Rustyred

Assembly time!! Nut/bolt torque matter? Use any threadlocker?

Rustyred

Well, we stripped our 1979 C-81 down until every nut, bolt and component was separated. Everything (except the engine which is the one thing still to overhaul) is painted and ready to go.

Two questions: 

1. Are there any nuts/bolts anywhere for which I need to worry about torque? 

2. Does threadlocker need to be used anywhere in assembly?

Please excuse the ignorance. I'm happy people are will to help out!

WHX??

Hey no problem Rusty except for the fact that there are no :text-coolphotos:

1. Torque them all if YOU feel the need to. Not really necessary but some guys sleep better at night. Torque value charts for common fasteners can be had for download & printing for the shop  anywhere on the "net.  As for the motor - yes torque all to manual specs. One advantage about torqueing to the charts is you avoid over tightening, twisting off and more cussing.  :angry-cussingblack: A hobbyist's set of click style of torque wrenches can be had at HF for little $.

2. Again if it makes YOU feel better go for it. Not really necessary if using lock washers or other type of fastener lock device. if you do use it and especially the RED high strength flavor, heat will more than likely be necessary to remove it. So try not to use it around seals and things that don't heat well.  Read and heed the Loctite instructions. Use where indicated in engine manuals.  Still not a terrible idea to check & do a visible inspection for loose fasteners once in awhile. Use just the reverse.... anti-seize anywhere you had to :angry-cussingblack: at something to get apart during disassembly.  Keep in mine these little red guys will not be flying at 33,000 feet or going down the road at the posted legal limit so if a bolt loosens up no life will be in jeopardy.:auto-ambulance: 

Except when you have a plow day and some of your bro's tractors start shedding hardware & engine internals all over the turf you need to mow and just sharpened the blades! :no:

Others will be along to chime in on things I have missed. Good luck & have fun with your build! :)

Edited by WHX9
speeling
  • Like 3

pfrederi

In many WH parts listing they used Eslock nuts/bolts.  The had an locking adhesive (Like loctite??) For those and most things I use lock washers....

12 hp Kohler

Hey while we're on the c81 subject I have a 1978 c81 and was woundering if any one could give me an idea on the value. It does not have mower deck but it does run and is in decent condition. Really the only problem with it is that the seat is a little cracked up but other than that it is a great running tractor.IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.c3df7895058f78ba80b7cf97012822cb.JPG

• Like 2

squonk

In lieu of lock-tite, I use the star or internal toothed lock washers. They give a little better appearance on a show or restored unit. If it's a worker and gonna get beat and banged, regular lock washers are fine. :banana-wrench:

Howie

Most of the nuts on my Raider 12 were the ny-lok nuts. They have a piece of nylon in the top of them, keeps them from loosing up.

If I have to use the threadlocker I use the blue. Local racer turned me on to it years ago, he used it on his sprint car.

Tankman

Internal star washers, lock washers, locknuts. I use lots of SS hardware. Most off the shelf at Lowes.

If not, Fastenal.

Critical engine hardware, by the book!

Always Never-Seez or Threadlocker Blue (no heat required to remove the bolt if necessary).

Never-Seez.jpg.7a1a7954568390fd5cf6c502b32764e4.jpg

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 2

can whlvr

as far as bolts on tractor you don't need to torque any of them,on an engine or tranny yes for sure,make sure you snug them up good and tight and you will be fine,i would use thread locker on all dog point screws,like the tranny shifter screw,wheel hubs,and the pulley locker grub screws,

• Like 1

Digger 66
On 3/3/2017 at 3:17 PM, Rustyred said:

2. Does threadlocker need to be used anywhere in assembly?

If you have fasteners that are subject to severe vibration and have tried everything to keep them from coming loose , these are the ultimate solution :

http://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/wedge-locking/washers/introduction/

ranger
48 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

If you have fasteners that are subject to severe vibration and have tried everything to keep them from coming loose , these are the ultimate solution :

http://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/wedge-locking/washers/introduction/

I'll second that, Nord-lock washers are great where you have excesses of vibration and shock. We use them at work on various parts of runway cleaning equipment to reduce chance of 'F.O.D'.