Sign in to follow this  
bulgeremb

Kohler K301 Solid State Ignition Systems

bulgeremb

Hello, I am very new to this site so bare with me. I have a Wheel Horse Charger 12 with a Kohler K301 12HP engine on it. I recently lost spark on it and am getting very frustrated with it. It has the solid state ignition it and I have replaced the coil with a used one and a new trigger coil and still no spark. I bought both parts on ebay so I don't even know if one of those are bad or if my stator is bad. Anyone have any quick tests I can run to check them or does anyone have a good used stator I can buy? I can be e-mailed at bulgeremb@yahoo.com. Thank you for your time.

Duff

Hi, bulgeremb, and :whistle: ! Glad you found us!

I'm not good with engines but I'm sure someone will be along to help you. Lots of knowledge on this site and many people happy to help out!

Again, :whistle: !

Oh....in case you hadn't heard........ :dunno:

Duff :thumbs:

jerrell

:whistle: Hello and welcome to RS, just wait until this pm and you will get your answer, not to hot on electronics, but in saying that , i have a 17 hp kohler and put new points, plugs, and dealer tried to talk me into converting it to solid state, said it was cheaper, the parts cost about 20 bucks and the coil and points cost a lot more than that. BUT my point is , i thought the solid state did away with the points condenser, and coil, ,, do you still have to have a coil with solid state?????? :thumbs:

Sparky

Your motor can be converted over to a points/coil/condenser type. I did it a few years back to a Charger 12 with the same issues your having. All these parts can be bought new instead of taking the E-Bay gamble on electronic stuff.

Mike.....

TT

:whistle: Eric! I'm glad you finally made it here!

I have already conversed with Eric through several e-mails and apparently a conventional battery ignition swap is out of the question because the block is not drilled for points. He has already spent quite a bit of money and still doesn't have a running tractor.

I directed him here to post a wanted ad for a stator since the one I have is questionable on condition.

Can anyone else offer him some parts, suggestions, or assistance? :thumbs:

Teddy da Bear

Wow......when I have a kohler problem, I go to C&C Products of South Bend Indiana... If it exists...that guy (Roger) can find it. They specialize in kohler.

My next suggestion is also costly.......Just look for a replacement engine

if you really want that horse to work. Then repair the original when the

part becomes available.

:thumbs: Glad you can join us!

TT

The replacement stator IS still available but lists for over $325 new. (you could buy a lot of point sets for $325! :whistle: )

There is currently one on eBay, but is also expensive.

I was fortunate to find all of the proper holes for mounting the points already there on the 301 I converted, but I know that some blocks were not drilled. If Eric was closer to me, I'd attempt to put the holes in the block on his tractor. :thumbs:

Sparky

So he definitely doesnt need the trigger thing or the coil thing(my terminology is probably wrong)?

I dont have a Stator but might have the other parts from when I did my conversion. Only problem is that I never knew which component went bad, so I just did the conversion.

Mike..........

refracman

Eric I have located a stator for you

sent a pm

TJ

:thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

Eric,

there are two wires going to the bottom of the coil. Once goes to the ignition switch. Disconnect that and see if you get a spark.

If that does not help let me know and I will help.

Do yo happen to have access to an oscilloscope?

What is the history of this engine (e.g. what happened right before it died)?

Jerrell, FYI this is an Original equipment electronic ignition, not at all the same as a points-converted-to electronic ignition.

:thumbs: