Donellis

What engine do I replace it with?

Donellis

I have a 653 Wheel Horse and they Tecumseh engine went bad what do I replace it with that will match up with the engine mounts?

WHX??

Kinda posted in the wrong forum Donellis not many members will see it here. Maybe we get a moderator to move it. Guys will then be along to advise.

Racinbob

A Kohler  7 or 8 hp will bolt right in. Just don't use the plate that's under the Techy. :)

• Like 5

WHX??

Thank you mods.

You might want consider  a Harbor Freight predator motor in the 6.5 to 8  HP flavor. . Might have to rearrange some mounting holes  but not too terribly difficult. Might be easier to find than an appropriate Kohler. Can't beat the price as well. You can get the specs & dimensions from their site (HF) to see what you might need to do.

• Like 3

fast88pu

I was going to say a nice Chevy LT4 out of the C7 Z06 vette. 650hp should be comparable to the old techy lol. 

• Like 1

richmondred01

Plenty of Kohler k181 out there. 

• Like 1

ACman
14 hours ago, squonk said:

imgres.jpg.249cf7e6d43798db4793e9d1d88ce5da.jpg :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright: :banana-wrench:

I like @squonk's version of a roundhood BIG BLOCK !!!  :lol: ...

There's always the HF swaps...cheap and not to difficult.

Place a want ad in the classifieds for a replacement Techy (:confusion-shrug:mine always start) Or Kohler K-141(6hp) , K-161(7hp) ,K-181(8hp) 

Check with some of or vendors (A-Z tractor) may have what your looking for .

Try a :text-search: on CL using [forsale] [all] [kohler engine] ... I found my nos k-91 for $99 this way :D . It was listed under antiques , so I'd never of found it if not searching under [all] .

Check your local scrap yard (they also know all the local scrappers and hoarders)  , mine has a lawnmower section or see if there's a lawnmower graveyard nearby .

Good luck :handgestures-thumbup: and keep us posted !

ohiofarmer

I did a HF swap in a small frame wagon puller. Harbor freight is super easy, but i did nor have a double  drive pulley to think about an the wagon puller/sprayer

First, i thought like a carpenter and made a perfectly square piece of plywood 16"x16" or so. Then I made sure that the engine was mounted perfectly square in the approximate center of the plywood. If it is not perfect, then adjustments can be made accordingly on the plywood Next, slide the plywood just to line up the pulleys. Once that was done, I marked the edges of the frame made the engine plate exactly 1.5" wider than the frame rails on each side and mounted 2 pieces of 1.5" angle underneath the plate that slide right next to the frame of the tractor. Table saws are nice to use for accuracy

Now the engine is mounted perfectly square to the tractor. Add the pulleys and experiment with the engine sliding forward and back by c-clamping the angle irons to the frame. Once you are satisfied, drill the angles through the frame and bolt it in.

I have always had problems trying to mount engines exactly accurate to a fixed plate. This system gives you a second chance. I will take some pictures of the process and post them ASAP.

The first picture shows the engine mounted to the engine plate and  pulley position aligned. Next,shows the angle irons added underneath letting the engine plate slide forward and back. The third shows the plate flipped over. the notch is for draining the oil. Notice that the angle irons stick out from the plate. That is so you can add hold downs to the front and back and fasten it through the top of the tractor frame, shown in the last picture. The sliding feature lets you clamp it on and run it to check the belt tension.before drilling

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1