Jim Leh

Electrical

Jim Leh

Starter spins, wont engage. Suspect corrosion/grime preventing slide up and engagement. Ground, battery strength have been eliminated as they are good. Worked at beginning of winter, then had to be "prodded" with screwdriver, and finally nothing but spin.Have starter off tractor, removed black "cap" covering retaining nut and spring. How do I get the retaining nut off?  Any other tips? I'm very fearful of taking it all apart as I see numerous tubes about brushes being impossible to get back together properly. Pretty sure my problem is just on the outside.  Thanks, Jim 

image.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:  Clean it up with some spray carb. cleaner, blow it out and repeat, blow it out again and then use some dry graphite lubricant spray.

• Like 5

Jim Leh

So your saying I do not need to take nut off?   That it won't gain me anything. Just cleaner and air to free it up?

953 nut

Image result for good housekeeping seal of approval images

• Like 1

pfrederi

Interestingly Kohler service manual recommends lubing the spline and pinion with Kohler Electric Starter Drive Lubricant.  # 52 357 01.  I actually had my dealer order some have only used it once as i don't have many starter issues.  The tube describes it as General Electric Versilube (G322L) lubricating grease.  based on a soap-thickened methyl alkyl silicone fluid.  Sounds appetizing doesn't it. 

I have used graphite dry lube for years with out any issues.

grease.JPG

• Like 1

stevasaurus

They are not hard to tear down, or put back together.  Check out this thread.  That nut is hard to get off without opening the starter.  Like what was said above, you may not have to open it...just clean around that star pinion.  :)

• Like 1

Jim Leh
34 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Interestingly Kohler service manual recommends lubing the spline and pinion with Kohler Electric Starter Drive Lubricant.  # 52 357 01.  I actually had my dealer order some have only used it once as i don't have many starter issues.  The tube describes it as General Electric Versilube (G322L) lubricating grease.  based on a soap-thickened methyl alkyl silicone fluid.  Sounds appetizing doesn't it. 

I have used graphite dry lube for years with out any issues.

grease.JPG

35 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Image result for good housekeeping seal of approval images

Freed it up with air, wd40, and carb cleaner. Dried area and lubed with graphite. Thanks to all who helped. This is a great site with so many helpful people..Jim 

• Like 2