jgrammer243

1975 d160

jgrammer243

So I am new to the wheelhorse game, however I stumbled upon a D160 with a loader and backhoe that I couldn't pass up. After just a few dollars spent I got it running. all hydraulics work, but the tractor wouldn't move. Found axle shaft broken on the drivers side. Dropped the backhoe off and dropped the transmission. Split the case and found all the carnage... 2 needle bearings fell apart, a differential bolt was sheared off in two places. The half of the differential where the axle shaft broke off in was pretty tore up. Finding parts is my biggest issue so far. I've found the axle seals and needle bearings, however the differential seems more difficult. Is there any place anyone is getting parts from that I'm missing? Any help is appreciated. Pictures to follow!

jeff 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:greetings-wavingyellow: Have you tried contacting...

any of our very own :rs:vendors yet?  

:WRS:

• Like 2

pfrederi

Welcome to red square.  Take a deep breath this will be a bit of a project.  The catastrophic failure in the transaxle will probably have damaged the hydro system that drives the tractor.  the FEL an most likely the back hoe run off a separate system.

There is a manula here to show you how to rebuild the hydro unit and transaxle. 

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/category/24-automatic-hydro/

There are also some how to vids .threads here

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/144-transmissions/

You will probably be looking at a fairly major project but the end result should be great

• Like 5

daveoman1966

This is the 1975 D-160 gearbox....  what items #  do you need?

d-160 gears.jpg

• Like 3

roadapples

Jeff, you are a newbie that will be the envy of many RS members. A loader and a backhoe...:handgestures-thumbupright:     :WRS:

• Like 4

KC9KAS

jgrammer243

i am looking for 4-19 part number 101696. The inside where the axle goes through is a bit chewed up where it twisted. i second guessed trying to smooth it up but i'd much rather have new/like new. i'm not positive how much it would mess with the tolerances. thank you! @daveoman1966

IMG_2754.JPG

Edited by jgrammer243
tagging
  • Like 6

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

maxiblue

Hello and welcome to RED SQUARE Your loader is easy all the cylinders only use "O" rings and have no so call packing, backhoe is easy also. It is the tractor you would need to look for parts so here is a good place and ebay also.

Good luck that's a real good you have there.

• Like 1

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

daveoman1966

I have the parts you want....just sent you a PM a few  inutes ago.

daveoman@windstream.net

• Like 2

Texas Todd

@daveoman1966 should be renamed "Easy Button"

Nice!

I'd like to see the how the backhoe attaches. I have a loader but am curious what to look for in a backhoe and if it uses the same hydraulic pump as the loader.

Thanks!

• Like 1

jgrammer243

the backhoe has a separate pump!@Texas Todd

IMG_2932.JPG

IMG_2933.JPG

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Thanks @jgrammer243 ! Man that beats all I ever stepped in. That's a whole lot of structures under the tractor! Seems like there wouldn't be enough space for all of it, with the FEL mount to boot.

What do the forks at the front of the two big side rails hook into?  I couldn't tell from the pic at the top. It sorta looked like the footrest rods. I guess I could just go find the manual and answer my own questions....I know that's what some of you guys are thinking....:angry-chillpill:

jgrammer243

haha it's all good i'll take some pictures tomorrow! it's a slotted hole that bolts underneath the frame. FEL is an Ark manufacturing . backhoe is brantly mfg. more pics to follow, as well as the trans rebuild! 

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Looking forward to it! Mine is an Ark 550 as well. 

• Like 1