HuntzNSam

Ready to mow

12 hp Kohler

That's a really good paint job, who did it?

• Like 1

pfrederi

Beautiful job ... way to nice to get dirty

Not thinking mowing yet 14 degrees 20 mph wind... down to near 0 tonite

12 hp Kohler

That's much different than what we're getting down in York pa 

dclarke

You really did a nice job on that 856.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

can whlvr

real nice lookin worker,i like the rubber too,i have those on my one of my 414,s I bet the neighbours will be lookin

HuntzNSam

12 HP, we did it ourselves in the basement and the garage.  Sally pointed out I could have done a much better job covering the floors and horizontal surfaces before painting.  Even rattle cans have over spray - nice red patches on our gray floors and workbenches.

It is a ten footer, good enough to mow but not so pretty that you'd be afraid to.  From the neighbor's yard, it looks great.

Our Jan and Feb were so warm, and March is continuing the warm trend so we expect to be mowing in a couple weeks.

The tires are Kenda Super Turfs.  We got a good deal from our local mower shop on tires and mounting.

Over the summer, we'll need to fix up the plow blade and blower to match.  Snowless winters are not the norm here.

We have less into this one than buying a plastic Chinese cookie cutter mower from the big box store.  We love the cool factor of a 60's tractor to go with our old vehicles.

Thanks for the compliments,

Chuck & Sally

• Like 7

jay bee

Nice job!!! :greetings-clappingyellow:  You've got that 856 standing tall. :bow-blue:

Jim

Tankman

Great Horse you two have. Too bad once you start mowing the Stallion will require cleaning after each mowing.

Charlie_Linus.jpg.d9972c2535f4da4927446157688fe795.jpg

• Like 1

W9JAB

Nice job, I can still see a few of my old touches survived the restoration, but not what I would call "over restored"

Look's like your ready for the endless battle of grass V.S. machine.

Best of luck with the 856, I know you'll get years of enjoyment out of it.

JOE

wallfish

Nice! Those mid 60s tractors are great workers. You should enjoy mowing with it as they have a nice sharp turning radius and the perfect size as long as you're not over 6 ft tall.

What is this piece? An oil drain extension?

58bb0ff2f19ea_170304B.jpg.c08d20effdfffddd49ff918d1c7aa203.thumb.jpg.7de7e9219ae8dd9a26799405ec5878f1.jpg

WHX??

Good eye 'fish....yes please elaborate....can you tell us where the seat came from?

HuntzNSam

John, Jim,

Yes, it is an oil drain extension that Joe added.  Low pressure hydraulic hose, it seems handy so we left it be.  The seat is a Michigan through Northern Tool/Ebay: Michigan Seat Universal Lawn Mower Midback Seat #35004455.  Not original, but comfy enough and seems to duplicate what was on there..

Joe is tall and I'm 6'4" (Sal is 5'7").  The old seat had a stack of washers as risers and I did not feel cramped.  We used 125lb Grainger vibration isolators instead, just because the stack of washers were a pain to install.

I do the front, Sal does the back, and we both like fast mowing.  The quick turning will be enjoyed.  We just sold our old Dixon ZTR 36.  It worked well, Made IN USA, but even with seat risers (iron pipe cut to fit) it was small for me.  It was a quick cutter though, especially with all our trees.  The Wheel Horse feels better and has a huge cool factor.  Despite the steel frame, the robin's egg blue plastic tub of the Dixon was not 'manly'!

We are both looking forward to the rear discharge deck - now we can go counter-clockwise along the fence line and trees too!  The cone clutches on the Dixon were taking a clockwise set.

Thanks for asking.  We've learned a lot just searching and reading old posts.

Chuck & Sally

• Like 1

cschannuth
1 hour ago, HuntzNSam said:

John, Jim,

Yes, it is an oil drain extension that Joe added.  Low pressure hydraulic hose, it seems handy so we left it be.  The seat is a Michigan through Northern Tool/Ebay: Michigan Seat Universal Lawn Mower Midback Seat #35004455.  Not original, but comfy enough and seems to duplicate what was on there..

Joe is tall and I'm 6'4" (Sal is 5'7").  The old seat had a stack of washers as risers and I did not feel cramped.  We used 125lb Grainger vibration isolators instead, just because the stack of washers were a pain to install.

I do the front, Sal does the back, and we both like fast mowing.  The quick turning will be enjoyed.  We just sold our old Dixon ZTR 36.  It worked well, Made IN USA, but even with seat risers (iron pipe cut to fit) it was small for me.  It was a quick cutter though, especially with all our trees.  The Wheel Horse feels better and has a huge cool factor.  Despite the steel frame, the robin's egg blue plastic tub of the Dixon was not 'manly'!

We are both looking forward to the rear discharge deck - now we can go counter-clockwise along the fence line and trees too!  The cone clutches on the Dixon were taking a clockwise set.

Thanks for asking.  We've learned a lot just searching and reading old posts.

Chuck & Sally

Nice tractor, Chuck. I have a similar 857. When you say you like to mow fast how fast can you mow with the 856?  Is 2nd gear realistic?  Mine seems to really struggle in 2nd. Just curious. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Very nice job on that ride, outstanding.

Glenn

wallfish
10 hours ago, HuntzNSam said:

Despite the steel frame, the robin's egg blue plastic tub of the Dixon was not 'manly'!

Like drinking out of a straw, it's just hard to look cool doing it.

W9JAB

Where did the battery  go?

HuntzNSam

csshannuth,

We don’t know.  It is our first Horse and we picked it up late December.  We’re not picky about grass appearance, so if we keep up with the mowing, I’m hoping for 3rd. A little off the top, you know. The back yard, over the septic field, always poses a challenge though, so we may be over-optimistic. It gets wet and long fast in the Spring.

John – How’d you know I always set the straw aside?  Better to dribble half the margarita through my beard…I’ll even ask for it in a beer mug.

Joe – Murphy’s Law.  Just before the Craigslist buyer for the Dixon was to show, its battery crapped out.  The WH was the donor.  We’ll install the new one when we need it.

Thanks all for the questions and compliments.

Chuck & Sally

• Like 1

cschannuth

Chuck,

Thanks. Keep us posted if you don't mind. 

Craig

Retired Wrencher

Chuck. Well done on the 856. I am sure you will like it all summer long. I just blow mine off every time I mow. keep it clean that way. Enjoy.

AMC RULES

:clap: Like night & day there...

hard to believe it's the same :wh: . 

JC 1965

Looks great, thanks for sharing.    :thumbs2:

HuntzNSam

04/01/17, Despite all the rain early this week, it dried out and got sunny enough to mow today.  I was listening and I think we were first in the neighborhood.  3rd gear mowing was no problem with the 8HP, but we used 2nd or 1st as the situation demanded.  Standing water, and the soggy slope of the drainage ditch were no problem in 1st gear with the 23" tires - just muscled through with nary a tire slip.  The Turf Savers are well-named and nothing got chewed up.  I always had to drag the old rider out of the ditch as the itty-bitty wet tire lost traction and churned grass to mud.  I was tempted to get ag's for the cool look, but after seeing how little imprint we left in the wet grass, I'm glad we got the tires we did.  The mower ran great and the deck cuts nicely!  It always shows after we mow that the yard needed it.

Both Sam and I were grinning from ear to ear.  The grass clippings cleaned off the mower with a bit of light brooming .  We're celebrating with a victory Gin & Tonic. It's going to be a fun summer! 

Thanks for listening,

Chuck & Sally

Sam 1st mow B.jpg

Huntz_1st_mow.jpg

Sam_1st_mow_A.jpg

• Like 2

W9JAB

I was always impressed what this 8H.P. belt driven tractor could do,

and snickered when I walked by 20+ H.P. units at Home Depot.