JimmyJam

Commando 800 seat adjustment

JimmyJam

I have been working on my "farm-fresh" Commando 800 to get it ready to give to my uncle. The problem is, is that he is over 7' tall. I have adjusted the seat bolts all the way back. So I recently purchased seat springs (like I have on my B-80) from Kelly (vendor on this site)(Thanks Kelly!); thinking height may make leg room compensation. Well only slightly. Has anyone else had to make special similar modifications? I do not know how to weld, so I am looking something I can bolt together. I know there are several garden tractor seat manufacturers out there that have adjustable seats on rails. Any ideas???

Ed Kennell

3230t61p1-h03-digitall.png?ver=1427472440     I used two pieces of  unistrut from McMaster Carr   to extend and raise the seat on my 520.

If your seat has a front flip mount, make sure the seat lock is working  so Uncle doesn't do a back flip.

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Luckily, your uncle will shrink as he gets older.  :occasion-xmas:  Seriously, 2 things will work.  Like you are thinking, a higher seat, and the other is moving the seat back.  My dad was a tall guy also...he used a couple of pieces of 2 x 4 on the fender pan with the seat mounted to that...the seat was also set back a little.  The problem with doing this...the seat and fender pan can flip backward easier because the weight distribution has been shifted.  It will also make the tractor somewhat lighter in the front.

Make sure the seat latch works and it cannot malfunction.  Put some weight on the front of the horse.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

JimmyJam

Thanks Ed!.... you once again added good advice. Did you order the unistrut online? Do you remember what exactly you ordered?

Thanks stevesaurus! Makes total sense. The seat latch works, but I may add an addition flip-style door latch for extra measures.  BTW: my uncle hasn't shrunk yet at 88yo. God Bless him, he's in awesome shape, strong, and at times crusty... Got love him for that! Maybe that's the secret to longevity: being crusty/crabby! LOL!

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Like 3

Tankman

What basketball team did your uncle play for? Celtics?

When the seat is back far enough, think front weights:ROTF:

Ed Kennell

https://www.mcmaster.com/#3310t65/=16p2r2j            Mc Master Carr unistrut channel.

I have made a lot of U channel and angle iron pieces from square tubing I scavenge  from old unwanted weight machines.

The owners practically pay you to haul them away.    The weights also come in handy .

I like the second positive seat lock idea...very important safety item.

IMG_5915.JPG.4a4f022a2a9b8853976076151918506e.JPGIMG_6697.thumb.JPG.6842c627d6cc898c3ec970a4c708ba91.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 6

JimmyJam
5 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#3310t65/=16p2r2j            Mc Master Carr unistrut channel.

I was thinking of their High Strength unistrut powder coated in RED with slotted holes and purchase four nuts. Good idea? They come in 1, 1-1/2, 2....ft lengths.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I was thinking to use the solid unistrut with holes drilled in the sides to match the seat bolt pattern.

But your idea of using the slotted  bar w/ T-slot nuts  would give you infinite seat adjustment.  :text-bravo:

• Like 3

JimmyJam
28 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have made a lot of U channel and angle iron pieces from square tubing I scavenge  from old unwanted weight machines.

The owners practically pay you to haul them away.    The weights also come in handy .

I like the second positive seat lock idea...very important safety item.

IMG_5915.JPG.4a4f022a2a9b8853976076151918506e.JPGIMG_6697.thumb.JPG.6842c627d6cc898c3ec970a4c708ba91.JPG

:bow-blue:

Great idea! I love your rubber chains and wheel weights! Did you make them?

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

No, the weights and rubbers were on the 312 when I bought it.   

I have reported this before in other threads,  but it is worth repeating.    I was accustomed to using 2 link V bar chains on my snow movers and I was very skeptical of these rubbers.

After I used them, I was completely amazed at the traction.   I believe when they do start to slip, the band twists slightly creating a scoop that digs into the snow.

I had difficulty climbing my steep paved  driveway with the chained tractor (chains have no traction on a hard surface) , but the rubbers walk right up and do not leave marks.

Sorry for the off topic Jimmy.

• Like 2

squonk
3 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

Thanks Ed!.... you once again added good advice. Did you order the unistrut online? Do you remember what exactly you ordered?

Thanks stevesaurus! Makes total sense. The seat latch works, but I may add an addition flip-style door latch for extra measures.  BTW: my uncle hasn't shrunk yet at 88yo. God Bless him, he's in awesome shape, strong, and at times crusty... Got love him for that! Maybe that's the secret to longevity: being crusty/crabby! LOL!

You can buy unistrut at Lowes in the electrical dept. 

• Like 6

wallfish
6 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

I was thinking of their High Strength unistrut powder coated in RED with slotted holes and purchase four nuts.

I was thinking you should post a picture of your 7 ft + tall uncle on that tractor when it's done!

6 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

Maybe that's the secret to longevity: being crusty/crabby! LOL!

HA, guess my wife is going to live forever :lol:

• Like 5

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

HA, guess my wife is going to live forever :lol:

Your livin right on the edge John.

• Like 2

JimmyJam

Update: Delivered Uncle Slim's Commando 800 to his farm in Maine for first grass cut. Unistrut seat extensions & seat springs worked awesome for a 7 foot, 2" guy!

Uncle2.jpg

Uncle1.jpg

• Like 3

slim67
1 hour ago, JimmyJam said:

Update: Delivered Uncle Slim's Commando 800 to his farm in Maine for first grass cut. Unistrut seat extensions & seat springs worked awesome for a 7 foot, 2" guy!

Uncle2.jpg

Uncle1.jpg

There's a tractor under that guy? For your sake I hope he's happy.

• Like 1

JimmyJam

He loves it! Throwback. He remembers many a WH back in the day. :greetings-clappingyellow:

JimmyJam
On 3/10/2017 at 0:54 PM, Tankman said:

What basketball team did your uncle play for? Celtics?

When the seat is back far enough, think front weights:ROTF:

Uncle's nickname is "Slim" hence he weights about 135#. He was the State Deputy Forester District Mgr for the State of Massachusetts for many years after being a Korean War Veteran. An awesome guy! Love him dearly! No weights needed!