I welded the springs to the seat base. Today as I was getting ready to hook up the mower I noticed the lift arm mounting axle was broken but still in the arm and frame. I took out the c clip and bushing and wire wheeled the whole thing and prepped it to be welded. Came out nice then sprayed it black. Put the deck under neath and the mule drive on. I'll finish it up Monday and test it out

IMG_3478.JPG

IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_3483.JPG

Texas Todd

Is it just the camera or is she a little pigeon-toed?

Red144runner
24 minutes ago, Texas Todd said:

Is it just the camera or is she a little pigeon-toed?

Oh yes. And that tie rods are not adjustable. Ordering new ones asap. Front tires are in good shape and  it's so out of alignment driving it around fir any length of time will wear them fast

Texas Todd

Mine were like that one time after re-assembly. I had em on the wrong side.....Worth checking before ordering.

• Like 1

Red144runner
34 minutes ago, Texas Todd said:

Mine were like that one time after re-assembly. I had em on the wrong side.....Worth checking before ordering.

I'll do that. 

mike416

The lift arm did turn out nice, heck the whole tractor is turning out nice. Had to install a set of adjustable tie rods when I was working on my 416. Got it perfect!

• Like 1

Red144runner
58 minutes ago, mike416 said:

The lift arm did turn out nice, heck the whole tractor is turning out nice. Had to install a set of adjustable tie rods when I was working on my 416. Got it perfect!

Thank you. I'd like to find a nice 400 series with the kohler twin. Have to sell the 3/15 first