Sign in to follow this  
KC9KAS

Need an Ignition Switch

KC9KAS

Looking for a replacement ignition (magneto type) for a 1969 RAIDER 12.

Wheel Horse part number is 8362. Thanks!

pfrederi

Are you looking for originality or functionality.  Those old heavy duty switches (carried full stating amperage) are expensive.

Still available from toro for about $70

Edited by pfrederi

KC9KAS
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Are you looking for originality or functionality.  Those old heavy duty switches (carried full stating amperage) are expensive.

Still available from toro for about $70

Yeah, I know....Tractor belongs to someone else. I need to check with them to see what they want to do.

I figured I would get any options ready before I called to report.

I have found that a lot ignition switches have the exact same terminal layout whether they were made for battery ignition or magneto ignition.

Meaning two rows of 2 terminals, and the 5th terminal centered below in a 3rd row. Really need to watch that I get the correct switch!

wildman

OUCH!

pfrederi

Cheap alternative is a Magneto switch from a big box store or TSC and an inexpensive solenoid (we aren't moving mega amps here) together probably around $20+/-

• Like 1

KC9KAS
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Cheap alternative is a Magneto switch from a big box store or TSC and an inexpensive solenoid (we aren't moving mega amps here) together probably around $20+/-

You were posting while I was typing....Someone added a solenoid thinking that was the problem, but I think the battery ignition switch for a magneto is the problem.

I was thinking I could do as you say....If anyone thinks this is not possible, please let me know!

pfrederi

Be very careful here if some one put a battery ignition switch in a magneto tractor serious damage may have occurred

If there is a solenoid present just find a cheap magneto switch from Lowes etc.

Heavy wire battery + to the solenoid, Heavy wire Solenoid to starter. Light wire S ignition term to the small solenoid terminal.  There will be 3 wires from the engine.  two will be the same color they are the AC source for the charging system and go to the regulator.  the third wire is the Mag kill it will go to the M terminal on your cheap swiitch

• Like 1