19richie66

Skittles, the GT14

bmsgaffer

Oh I like where this is going... Following!

19richie66

Engine is out.

IMG_5225.JPG

19richie66

Set the "new" motor in place, figured out my plate for the mounting. Crank is same height as original motor so I do not have to go up any. Air cleaner is the only thing that hits the hood. Plenty of room under it. I really do not want to cut the hood so I will be looking for an adapter. Also the fuel tank is not a problem as my son is going to weld me one up. Battery is fine although I do need to trim about 1/2" off the front edge.

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_5235.JPG

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 8

19richie66

The more I thought about it the more it bothered me. I bought this tractor because I love the look of the GT14 with the air cleaner out the side, fenders and overall design. I couldn't bring myself to cut it up to put that engine in it. Maybe if I had another to keep it company but down here these just don't exsist. So I decided to sell the v-twin and located a K341 that I bought to put in it. This motor powered a backup fire pump at an aircraft factory. It was fired up only for maintenance and was never actually used. The seller said it probably has less than 50 hours on it. Its clean and purrs like a tiger. Should make a nice replacement for the worn out 14. Also got my power steering lines welded up. 

IMG_5331.JPG

IMG_5332.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

953 nut
18 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

less than 50 hours on it. Its clean and purrs like a tiger

And it has the battery ignition system rather than the "Trigger system"           :handgestures-thumbupright:

You could go up to VA and buy one at the Sept. 16 auction, they have a couple of GT-14s.

• Like 2

19richie66

Little steps......Fabbed up a new transmission tunnel cover and dash plate. Can't let Aldon have all the fabrication fun. 

IMG_5397.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Aldon

Nice work Ritchie!

i appreciate the company😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

Looking good Richie. Nice work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

Nice job on the fab work Richie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aldon

Awesome. Love the Big tractor look.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ztnoo

WOW!!!

GT 14 mod documentations go on and on and on.

OUTSTANDING!

2tu.gif.ec9e1f2b7e1d4487f60c50706940b912.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Thanks guys!

• Like 2

CasualObserver

Love that look.. sort of like an Allis Chalmers 620. Nice job!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

I love the little shade effect the upper fender gives it. The light lenses look different from each other, fill us in.

IMG_5426.JPG

• Like 4

19richie66

They have removable lenses that let it be a spot or a flood. May make one of each on each side and have separate switches for each pair. That requires planning and I haven't got that far yet. :thumbs:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

Great idea and excellent place to put lights for night work - those should shine right where you need it most at the magic 45* angle in front of the tractor - yet still keep the lights back far enough to see a mowing deck or blower . Only other good place would be over head on a roll bar - that's my next build project on the D when it's back in service . Seems between work and short days in the winter I'm always trying to move snow or sometimes finish mowing in the dark - being stuck with bad eyesight requires a lot of light and I love how you integrated it into the tractor . Looks like they were there when new - great job .

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Thank you Sarge! Much appreciated. Thats kinda where I am going with this tractor. Love the looks of the GT14 so I decided nice tastefully done modifications that hopefully look like they were made that way without taking away too much from the original design.Its not going to be a factory restoration by any means but I want someone to question "was that factory?" Only the purests would really know. :thumbs:

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3

19richie66

The transmission swap is next, foot controls and then power steering. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fast88pu
8 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Are you controlling the power steering with the hydro rear end? 

DennisThornton
10 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Power Steering?!?

19richie66
16 hours ago, fast88pu said:

Are you controlling the power steering with the hydro rear end? 

I will be running it off the Eaton 1100 I am putting in it. The power steering I am using came off a Green gx345 tractor I parted. I am using the ram and rotary valve from it. I took the axles from a spare GT14 transaxle and swapped them into the Eaton 1100 like Aldon did his manual trans. Now I have the correct axle width but with a 520H transaxle/pump. The foot controls come from the same green tractor. Just waiting on gaskets for the transaxle halves.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Excellent 6

ebinmaine

:wwp: !!!!!

Sounds AWESOME! 

DennisThornton
4 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I will be running it off the Eaton 1100 I am putting in it. The power steering I am using came off a FD 345 tractor I parted. I am using the ram and rotary valve from it. I took the axles from a spare GT14 transaxle and swapped them into the Eaton 1100 like Aldon did his manual trans. Now I have the correct axle width but with a 520H transaxle/pump. The foot controls come from the same Jd tractor. just waiting on gaskets for the transaxle halves.

Man!  That's a project!  I'd be hard pressed to convince myself that everything would fit.  I'd get 90% into it and find out it was actually impossible (or really impractical!)

19richie66

Torches, plasma cutter and a mig welder. Teamed up with a big hammer and determination. I hope it works:laughing-rolling:

6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

:wwp: !!!!!

Sounds AWESOME! 

Coming soon to a post near you. :popcorn:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4