john7

I suppose I should have started this back when I began restoring this plow but better late than never right? It's pretty much completed now except for the decals that I am still looking for... so technically it's still a work in progress. 

Anyhow, I picked up the HD-42 plow with an RJ mount back in mid January with great help from @OILUJ52

Here's what I started with:

20170127_182942_zpsvnolpvby.jpg

20170130_161224_zpsnr4nsj5x.jpg

It had all the essential parts; blade, front channel, rj mount, lift bar, and foot pedal (no chain, though). The only things missing were the 2 skids. Everything was in decent condition with some light to mild pitting vertically along the left edge of the blade face. The "front channel", as it's termed in the parts list, came mounted on an A-frame with 4 bolts, and the piece that attaches to the lift bar had been removed from it to accommodate the A-frame setup. All easy fixes! 

First things first, I made a new piece for the lift bar to attach to on the front channel, welded that on, and welded the 4 bolt holes up on both sides.

20170206_202022_zpsdmprmvoc.jpg

20170206_202041_zpscwkzq55u.jpg

Next, I made up some skids.

20170206_202110_zpsqhdylt7z.jpg

20170206_202055_zps8wna4x3m.jpg

I didn't snap a picture of the pitting on the left edge of the blade but I ran side by side beads the entire height of the blade about 2 inches wide - must have blown through 10 rods to do it. I filled in any other digs and gouges with welds. Being a plow, I didn't want body filler anywhere close to the blade. I did, however, use a small amount to fill in a couple of scratches on the topside of the front channel. 

I made one modification that was not original. There are 2 pieces of angle iron that are bent to fit the curvature of the blade and mounted to the backside of the blade on each outside edge. These were originally plug welded to the blade leaving a gap between the 2 on the outside edge - a perfect place for water to get trapped and promote corrosion. So I welded those up on both sides. It makes the edges look much better too!

And I just realized that I didn't snap any pics of everything down to bare metal or after body work either. But, here's everything after all my fixes and shot with a second coat of primer.

20170210_170245_zps3ryjgyqd.jpg

20170211_130125_zpsqcwhuojb.jpg

20170211_130102_zps5peswbgs.jpg

20170211_130041_zpsb0by89px.jpg

I'm having some trouble attaching the after paint pics. Will post when I figure it out.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

You may have reached your limit of pictures John.

To eliminate the picture limit, you must become a supporting member.

Click on the  store(support RS) above.

• Like 1

john7

Here's some pics after paint (PPG AUE300 in IH50), color sanding, and buffing. 

20170213_182202_zpslj0hxgvz.jpg

20170227_131159_zps5cczp7ax.jpg

20170227_141320_zpsx4lntlfy.jpg

20170227_141334_zpspfawu0r9.jpg

20170227_141535_zpsybczfzpj.jpg

20170227_154510_zpsyi0wpe6m.jpg

20170227_154523_zpstcjsvimu.jpg

20170227_154532_zpsrsukm79e.jpg

I'll snap a few pics of it mounted on my RJ when I find the time.

6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

You may have reached your limit of pictures John.

To eliminate the picture limit, you must become a supporting member.

Click on the  store(support RS) above.

Thanks Ed, I'll have to do that in the near future. 

• Like 4

roadapples

Now it`s too "purdy" to use...

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

If we get another snowless winter like this one Jay,  We may as well put all our snow machines in the museum.

• Like 1

roadapples

That would suit me fine...

• Like 1

857 horse
3 minutes ago, roadapples said:

That would suit me fine...

I just watched the weather,,,,,,,,,,,,snow Friday and Sunday........jusss   shoot me !!     loloololol

• Like 2

Sarge

Yeah , tornadoes the other night here , 50mph winds now for two days in a row - and snow forecast for this weekend , go figure ...

Welcome to Illinois - I think not...

Sarge