indytractors

Wheelhorse 18 automatic

indytractors

As indicated in prior posts, I have been considering the purchase of a Wheelhorse 18 automatic.

I finally saw this machine yesterday:

has a lot of patina, decent decals (pic attached below)

has a good running K482 Kohler engine, no smoke at low, mid and high throttle (engine was cold when I arrived)

when seated on the tractor there is an oil leak on the left side near and above the oil filler pipe (probably leaking from higher above)

leaking rear oil seal on the left side, gas tank had pin holes but repaired

a brazing fix on the tranny

one muffler was chewed in half while using a rototiller and reattached to the exhaust pipe

the other muffler has a fracture on the body of the muffler about the size of a quarter

some slop in the steering

has 3 point hitch

has front and rear PTOs

has wheel weights

good looking headlights, but not operational

rear fender lights had lenses missing

mower deck not attached but blades turned with a minimal amount of effort, no evidence of patches or holes

Owner has had it for ten years and only used it to roto-till and plow.

I wanted to operate to see how the hydro responded, but could not, the battery was too large for the holder, and had it sitting on the ground with cables running to the terminals.

Offered at $1,000.00 but was quoted $600.00 after I passed on it.

Should I reconsider??

18 auto.docx

Edited by indytractors
misspelling
  • Like 2

WHX??

Looks like a project for sure but the fact you can't check that hydro is a real minus coupled with the brazing fix on the tranny ....would be a problem for me. I'm sure more 18 auto pros will be along to advise.

• Like 1

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

Might stand on the three point an see if it will lift you easily and quickly...a warmup and driving test is much better

Also mufflers are very expensive and even coming up with stacks or something costs...

Oil leak above filler is probably the oil pressure sending unit.

Loose steering is common the steering box can be adjusted (very hard to do with Rear PTO installed) or rebuilt.

Where was the tranny braised...if on the bottom probably bolt in differential failed and got wedged between bull gear and case.

The rear PTO and 3 pt are worth some money if you have to part it out.

"D"- Man

I agree with Paul, the 18 Automatics had the smaller diameter bolts, later models were assembled with the larger diameter bolts.  The bull gear and end caps can be swapped out for the larger ones.  All that having been said, I still think it's probably a good deal.  I have had 2 18's a D-180 and a D-200.  

• Like 1

DTOM

That one happens to be the Earlier version of the 18 auto. No hood latches and the exhaust does not go through the frame. Curios on the serial number to compare to mine.