Tdubb

What is it?

Tdubb

I know what it is, do you? Have you ever used one?

20170305_173137.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

Some kind of trolley...runs on a steel "i" beam I think.

Just a guess of course.

Nope, never used one.

Mike.....

• Like 2

Tdubb

It is a trolley. It ran on a wooden beam, hay loft of a barn built in 1893. It was my mom's barn we had it knocked down last February, thought we would clean it up by hand. Last weekend we rented a mini excavator and dug a hole and burned it. I was hoping to,find this trolley unharmed. Here's a picture of it on a treated 4x4 in my work shop. I plan to sandblast it and paint it, then hang it on an old piece of her barn wood and mount a light from where the rope dropped from.

20170305_173339.jpg

Edited by Tdubb
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

Trolley for a hay hook.

Antique Louden Farm Hay Barn Trolley Pulley Cast Iron Hay Carrier Tool Machinery

• Like 3

Tdubb
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Trolley for a hay hook.

Antique Louden Farm Hay Barn Trolley Pulley Cast Iron Hay Carrier Tool Machinery

Yes sir

Ed Kennell

In action.

• Like 4

Tdubb

Awesome video

KC9KAS

I was the "trip" man when putting up hay in my great-uncle's barn in the mid sixty's.

He used a small FORD tractor to pull the hay up and into the barn.

• Like 1

857 horse

thank-you to everyone for all the pics and the video,,,,,,,,this was great to learn....

Howard 857 horse in VA

• Like 1

AMC RULES

953 nut

Growing up we used Mule Power for a few jobs and putting hay in the loft was one of them. We didn't have a tow-able baler at the time and used a belt driven stationary one similar to the one pictured below. The Hay trolley was originally designed to place loose hay in the barn, but ours has been modified to lift four bales at a time. I would guide the mule forward as the hay laden trolley went up and then went over the loft. The man who was placing the bales would trip the mechanism to drop the bales near where he would place them. Once I heard them fall I would back the mule up ( that was the tricky part). I was probably six or seven when this was replaced with a new baler and an elevator.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Image result for stationary baler

• Like 3

Tdubb
43 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Thanks for this, I hadn't Googled it yet and this has lots of neat ideas. I'm suddenly seeing 3 lights instead of 1.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

This is actually the first I ever saw the 4 bale hay hook.   The only one I used was  for loose hay.Image result for vintage hay trolley

And it was powered be me and my pony..Bob.

He was also used for cultivating corn and pulling coal from a  mine my Grandfather had hand dug.

Bob was a good worker, but I think he enjoyed stepping on my feet as I led him between the rows of corn.

IMG_4906.thumb.JPG.0530a0a2dd0f72bec3d38119838cf681.JPG

circa...1946

Grandad came out of the mine every day for lunch and spent this lunch with his new daughter....my mother.

IMG_5401.JPG.03910d07118aed8a1b581f562b1b2bfc.JPG

circa.....1924

• Like 3

Tdubb

Wow, how cool. I never dreamed posting a picture of this thing would create all this neat history. 

• Like 1