PSully

Start of a C-81 Project

PSully

This all started by a Craigslist ad for a stuck K181 which I dubbed the "Kohler Challenge". I paid $50 for the engine, and as I said, it was stuck. it was also minus the flywheel cover, starter, coil, and maybe a few other goodies. Well, it wasn't too bad getting it running once I did a thing or two to it, and found a starter etc. However, it got kind of boring watching it run on the 4x4 base that I made for it, so it was back to Craigslist to find a Wheel Horse to put it on. I found a C-81 which was in need of a K181, so it sounded like something right out of Match.com. :)  I'll post more pics of the C-81 asap, but it is almost as rough as the engine. I'm missing some parts here too, such as the engine pulley, one of the ends off of the left tie rod, and who knows what else, but that's what the internet is for. I had to laugh when I saw that someone screwed a coffee can to the left fender to act as a beer holder! (And you thought that there were no rednecks in Massachusetts!) Oh, I was able to get a pic of the original numbers for the K181 from the seller, and ordered some new decals from Midwest. The numbers on the tractor are: 91-08k802-19088 with 9-61 below. According to the chart, this is a 1979. The engine is a 1973, so I hope that there is no problem because of that. I know that some K181s have the end of the crankshaft drilled and tapped, mine is not. Maybe somebody knows if this is an issue or not.

I'm really looking forward to getting this project going. It's my 12th tractor, and my first Wheel Horse.

Original Cover Numbers.JPG

C-81-1.jpg

KC1.JPG

KC3.JPG

KC7.JPG

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Welcome to Redsquare!

Looks like it has solid bones. That one will be rewarding, I will look forward to your project. This is the best place for wheel horses and the best people too!

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

gwest_ca

Added your tractor serial number to the list and that helped to determine the build date. The 9-61 Julian build date format has shown up before and not how it was normally done. Interesting

Garry

• Like 1

PSully
44 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Added your tractor serial number to the list and that helped to determine the build date. The 9-61 Julian build date format has shown up before and not how it was normally done. Interesting

Garry

This is the tag

C-81 numbers.jpg

wallfish

:WRS:

Think I have an engine pulley with the holes for the PTO setup. I'll have to take a look around but might have the PTO parts too.

The original tie rods didn't have "ends" as they were single piece rods with the "ball joint". Non adjustable. So I assume the ball pulled out of the rod and went missing??? Might have a tie rod around too but I have no idea of the length for your tractor.

PSully

If you have a pulley, that would be awesome! Just send me a PM, and we'll work it out.

PSully

I was able to repair the tie rod, at least for now. I bought a universal tie rod end, and took it apart. After doing so, I saw that the the ball was a little too big to fit into the socket, so I put it in my drill press and turned it down a little with a file. I then swaged that ball end and the original ball end into the rod. This should get me by for a while, and at least I can steer the tractor now. I needed a quick fix because the C-81 was in the back of my truck, and I needed to be able to move it. I was pretty happy with myself until I got the tractor on the ground, and noticed that it is pretty toed out. A quick measurement told me that it's about 7/8" wider in front than in the back. Is there a way to adjust it?

Split ball joint.JPG

Tie Rod.jpg

repaired tie rod.JPG

Toed out.jpg

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I dont believe those can be fixed other than threading the end and putting a new one on. You can check out wheelhorseman1000.com for some nice adjustable replacements. @wheelhorseman1000

• Like 1

Howie

I've never had success fixing those. I turned ends down threaded them and made my own adjustable tie rod. Helps to have a lathe though.

PSully

I don't have a lathe, but I have the the next best thing; a friend who owns a lathe. :)

Seriously though, I can't figure out why the wheels are toed out like that unless something has changed in the geometry of the front end. It seems like something had to move, or wear out at some point. 

wallfish
7 hours ago, PSully said:

Seriously though, I can't figure out why the wheels are toed out like that unless something has changed in the geometry of the front end. It seems like something had to move, or wear out at some point.

Had a couple tractors with that same mystery. My guess is previous owners are crashing the front tires into something.

BUT, did you try moving the tie-rods around? They angle when mounted to the wrong side of the steering rod mount and therefore pull the spindle Ackerman arms closer together which causes the toe out condition. 

PSully
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

Had a couple tractors with that same mystery. My guess is previous owners are crashing the front tires into something.

BUT, did you try moving the tie-rods around? They angle when mounted to the wrong side of the steering rod mount and therefore pull the spindle Ackerman arms closer together which causes the toe out condition. 

i will definitely try that today. One side was already loosely bolted up, so I just assumed that it was on the correct side. Also, thanks for reference to "Ackerman arms". That's two things I learned from you today, and it's still morning coffee time. :)

PSully

I removed both tie rods, and swapped them side for side, and put them in front of the steering rod mount rather than in back as the PO had done. After doing so, the toe-out problem went away. :) 

• Like 2

wallfish

:thumbs:  Glad it was an easy fix.

Think it's actually the angle of the arm which the name "Ackerman" refers too rather than the steering arm itself.

This chart was helpful for building custom stuff with a longer wheel base.

post-9-0-67131300-1372685892_thumb.thumb.jpg.f64061c30f92993b4e35b326a805a00c.jpg

• Like 1

PSully
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

:thumbs:  Glad it was an easy fix.

Think it's actually the angle of the arm which the name "Ackerman" refers too rather than the steering arm itself.

This chart was helpful for building custom stuff with a longer wheel base.

Yes,

Right after I read the term "Ackerman", I looked it up on Wiki. It's kind of cool how even our modern vehicles relate back to the horse and buggy days. I think we take for granted how people before us figured out all this stuff along the way.

Today I'm going to break out the pressure washer, and give the C-81 a some lovin'.

I also need to change the transmission oil.  When I checked it the other day, it looked more like coffee than it did gear oil. Idk, maybe I should take it apart to check the innards.

1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Dip stick.jpg

PSully

Well, I finally got the engine painted, and put into the C-81 yesterday. Today, I got it running, and was able to drive it around a little.

repower1.JPG

repower2.JPG

• Like 3

953 nut

:woohoo:     :WRS:     Need to add a muffler or at least a piece of pipe to get the heat away from the exhaust valve

PSully

Yes, I had a 6" nipple, and the muffler on it today. That pic was taken yesterday while I was still working on it. 

• Like 1