classicdmax

73' 16hp hydro running issues

classicdmax

The last 2 snow storms I had issues with the way the tractor ran. Initially it would start and run fine for the first 20 minutes or so, then it would begin bog and run rough, then die. Soon after fuel would begin to pour from the air cleaner. I will assume perhaps it was pourly running due to being overfueled. Let it sit an hour and it'll fire back up like nothing happened.

I haven't had any free time to diagnose, I can only assume perhaps carb float may be stuck, crud in the bowl. Last summer I cleaned out bowl, replaced fuel lines, new inline filter, cleaned out tank. I hope to get out for a looksy tomorrow weather pending

any ideas?

thanks

j-

wallfish

You're on the right track. Investigate that float and the valve. The only way fuel can pour out the throat of the carb is if it can pass through that valve

• Like 2

classicdmax

My only concern is im not very carb handy. By valve due you mean choke valve 

wallfish

Pull the carb off and remove the bowl. There is a needle valve which is connected to the float. That is how fuel is metered into the carb.

Remove the float and you will see it. If needed, a carb kit will include a new one. Check the float by shaking it to tell if there is fuel inside of it from a hole. Clean the carb.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

pfrederi

I would also check the engine oil..is it over full or gassy smelling.  Extensive flooding can dump gas into the crank case and that will damage the engine.

• Like 2

classicdmax

Ah good thinking. 

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:  Are you using gas with ethanol in it? That stuff will screw up a fuel system and should be avoided. Go to buyrealgas.com to locate a station that sells non-ethanol gas. Also, "Seafoam" gasoline additive has been a big help for lots of us, get it at auto parts stores or Wallyworld.

jay bee

Watch a couple You Tube videos on Kohler carb overhauls and you will be a whole lot more confident about tackling this project.  It worked for me and I hope it will work for you.  A friend of mine had the same problem and we cured it with an overhaul kit and especially the new needle and seat valve that came in it.

Jim

classicdmax

I am using gas with ethanol, I use the highest octane avail at pump. I do believe the higher octane gas has less ethanol. I do not have any gas stations around with ethanol free at the pump

I also add startron to every can when filled 

classicdmax

Last summer I also purchased one of those eBay aftermarket carbs just to have in inventory if needed, are they worth using??

smoreau
8 minutes ago, classicdmax said:

Last summer I also purchased one of those eBay aftermarket carbs just to have in inventory if needed, are they worth using??

They do work and lots of guys say they fit just fine and have no issues with them. May be a easy fix. For you

classicdmax
7 hours ago, classicdmax said:

Just installed said carb and all seems to be good. Ran for about 45min plus. Nice low idle, revs rights up to max rpm without issue. Only thing I needed to do was pull choke rod and butterfly to clock the lever for proper operation. Also ordered a carb rebuild kit from eBay for old carb to have as a backup

thanks for all the input 

• Like 2

wallfish

Glad to see the problem is solved. Thanks for posting the update.

• Like 2

Sarge

If any fuel pump at a gas station mentions ethanol it's almost always the maximum 10% limit , and sometimes even a bit higher (we've tested some fuel at 17% when we were racing) . The stuff destroys fuel lines from the inside out and breaks down the rubber , yes - even the fuel injection rated line if ran long enough . www.pure-gas.org will list stations within your state that have ethanol-free fuels , most times being 91 octane and at a premium cost as well since it's not subsidized by our tax dollars (not going to inject my opinion here , aarrgghh) . Most places charge $0.60-$1.00 extra per gallon to add insult to injury .

Be careful with that 16hp Kohler , it's a torque monster wanting to toss it's rod if the oil isn't up to par and there is no engine that will replace it correctly without seriously altering the tractor . Make certain there is no fuel in that oil , an oil change is a good idea after any float issues with a carb - cheap insurance .

Sarge

• Like 1

classicdmax

I did check the oil and it seemed fine, but you're right I should change it. I did buy oil yesterday but guess I was being a bit lazy. I'll check that gas station site later today, but am fairly certain there is no ethanol free at the pump in my area 

Sarge

Ask any local hotrod or Harley guys - they know all the secret places to buy good fuel as anything will destroy their pride and joy , along with their wallets...

Sarge

classicdmax

Drained oil yesterday and it did seem a bit gassy. I ran the tractor a couple minutes to loosen up the oil, but it really didn't seem all that warm when draining.....temps were cold. Also dumped a random qt of fresh oil thru to help flush any remaining residue thru. Left the drain plug off overnight because I felt the thick oil wasnt completely drained. Been using amsoil 30wt 4 stroke oil

thanks for the help fellas

• Like 1