slim67

paint on decals

slim67

Has anyone ever had to remove paint that was sprayed over decals? I have some ideas but would like to hear yours. Both hood decals and frame decal have been sprayed over.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Is it just overspray, or actually painted over. If it is overspray I would start with something like WD-40 or Seafoam Creep.

• Like 2

WHX??

Are you going to repaint the hood? If so remove the decals with however you are going to prep the hood and put new ones on. If not @stevasaurus knows a way to do it. 

• Like 2

Terry M

Send a PM to @Shynon...I've watched him remove paint off of original decals with good success..  Just can't remember what he used..

• Like 2

WHX??

That's why I kept my mouth shut Terry....Steve told me what to use but CRS and didn't want Slim to screw up his decals. I think it was acetone but????

• Like 1

Terry M
6 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

That's why I kept my mouth shut Terry....Steve told me what to use but CRS and didn't want Slim to screw up his decals. I think it was acetone but????

I think it's risky no matter what you use or how you do it.    

• Like 3

857 horse

Ever hear 2 neighborhood kids talking loud,,,and you wounder.....are they just loud or friends arguing.????

well kids..........this looks like the street corner,,,,,olololoolol

I'm just happy they don't have launch codes....But I did see an extra key.....

Ducking in Va

• Like 2

Shynon
1 hour ago, Terry M said:

Send a PM to @Shynon...I've watched him remove paint off of original decals with good success..  Just can't remember what he used..

Acetone or Lacquer thinner, you need to be careful with them as they can eat up the decal.

PO had spray painted this 1045 with some orange paint, I washed it off with Lacquer thinner.

IMG_5712.JPG

IMG_5734.JPG

• Like 5

slim67

Thanks everyone for the tips. My Dad suggested handcleaner to start with. I will contact Shynon also. I know there is a chance of failure but I figure what can it hurt to try. I will keep you informed as I will try to mess with it Saturday along with the trans I was supposed to do last Sunday. You all know what i did last Sunday, so I have a good excuse. 

00n0n_57jis7H7qKh_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I like actone, just don't soak the decal with this.  A little on a cloth will loosen the paint (soften) and a little more will clean it off.  It works very easy...no hard or long rubbing.  :)  Do in a well ventilated area.

• Like 5

ACman

If you watch to much TV like me you see some cool things . "What's in the Barn" is a show on Velocity ( DirecTV channel 281) and he deals with 100 yr. old motorcycles at the end of this clip he gives a tip of using just plan old rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip . This might not  be a strong enough chemical for your project (maybe mineral spirits or acetone) but may aid some others with cleaning off a painted serial # tag .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNCRp0LWux0

Edited by ACman

slim67

Thanks again guys for the advice. I will attempt it tomorrow. How about brake fluid?

rmaynard

My philosophy has always been to use the least damaging product first. Most spray paints are solvent or mineral based and will require something to break down the surface. Older decals were laminated with a pretty tough clear vinyl surface, but vinyl can be damaged by solvents. I usually try rubbing compound first, then mineral spirits, then 99% isopropol alcohol, then acetone, then lacquer thinner, in that order. Metal plates like ID tags are not laminated nor coated, just silk-screen printed. Very difficult to clean without damage.

slim67
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

My philosophy has always been to use the least damaging product first. Most spray paints are solvent or mineral based and will require something to break down the surface. Older decals were laminated with a pretty tough clear vinyl surface, but vinyl can be damaged by solvents. I usually try rubbing compound first, then mineral spirits, then 99% isopropol alcohol, then acetone, then lacquer thinner, in that order. Metal plates like ID tags are not laminated nor coated, just silk-screen printed. Very difficult to clean without damage.

That makes sense.I am anxious to try.