elliot ness

Painted plastic hubcaps Yah or Nay ?

Tankman
12 hours ago, roadapples said:

The wife is right....:ychain:

Isn't the wife always right? Even if she isn't?

In this case, find real hub caps. Use the plastic for frisbe tournaments?  :ROTF:

WH-Moons.jpg.472b6ad93f1560560d1f20d1a3fa3a8e.jpg

• Like 6

Retired Wrencher

elliot ness   What is that old saying. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like it, that is all that matters. Enjoy and nice tractor.

• Like 2

Zeek

You did a nice job with the paint detail, but I'm not sure I'm feeling the red in that shade :think:

I think I'd try silver or chrome paint if it were mine, but it depends on what you like. At least you'll be the only one with that look :music-deathmetal:

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 2

WHX??

I think they're uutt bugly ....I better come get the whole tractor .....:ph34r::ychain:

• Haha 1

TDF5G

I would prefer the looks of them painted to match the wheel color.

:)

• Like 1

WHX??
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, elliot ness said:

Mike I been through divorce court 2 times, you could not offend me.

Hilarious Elliot I'm still chuckling ...been there done that!

So I hope you won't mind I put up some pics of my own. So in cleaning out My boy's closet I found a box of the small bottles of Testo's paints from his model building days. Took them out to the garage to clutter up things a little more. Then proceeded to do a little hub work on the 520, throw some tubes in, check the bearings & just general clean up. Hub caps got thrown up on the bench and just happen to land next to that box of paints. The :techie-idea: went on! Now these caps are in rough shape but cleaned up ok. A couple are pitted and one has a divot where somebody got a little close to something they weren't supposed to so I figured what the heck...good ones to experiment on. Now I am no artist by any stretch ...I can't even draw a stick man...  but didn't turn out too bad as long as you look at the from a distance! :lol:

20170817_184226.jpg

20170817_184237.jpg

20170817_184246.jpg

Will get some more pics up once the black is done and back on the tractor.

Edited by WHX12
add
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

rjg854

I think it looks alright, and as long as you're happy, that's all that matters! My hands aren't as steady as  they used to be either. I tried painting the letters of words :wh: and KOHLER on my 854, needless to say I had to clean the paint off it looked so bad :o  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

AMC RULES

:think:  Humm, I don't know...                         :confusion-shrug:

they're different yes...but a little too busy for me.   

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate your efforts...and sharing your results here. 

I too always wondered what they would look like if filled in with paint.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ACman

:scratchead:...Who measures up the jobs ? Though that only involves a tape measure , piece of cardboard and a Sharpie :scared-notify: !

I like it Jim :handgestures-thumbupright: . I want to do the letters and the rim on the :wh: in white on my 520 Wheel-a-Magic (couldn't have done without @Vinylguy  :bow-blue:)  . I think it would add to that 60's look ? Then again maybe just a red pinstripe on the lip of the rim  :confusion-shrug: ?IMG_2025.JPG.18ec93dc8ff753cf17b4f33459cd553f.JPG

Edited by ACman
  • Like 4

953 nut
3 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I think it looks alright, and as long as you're happy, that's all that matters! My hands aren't as steady as  they used to be either. I tried painting the letters of words :wh: and KOHLER on my 854, needless to say I had to clean the paint off it looked so bad :o  

Have you considered giving one of these a try?Image result for white paint marker

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 5

WHX??
4 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:think:  Humm, I don't know...                         :confusion-shrug:

they're different yes...but a little too busy for me.   

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate your efforts...and sharing your results here. 

I too always wondered what they would look like if filled in with paint.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Truth be told Craig after I cuffed them on thought they might be a little busy too that's why I mentioned changin up the colors... let's gettem dirty and see how they fare as this is a working  tractor... maybe something to match the rims or ???? Open to all suggestions. ...what say @elliot ness since this is your thread.

BTW I had thought of the pen Richard but given my artistic disabilities .... sides the paints were here and going to waste... I will leave the the good detail work to @Achto...hear tell he's got the knack for it!;)

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 3

TDF5G

I like them.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Good color choices IMO.  I'd like to see one painted the same way with the concentric rings black just for comparison.

• Like 1

Manuel
On 3/9/2017 at 9:33 PM, jellyghost said:

I wonder if some of the nay-sayers are comparing them to original WH hubcaps.  I think they improve the look of your tractor, but I don't think they compare well with the original hubcaps.

Still need another coat then clear coat. Original was very faded from the UV rays. 

IMG_0520.jpeg

• Like 3

kpinnc

I had several chrome sets, and sold every one of them. No matter what you do, they rust on the inside. I don't think the "bling" was worth the hassle of them.

I would have kept a plastic set if I had them. The argent color looked great, and the chrome center was a nice touch. Oh well...

• Like 2

Lee1977
10 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I had several chrome sets, and sold every one of them. No matter what you do, they rust on the inside. I don't think the "bling" was worth the hassle of them.

I would have kept a plastic set if I had them. The argent color looked great, and the chrome center was a nice touch. Oh well...

I painted the inside of my chrome set with Agriguard .

SAM-1798.jpg

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
On 8/23/2017 at 9:55 AM, TDF5G said:

I'd like to see one painted the same way with the concentric rings black just for comparison

IMG_2302.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06

Man i wish center caps weren't so obscenely expensive, its hard to justify the price for sheer vanity.  Id put plastics on if i could find them.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

So which do you guys like better ?…

Black concentric circles with “Wheel Horse” in red, or red concentric circles and “Wheel Horse” painted  black ? image.png.52b31f031f296675a85f62f9790e0359.png

IMG_3518.jpeg

Brockport Bill
On 2/2/2024 at 11:58 PM, Manuel said:

Still need another coat then clear coat. Original was very faded from the UV rays. 

IMG_0520.jpeg

what did you do to the hub caps -- clean them -- or paint them? If painted, how did you paint around the horse?

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

So which do you guys like better ?…

Black

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

Black

Me too…

rjg854

I would say whatever makes the owner happy 😁

You could also do one of each color and please everybody :teasing-poke:

• Like 2

Handy Don
5 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

You could also do one of each color and please everybody :teasing-poke:

Or nobody! :D

Being contrary, I’d likely do the outer ring to match wheel color then use red for the lettering and the inner ring. :confusion-shrug:

But this is the best answer...

6 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

whatever makes the owner happy

• Like 1

Manuel
On 2/5/2024 at 12:33 PM, Brockport Bill said:

what did you do to the hub caps -- clean them -- or paint them? If painted, how did you paint around the horse?

Around horse was done by hand