edwroy

Wiring Cab Lights

edwroy

So my question is: when adding cab lights do you wire directly into the light system of the tractor or do you wire to the battery with a fuse wired in line?

Would be interested how some have wired their lights.

Thank you,

Edwroy

Toro Bill

Depends if you want them to turn on/off with the key.  If you have kids around who like to play on the tractor, I would add them to the lighting circuit, but be careful not to overload it. If not, hard wire them to the battery with an inline fuse, it will be easier. 

• Like 1

cleat

Best bet is using a relay driven by a switch, either an additional one or the regular light switch.

On my big tractor I added extra switches so all the lights do not need to be on at once.

Relay will handle the main load and can run from the battery/ solenoid with an inline fuse for protection.

• Like 3

WHX??

I just run right off the battery with a switch & inline fuse....but then I am the only one that runs the tractor so I know....lighted toggles in case I forget.:blink:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I ran from the battery, with an in line ruse, then to a switch.

Glenn

• Like 2

KC9KAS

If you are using LED lights you can use the existing light circuit, as they do not draw a lot of amperage, thus overloading the wiring.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

You could go to the extreme like I did, depending what you are adding.

obone

You can buy relay's at the auto store. (12v 10 to 20 bucks). This will save you wear and tear on your contacts. If you run a wire from your key switch to a light switch to a relay control terminals then connect the relays output terminals one to the battery and one to the lights. This way all the load goes through the relay and saves your switch. Relays are easier to replace then your key switch. And do you really want that current going to a metal switch that you grab?

• Like 1

DougC
12 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I ran from the battery, with an in line ruse, then to a switch.

Glenn

I did what Glenn did since the LED lights were such a light load and added a 12v. power port so I could plug in my amber flashing LED roof beacon and still be able to remove it quickly and use on my truck when required. I run everything through a 15 amp inline fuse located very close to the pos. terminal of the tractors battery. :)

100_1422.JPG

• Like 3

squonk
17 hours ago, DougC said:

I did what Glenn did since the LED lights were such a light load and added a 12v. power port so I could plug in my amber flashing LED roof beacon and still be able to remove it quickly and use on my truck when required. I run everything through a 15 amp inline fuse located very close to the pos. terminal of the tractors battery. :)

100_1422.JPG

I can see you now Doug. Travelling through the streets of Iowa waving to adoring crowds! :) :greetings-wavingblue:

• Like 1

DougC

You should see the women chase me when I have the winter cab panels and doors installed and all the tractors lights and cab lights turned on.....

That LED programmable amber flashing beacon just drives them into a frenzy Mike!!!!!     :lol:

• Like 1