Busman

1985 314-A

Busman

Hi guys,

I've been reading the forum for a while but just got my first horse today. 

I picked up this '85 314-A about an hour from me for $250. It's got some surface rust and needs a choke cable but runs great and the mower works too. I'm going to go through and do a full tune-up including oil, air filter, clean up all electrical grounds and connections, drive belt, new blades and definitely a wash. What else would you suggest?  

0225171841-1.jpg

• Like 4

Sparky

:WRS:

I just brought home a 312 hydro today myself!

As well as what you mentioned I would make sure the rear hubs are tight on the axles, take the PTO bell off and apply a thin layer of grease and then make sure you give all the grease zerks a nice shot of grease. I think there are about 6 zerks.

Mike......

608KEB

Clean and grease PTO. Check front wheel bearings.  Change sparkplug and fuel filter. Possibly replace fuel lines. Clean underside  of mower deck and grease. 🙄

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Busman

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned the fuel lines. They are scary. I'm going to replace the whole line and filter with gates barricade 1/4" fuel injection line unless anyone has a better suggestion. That's what I use on my vw because it's ethanol resistant. 

0225171842d-1.jpg

0225171841a-1.jpg

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Busman :WRS: you are on the right track. But I would clean every thing down to the frame. I have done many like this this way you know where you are for reassembly and what you have = leaks bent/ cracked parts. Take shrouds of engine clean everything that has grass or mud away from engine and cooling fins. The fuel lines are very important buy  rubber fuel injector line about $4.00 a foot this good grade of f/line will not break down with today sucky fuel. Rebuild carburetor. last drain tranny fluid put on new filter. Just my :twocents-02cents: Enjoy the project.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher

Sarge

I've been using the new fuel line the shops use on snowmobiles , bikes and atv's ...getting it from Harley dealers and they buy it from Parts Unlimited or something like that . It's the light blue clear stuff - been running that for 5yrs without an issue . Rubber line always will disintegrate over time and plug stuff up , even with non-ethanol fuel .

www.pure-gas.org is your friend , I run 91 octane ethanol-free Philipps 66 here locally - about .75 higher per gallon ....

Sarge

Busman

All great advice. This beast has a lot of surface rust but down here in NW Georgia it's already spring so I'm going to save the tear down for the fall. I'm really excited about this, when I was a kid my father had an early 60s charger that we rebuilt together and now I will do the same with my little boy. I'll definitely be cleaning out the shroud and cooling fins before running down here where are summers average 96f and 100% humidity all summer. 

TIGman

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

Congratulations on your find. :handgestures-thumbupright:

The members have already given you some great advice. Enjoy your "new" :wh:

TDF5G

Looks you scored a good one there!  Great advice from the members too!

:WRS:

Busman

I've got a questions about manuals. I have been searching because I like to have to original manual and all I can find is this: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/tractors/tractor_1986_200-300-400_om_810399r1.pdf  

It states it is for the 3 series tractor but discludes the 314-A.  Is this because it was a one year only tractor?  Is there a better manual for it, maybe one from this site?  I already found the wiring diagram and lube charts.

Thanks again ya'll

can whlvr

I'm not totally positive but pretty sure shes an 86,thats the first year for the 312a,and also the only year for the k,87 had the magnum,she will clean up allright

Edited by can whlvr

gwest_ca

We do not have the 1985 operator manual. The early 1986 manual 810399R1 should work for you but the later and true 1986 manual 810437R1 has the wrong oil capacities for you.

The 14hp auto was only sold in 1985.

This is the parts list

A wiring diagram that should work for you. The pedal switch will be a neutral switch on your auto model.

Garry

Busman

Today I went to install the choke cable I ordered, #112214 and it was about 2" shorter than the original. It is too short to route under the fan housing. What would you recommend I do?

gwest_ca

Can you move it to the face of the blower housing without it contacting the screen?

Looks like it is for a newer model

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/112214/

When you see the price of the correct one you will likely use the one you have if it is the correct one. Suspect the one not available is for the twin cylinder models but I do not know. That's the problem with shared manuals.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/110713/

Garry

Busman
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Can you move it to the face of the blower housing without it contacting the screen?

Looks like it is for a newer model

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/112214/

When you see the price of the correct one you will likely use the one you have if it is the correct one. Suspect the one not available is for the twin cylinder models but I do not know. That's the problem with shared manuals.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/110713/

Garry

Thanks for the link. I have it set up now where it is functional and does not touch the screen. You are right, 63 is pretty steep, after all, the whole tractor cost $250. 

I replaced the drive belt with a wheel horse belt from the toro dealer. The only other thing I'm planning to do is rebuild the carb and put a bushing on the oh so sloppy throttle shaft. 

WHX??

:WRS: and sorry to say this but welcome to our world of some parts costing more than what you paid for the tractor. Do your research on parts availibity and use your shout out here should you need help. Sounds like your off on the right foot.

• Like 1

Sparky

Before you order new parts from a dealer.....think about whether a used part would work. We have a great list of vendors in our classified section that offer used parts. I bet one of them could have set you up with the correct length choke cable for much less than $63.

Mike.........

• Like 3