can whlvr

whats up with nascar?????????

can whlvr

so I would guess I'm not the only one out there that is wonderind what the heck is nascar thinking,sections in racing,wtf.ive been watchin nascar for a lot of years,since the early seventies,and now I'm quitting,this new format is childs play,segments and cautions,its just plain retarted,i cant believe any one will like this stle of racing.none of my friends like it,ive emailed nascar to let em know,well see if anyone is listening

• Like 1

smoreau

I quit watching when Earnhart passed. Now i only watch the datona 500. I went to both races in Mi for over 20 years and it got so crowded it got to be no fun anymore. Now its died to the point when I started to go in the early 80s I think they need to bring back the Winston Cup rules and name. 

• Like 2

Racinbob

I'm all for giving it a chance but if Atlanta was any indication it's not going to cut it. My wife and I are big NASCAR fans and have been numerous tracks. Michigan, Bristol, Talladaga, Darlington, Daytona and I got to drive a car on at Charlotte (training of course, not a race :auto-swerve:). I understand what they are trying to do but I'm not sure this is the way. :)

• Like 1

JAinVA

I don't think NASCAR knows what to do.Take the sport out of the south to get more people interested.That worked up to the point that  most fans saw three hours of one car follow the other.50 laps of sprint car racing is more entertaining.Make all the cars the same and make it like IROC racing.Not where the sport started.You can't be all things to all people but the powers to be can't see the truth.Wave arounds and lucky dogs are not what the fans want.I am not sure what they want but then NASCAR s' problems are not mine.I just know i'm not watching anymore.Three hours of watching paint dry is more interesting.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, can whlvr said:

what the heck is nascar thinking

Seems like I say that nearly every year, but when I look at the alternatives out there I have to admit; NASCAR isn't perfect, but it is far better than open wheel races. Much like Bob, I have been to dozens of Daytona and a couple Homestead races As well as Charlotte.  

One thing that is constant with NASCAR is change. They seem to think they need to reinvent the sport to keep it fresh.  Remember the "Car of Tomorrow". This too will pass.

The biggest problem as I see it is the lack of close racing, more short tracks and road courses would generate a lot more entertainment value than the 1 1/2 mile follow the leader tracks that have started dominating the sport.

OK, now I will get down from my soap box  :soapbox:   and get back to Horsin around   :wh:.  

• Like 4

squonk

Get rid of the Chase,lucky dogs, wave a-rounds, timed repairs. Start awarding points for every lap led. Add lots of points to the race winner giving him separation from finishing 2nd. If there are 32 races, only count a drivers best 30 finishes towards the championship. Let the teams throwout their 2 worst runs. Quite often a team has a couple of bad runs early in the year and they are out of it by April. Emphasize leading laps and winning instead of awarding running around in a circle for 3 hrs. and finishing 10th.

• Like 7

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug:  Just another example of where...

"everybody gets a trophy" isn't working? :auto-crash:

• Like 8

cleat

I quit watching Nascar when they went to those generic cars.

I like seeing cars that look like actual production cars and actually use engines that are available in those cars.

Hard to cheer on Ford Chev etc when it's only a name stuck over the windshield.

Cleat

• Like 4

Ken B

I also started watching Nascar in the 70's. I never really had a favorite drive until Dale Earnhardt came along. I knew the very first time I saw him out on the track that he was my guy. I followed Nascar intensely until his death. I even bought me a black Monte SS that the wife, my son Jesse and myself would take to the races. I would add a giant magnetic #3 to the doors on race day. My son Jesse was a Gordon fan and would always ask me why we can't put a 24 on the door and I'd always tell him its because his car ain't black... Like smoreau, after Earnhardts death I mostly stopped watching except for the Daytona 500 and the Bristol races.. You can now take the Daytona 500 off my list. Cookie cutter cars, cookie cutter tracks and cookie cutter drivers seems to be what they want to push these days... Like Craig said, another fine example of  everyone gets a trophy ain't working... Back in the day you had a lot more colorful drivers with some attitude....

ScannedImage-1.jpg

ScannedImage-18.jpg

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 7

refracman

Ya what he said!!

i was a infield rat at mis for years. Was cheap fun weekend with my buds. Then Penske sold it and prices went sky high. Then the cars became cookie cutter and that was the end for me. I haven't watched a race in at least. 10 years. The last full season I think was 2001. 

That's when I got heavy into these little beasts. 

• Like 1

19richie66

Imagine if all newer tractors were made by MTD and painted different colors, you would have NASCAR. Wait a minute.........:confusion-scratchheadyellow:

• Like 7

Racinbob

I too was an Earnhardt fan since his rookie year. I was at the 1998 Daytona 500 and witnessed first hand that there wasn't an unhappy person in the stands. I didn't go to the 2001 500 and was glad I didn't. I was so upset I didn't even watch the races on TV after that. My wife kept after me to go to the July race that year and finally I gave in and we went. Junior winning that race was a start of the healing process for everybody.

Back to the original topic. NASCAR has to make changes now and then to keep up with the changing times. Some of the changes work, some not so well, some not at all. As I already said, I'm OK with seeing how things play out with the new system. It's common for the cars to string out at Atlanta but I don't recall ever seeing them create such a boring race. Because it conflicted with the race we recorded the Notre Dame ACC tournament final ladies basketball game to watch it afterwards. We ended up switching over to it and then I returned to the race after it was over. A lot of the problem is the cookie cutter cars. NASCAR mandates things with the cars to make them safer. I love the old days but safety absolutely has to be the top priority. Then they try to tweak them to make the race better for the fans. Again, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If the next few races are like Atlanta I can see them making more changes. I ignore how much the Fox commentators talk up the new system. They are getting paid to do that. :)

• Like 3

pfrederi
8 hours ago, cleat said:

I quit watching Nascar when they went to those generic cars.

I like seeing cars that look like actual production cars and actually use engines that are available in those cars.

Hard to cheer on Ford Chev etc when it's only a name stuck over the windshield.

Cleat

That is so much how i feel.  Fireball Roberts was one of my favorites driving a Pontiac (that actually had some Pontiac parts....)  Isn't the word "STOCK" somewhere in NASCAR

• Like 3

953 nut
54 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Earnhardt fan since his rookie year. I was at the 1998 Daytona 500 and witnessed first hand that there wasn't an unhappy person in the stands.

I was there in '98 celebrating too, but the '97 Daytona 500 was the one that proved what a racer he was. There was a huge wreck on the backstretch and the "3" rolled over a couple of times; a few minutes later Earnhardt was in the pits getting tires and some 200 MPH Tape. He finished the race five laps down in thirty first place;     but he didn't give up!  

• Like 3

squonk

I go back to the days of Fireball, Junior Johnson, Pearson, the Yarbourough's, Petty, Buddy Baker and the Allison's. It was run it until it blew or the race was over.

• Like 3

ztnoo

NASCAR never was my cup o' tea, although I have followed it off and on from the fringes.

I was born and raised in Indiana, so the Indy 500 and open wheeled cars (the most dangerous kind to race) have always been at the top of my list.

In the same vein, when I was reading Car & Driver and Road & Track as a young teenager in about '62 & '63, F1 caught my eye and I have generally followed it at about the same level of enthusiasm of Indy Car (be it USAC, CART, IRL, or whatever the phrase of the year was applied to the championship). I love the technological freedom in F1 to refine mechanical and engineering excellence to the last degree. I also like the international flavor to the series and the live coverage of any F1 race, no matter where it is being held around the globe.

649213614.jpg?w=610&h=343&crop=1

• Like 2

clueless
17 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I was there in '98 celebrating too, but the '97 Daytona 500 was the one that proved what a racer he was. There was a huge wreck on the backstretch and the "3" rolled over a couple of times; a few minutes later Earnhardt was in the pits getting tires and some 200 MPH Tape. He finished the race five laps down in thirty first place;     but he didn't give up!  

Richard, and Bob, I was also at '98 Daytona 500, small world. Richard, the '97 is one of my favorite Earnhardt races. I'm seating in the stands and see a car on the backstretch, up in the air and over, it's Earnhardt, day's over for him. less than ten minutes he's back on the track, car looks like junk, but he maintain speed and finishes the race. I've been a NASCAR fan since I was 11, my first Daytona race was the 1967 Firecracker 400, Mario won. NASCAR is like most thing now days, trying to stay current and make lot of money. Is it working for us old guys, no not really. That being said there's still a lot of good racing, just not on your high speed tracks. While running only inches apart at 200 MPH lap after lap is amazing, it's kind of like watching the Blue Angels perform for 2.5 hours. The small tracks still have some good racing, Bristol, Martinsville, Richmond. The last couple of years the majority of the races or on NBCSN, while I pay over $170.00 a month for cable I don't have NBCSN, so I watch it on the computer, way to many of the same commercial repeated. While I intend to go to a few of the races each year for a long time to come, NASCAR is slowly losing me as a long time fan.   

• Like 2

T-Mo

• Like 1

pfrederi

NASCAR has a similar problem to Baseball and even the NFL.  Younger people so not want to sit still for 3 hours to watch  sporting event.  Baseball is looking a pitch clocks, letting them skip 4 pitches for intentional  walks etc.  NFL and MLB attendance and viewership is down.    Nascar has an additional problem in that younger people are not that interested in  driving and cars as much as we were years ago,  In more urban areas it is more and more common for younger people to not even have a drivers licenses.  No longer do they rush down to the DMV on their sixteenth birthday to get their learners permit like most of us did.

• Like 4

clueless
26 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

NASCAR has a similar problem to Baseball and even the NFL.  Younger people so not want to sit still for 3 hours to watch  sporting event.  Baseball is looking a pitch clocks, letting them skip 4 pitches for intentional  walks etc.  NFL and MLB attendance and viewership is down.    Nascar has an additional problem in that younger people are not that interested in  driving and cars as much as we were years ago,  In more urban areas it is more and more common for younger people to not even have a drivers licenses.  No longer do they rush down to the DMV on their sixteenth birthday to get their learners permit like most of us did.

Nailed It :handgestures-thumbupright:.

AMC RULES

:blink: How 'bout some Uber races...anyone? :auto-swerve:

• Like 1

can whlvr

I still don't see how this new format is gonna help the sport,if us long timers don't watch then the younger crowd wont see it near as much,i watched with my dad,thats how I got into it,segments,whats that gonna do but slow up the pace,im not gonna watch every week,and wont cry if I miss a short track either

953 nut

Can't complain too much about today's show, drama followed up by a fight on pit road;  I'm a fan!    :auto-layrubber:   :auto-swerve:   :auto-checkeredflag:     :auto-ambulance:

• Like 1

Sodaking27
On 3/7/2017 at 8:26 PM, smoreau said:

I quit watching when Earnhart passed. Now i only watch the datona 500. I went to both races in Mi for over 20 years and it got so crowded it got to be no fun anymore. Now its died to the point when I started to go in the early 80s I think they need to bring back the Winston Cup rules and name. 

+ 1

I used to go to both races at Dover, Martinsburg, Richmond and sometimes Pocono . I tried several times to watch it, but just can't get into all the changes.

• Like 1

Ken B

I have been hearing lately that Nascar is looking into making the cars much quieter so that fans can talk among themselves while watching the race... What a joke... If you can't handle the noise stay home, If you can't handle the fumes stay home. If you can't handle the fact that it is a dangerous sport and that someone might get hurt, or worse, stay home. If you can't handle the fact that my driver might spin yours out or vice versa then stay home. If you can't handle the fact that drivers sometimes in the heat of the moment will take a swing at each other then stay home. If you can't handle the fact that your driver MIGHT NEVER WIN, then stay home!

Now, my wife can't stand noise and she is all about trying to please everyone. She grew up in a racing family with a Dad who built engines and carburetors for many of the locals who raced at our local track here in Danbury CT. The Racearena. She started going to the races before she was even able to walk. When I told her about Nascar's latest bright idea her first comment was, oh brother, races are supposed to be loud! I have a funny feeling Nascar might be getting some pressure from its new sponsor, Monster to quiet the cars down. I bet its the corporate sissies that are whining about the noise.... I'm done for now.

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 4