Wheelhorsegt14

Wheel hores gt14 green guy

Wheelhorsegt14

Am new to these small tractors I made my first purchase a few weeks. Ago I bought 2 wheel horse gt14s 2 tillers 2 decks 1 of the tractors was complete the other simi complete less the transmission. They both have the 3 point for them. Got them for the the great price of 300 dollars. I got the complete one running but, the having a little bit of a problem with the hydraulics when it first starts it is good and strong and will lift me standing on it but after it warms up it will not lift at all with weight on the back. Under no weight it will still lift it's self. I did notice a small leak and ordered the gasket for it. I hope that fixes it. But only time will tell any body else have this problem and how did you fix it?

Ps they put hydraulic fluid in it and I know that's not right. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Anther question I have would be does the tiller on these gt14s work well because that's going to be its main duty  in till I get a loader for it. Thanks for any further information in advance. 

Digger 66

Welcome to the forum ...

May want to re adjust that title though :lol:

• Like 2

KC9KAS

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

68143.gif.249f1a8ebd41c61f5833f0962dd96830.gif  hdr-logo-100b.png.818c816266d2087bf3b95d3715a3e9ef.png

• Like 1

Tankman

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Sounds like a decent deal for the WH you picked up. Be sure to update your progress and good luck. Take your time.

Hope you're not in the fire areas in OK.

• Like 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, Wheelhorsegt14 said:

they put hydraulic fluid in it and I know that's not right. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

:WRS:

The first bit of advice would be to change the fluid and filter. If the fluid is a pink color it should be replaced with Dextron ATF, if it is amber you should use 10W30 ( you will need a gallon ). The filter will be a NAPA 1410. There could be more that needs to be done, but this must be done to know where you stand.

• Like 2

refracman

Welcome to the wheel horse family!

you got a good deal on the package for sure. 

That was the good news. Now for the bad 

Your hydro most likely is dun worn out and will need rebuilt or replaced. There are a few threads on dyi rebuilds here and are very thorough. Or you can replace. It really depends on how handy you are. You most likely won't find a hydro gear pump for a gt14 but any hydrogear pump can be converted to fit, preferably off a 70-72 12hp tractor as they are close in pump capacity. 

Once you have a good hydro under you, you'll be happy you did. The gt14 handles a tiller and loader very well. 

I forgot, you can also convert it to the piston to piston style. But to do that you need not only the pump but the drive gear out of the trans it came off of. Which means splitting the case to convert it to the newer style 

Good luck! 

Edited by refracman
Add info
  • Like 2

Wheelhorsegt14

Thanks for the advice I think it had oil in it before but the last guy put hydraulic fluid in it would this causes any adverse affects? 

953 nut
4 hours ago, Wheelhorsegt14 said:

Thanks for the advice I think it had oil in it before but the last guy put hydraulic fluid in it would this causes any adverse affects? 

Probably no harm done by the oil. You didn't mention how the transaxle performs. Is it strong at first and then gives up when warm also? The attached manual has a troubleshooting guide and lots of good information.

Sunstrand Hydro (part 1).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 2).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 3).pdf 

Sunstrand Hydro (part 4).pdf

1-7441.pdf

• Like 1

Wheelhorsegt14

Yes that is exactly what is happening when I first started it is can stand on the 3 point and it lift me but, after it warms up it will not lift me. 

neil

Welcome to Redsquare & enjoy the ride .