Rustyred

Is a 244 trailer good for work?

Rustyred

The overhaul of our C-81 is looking promising with good progress and plenty of help from Red Square.

Now my question is a trailer:

Is a Wheel Horse 244 a good work trailer? Or is it best restored for a collectors item? We intend to get a lot of yard work done!

The trailer below is being offered for $250.00. 

58c301b5cc71a_trailerforsale.jpg.d61bf90733403c9c1559141b32159709.jpg

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

If I paid $250 for it, I surely would not work it as they are not made anymore. They are built well however. 

For $250, you can get a decent fat-tired trailer from a store that could haul a bit more and I wouldnt mind destroying it with yardwork. Once you wear out that old tub cart, there is no replacing it...

Just my $0.02!

• Like 7

Adams94
10 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

If I paid $250 for it, I surely would not work it as they are not made anymore. They are built well however. 

For $250, you can get a decent fat-tired trailer from a store that could haul a bit more and I wouldnt mind destroying it with yardwork. Once you wear out that old tub cart, there is no replacing it...

Just my $0.02!

I agree!

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:I do admit I do use mine for yard work but nothing heavy, leaves & small dead fall only. Get  a POS big box one to beat the crap out of. 250 might be a little high but they are getting scarcer.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Buy it, restore it and enjoy it. Then get a cheapy at HF, trash it and enjoy it (for work)...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

pfrederi

I picked up one of those WH wagons a few years ago.  It is in good shape but I do not use it.  I am still using the gray trailer here that my father and I built in the early 1960s to use with a Porter-Cable riding mower.  It was modified to work with the L-107 Lawn ranger when he bought that in 1967.  It was made out a scrap bed frame, a stop sign post (liberated from the State if New York) and some left over T111 from the "new" enclosed porch and nuts an bolts "borrowed from the Huyck Felt Company in Rensselaer NY.  it has been used hard for years hauling crushed stone, sand any thing that fits.

My advice save your WH and build one with scraps left overs with your son for daily use.

IMG_3362 (2).jpg

• Like 2

12 hp Kohler

Thats a nice farmall in the picture.

• Like 1

Rustyred
3 minutes ago, 12 hp Kohler said:

Thats a nice farmall in the picture.

Seriously? It's not a wheel horse?

• Like 1

12 hp Kohler

Yeah, but it's still awesome, but not as awesome as a wheel horse 

Rustyred

What specs would I look for, for a C-81 tractor? I'm talking about cubic feet, axle size, etc. Any inputon what it could handle? 10 Hp kohler.

pfrederi

A C81 would be  8hp.  My Lawn ranger has never had a problem pilling a trailer  we run out of traction long before power

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Rustyred said:

What specs would I look for, for a C-81 tractor? I'm talking about cubic feet, axle size, etc. Any inputon what it could handle? 10 Hp kohler.

32 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

A C81 would be  8hp.  My Lawn ranger has never had a problem pilling a trailer  we run out of traction long before power

This is one of the things I haul around with my 10 HP C 105... Not sure what you plan to haul in a tub cart, but I'm guessing it weighs less then this...:)

IMG_0651.JPG

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2

12 hp Kohler

That a pretty sweet rig you have there

• Like 1

jellyghost

After reading the above posts, I have a confession.  I bought my WH dump trailer for $75, and it has been hauling rocks.

• Like 2

WHX??

You confession has been been heard Jelly and the Ponds have forgiven you. For your penance  say two Our Father's, three Hail Maryies and go get a HF cheap to abuse.:ychain::lol:

• Like 2

rjg854

I paid a buck and a quarter for my tub cart and use it all the time, a handy piece of equipment.  What's the sense of having something if you're not going to use it?  None of my :wh:'s are just for show :text-imsorry:

• Like 1

WHX??

True true...there's  an old saying in the Harley forums... if you ain't gonna ride it mize well sell it!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

None of mine will be for show only, but would I haul a load of rocks any more? Probably not. 

I have a cheap one that I bought off of CL with fat tires (so less ruts) that I abuse. Just last year it was loaded with 1700 lbs of gravel and then left outside like that for 5-6 months (propped up to keep weight off tires). Then I hooked up the XI and hauled that load half a mile and down a hill (low range hydro FTW!) around the block to a neighbors house. All the panels were bowed, the axle and bearings have seen better days,but did I care? Nope! Could the tub cart have handled that better? It was clearly built better, but I wont abuse it like that. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Forest Road

I pull a 5x10 landscape trailer around w my horses. Much easier to load brush and debris, far more efficient too.  For $250 and a little patience you should be able to locate a small utility/landscape type trailer.