stevasaurus

Transmission Interchange in Vertical Shaft Horses

stevasaurus

Every once in a while, somebody will contact me looking for a transmission or gears for their vertical shaft horse.  I have to admit that I really know nothing about these transmissions, but I am hopping that we have some members out there that do, and they are willing to share their knowledge. :bow-blue:  The last time was for a B-111, a horse that was made for 2 years (1978/1979).  The gentleman had the B-111 with the 6 speed "Foote 4000-5" transmission.  The B-111 also came with a 4 speed "Peerless 669".  With the help of  @slammer302  in Missouri, he had the Peerless 669 and sold and mailed it to our gentleman in Michigan to replace has broken Foote transmission.  The Peerless was a direct bolt-in for the B-111 and the gentleman is happily using his B-111 again.  I just got asked again about a replacement or gears for the Peerless 669 for another B-111 in Florida.

We do not have many if any threads on this subject, and I think it would be nice to pool any knowledge that is out there.  So does anybody have any experience in substituting Peerless, Foote and possibly Eaton transmissions in vertical shaft Wheel Horses??  Does anybody have any experience substituting any of the Peerless transmissions??

If you happen to have any of these transmissions laying around, would you put your RS handle in here so we have a place to start to look??  Thank You  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 7

squonk

I worked on one Peerless/Eaton/Tecky transmissions in my life. Never again. Dirty Stinky bentonite grease all over the place. don't know if WH peeerless are the same or not. There is a thread in MOM about a peerless trans. If you decide to click on the link, Have a pile of rags nearby just in case! :) :banana-wrench:

http://myoldmachine.com/topic/3584-how-can-i-get-my-lawn-mower-running-right/

• Like 2

stevasaurus

This is more about bolt patterns and interchangeability.  I know some of the earlier Peerless are throw away...but do the bolt patterns in these transmissions match up??  These vertical shaft horses are getting older, and people (members) are going to be trying to keep them running.  I'm looking to know what fits first, and what you can work on second.  I know most of you would say to junk it and buy a horizontal shaft, but some of these guys are in their 80s and 90s...and they like their horse.  This is only about "manual" transmissions.  Thank you  :)

I also know that we may not have a lot of experience with this sort of thing out there.  Please...if you don't have anything to add to this thread, then don't.  :think:

• Like 3

smoreau

Steve, a lot of the internal parts of these transaxles do fit others as this was the stile i had in my mini ambulance before I went to a hydro unit. The first year i had that tyranny out several times replacing broken gears every weekend during the spook train. I was using used parts from craftsman to JD and many differint mtd's peerless Tran's axles are not meant for anything otherthen cutting grass. They hold up fine for that and will last a long timefor that, but add a heavy trailer oral blower and lots of weight twill give you issues. But like said earlier I was able to rob different parts from different brands of tractors to keep it going for that Halloween. Not all the parts worked, but most of them did fit. I also noticed that WH used the same design and most are the same bolt pattern or have the provisions to fit other tractors. Peerless made lots of these and im sure they didn't compeetly redisgn then for each brand they were building them for. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Thanks Scott, that is exactly the kind of information I am looking for.  Do you happen to remember what the numbers were on some of those trannys?  :)

smoreau

Sorry Steve but not a clue on that. It was several years back and I wasn't picky on parts as every time it failed i was limtied on time and just needed parts. 2 of the trannys were from friends and the others were bought from salvage yards and used tractor parts guys from my area. If it looked close I took it apart and used what I needed. I do have today they are a greasy mess inside and I added a 1/2 quart of 80-90 to the last 2 repares and they did last longer, but they only have fabric seals and they leak every were but lasted twice as long 

• Like 1