19richie66

Skittles, the GT14

ztnoo
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I am planning on making a new fuel tank for it made of 1/8" aluminum sheet.

Now THAT I want to see!

All these plastics tanks are eventually going to go to you know where and be of no use to anyone for anything.

• Like 2

WHX??

The fresh red paint Richie ...I dunno to like it or not...skittles was kinda growing on me! :ychain::lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19richie66

Getting close! Measured my axles from hub to hub and it is really close to stock gt14 width maybe even a hair wider. :thumbs: So hopefully if I can get my son over here this week, there may be an Eaton 1100 transplanted into Skittles soon. 

IMG_5564.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

dtallon

Thanks for all your posts on this project.  I came across it looking for some info for my GT14.  I'm really curious to see how it turns out.  It seems like your customizing ideas nicely address some of the shortcomings of this model.  Keep up the good work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19richie66
5 hours ago, dtallon said:

I'm really curious to see how it turns out. 

Me too! :laughing-rolling: 

Thanks for following along. Its a journey.

• Haha 3

Texas Todd
On 10/19/2017 at 6:08 PM, 19richie66 said:

Almost hate to cover it :think:

Did you putting any baffle material into the can? I haven't ever cut one of those open to see what's in their. But I have 2 old ones and should. I was wondering what baffle material like wrapping a motorcycle baffle would do to the sound?

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Texas Todd said:

Did you putting any baffle material into the can? I haven't ever cut one of those open to see what's in their. But I have 2 old ones and should. I was wondering what baffle material like wrapping a motorcycle baffle would do to the sound?

I was wondering as well.....

19richie66

For now it is just ported with the holes and half moon cut outs at the end of the inlet pipe. The outlet pipe has no holes but is about 2" from the end of the back plate. Its an experiment to say the least. I am hoping it is as quiet as my 418/417's. I thought about packing it with stainless steel wool but then if it doesn't flow enough, it would be too restricted. We'll see soon. I'll try and post a short video when it's done.

I dont think there is any packing in the factory mufflers. All I have seen have had many smaller holes for baffles instead of packing.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 19richie66 said:

For now it is just ported with the holes and half moon cut outs at the end of the inlet pipe. The outlet pipe has no holes but is about 2" from the end of the back plate. Its an experiment to say the least. I am hoping it is as quiet as my 418/417's. I thought about packing it with stainless steel wool but then if it doesn't flow enough, it would be too restricted. We'll see soon. I'll try and post a short video when it's done.

Keeping in mind I am not a welder. Is there a way to tack it together fairly Loosely in case you don't like the noise?

19richie66

Yes. You are diving into my mind. Scary. I am going to have him tack the front cover and brace. Making sure it fits and seeing how it sounds and then he can weld it up. If it is too loud, I'll pack it. Vinsrj made that flowmaster style muffler with no packing and it sounds good. We'll see.

• Like 1

19richie66

Waiting on some muscle! Also I checked my width and it is identical to the sunstrand transaxle I took out. This is good.

IMG_5587.JPG

• Like 4

ztnoo

Looks like you're going to go ahead and use the five lug hubs that came with it, instead of the four lug GT 14 hubs???

The GT 14 hubs have a lot more axle surface, I believe.

As I recall, the axle surface length, they are about 4 3/8".

What is the axle surface length of the five lug hubs?

• Thanks 1

19richie66

4" for the gt compared to 2-1/2" for the 5 lug. Not as much as the gt or D series but it should be more than strong enough. I already have custom 5 lug wheels. I figure if these 5 lug hubs were good enough for say the 520's it should be more than enough for me. I am in no way going to work this as hard as it could be worked. 

Although I havent welded the centers into my rims yet and I do still have the original wheels with 4 lug centers....... and the rims are shot but the centers could be removed and put in my 15"x10" shells. Well another project 😁

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2

19richie66

And thats a wrap! Plenty of room. Now the fun starts.

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

OK, thanks for the explanation.

All I was attempting to do was point out the additional (by a large percentage) available axle surface of the GT 14 hubs.

I just went out and measured an extra set I have, and they measure a full 4 3/8" in shaft length.

Your hubs 2.5" axle surface length divided by 4.375" axle surface length equates to a a 57% difference in surface length. A significant differential.

2.50 / 4.375 = .5714

Just something to ponder and catalog for the future reference if hub slippage becomes a problem.

You've got a great looking restoration/modification going on there.........in FL, where you can work on it almost any time other than during a summer downpour or a hurricane.

I'll continue to follow with great interest.

I can't imagine what you and Dr. Trimble would come up with for a GT 14 modification project if you were next door neighbors......facepalm.gif.5942935d20fad73e2d85a0f2c41cb895.gif

59ee65dec097a_2pop.gif.693d282b7ea133e7a6a7ef87fc640b67.gif  bowing.gif.009b669b434804e5772fb233ea073c24.gif

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

If Aldon lived next door to me, I'd be divorced. But oh, the cool stuff we could come up with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Aldon

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ztnoo

It would be GT14 Party City!

3tens.gif.4113111eb5548b63505dd6bfe6a5ac1e.gif

• Haha 3

19richie66

Muffler done, fits like a glove. Hope it sounds good. 

IMG_5593.JPG

IMG_5594.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

JPWH

Looks good Richie. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

19richie66

Temporarily wired her up and gravity fed some fuel to it. I think the plug needs replaced but it ran and didn't sound to bad.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

JPWH

Sounds good! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

19richie66

Got the top tranny plate made and welded into the rear main support. Still have to trim off the excess at the rear of the plate. Should be nice and strong now. 

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5618.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

Bling Bling. Added some knurled knobs to the levers. It's the little things...... :laughing-rolling:

IMG_5624.JPG

Edited by 19richie66
Forgot picture........ and I know everyone loves pictures 😂
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Texas Todd

Those really set it off! Well done!

814bcab6eb21e095c2b39caa14a0c4f57188c76dbc89bde82c3aa08882683b01.jpg.20b6099c5910be1f1956432d328ca4e4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3