Indianajohn

Got the 520H back together!

Indianajohn

Thanks to Dave, I got the hydraulics line I needed for my 520H and finally got it put back together. I actually got the line a couple of weeks ago, but didn't get the chance to work on it until this week. First my mother-in-law passed away suddenly a couple weeks ago, then four days after her funeral, I had to go in the hospital for a heart cath and stent so I couldn't do anything for a week after that. Then a week ago my father-in-law went into the hospital for an infection that had turned septic. We didn't get him out until this Monday. So things have been rather crazy in my life lately. Since things are finally getting back to normal, I was finally able to spend some time in the shop this week. I did drain out what little oil was left in the transaxle and replaced it with fresh 10w30 Rotella.  It was nice to finally get to drive it around the yard yesterday. The tractor still has a couple of minor issues. Biggest issue is the gas gauge sending unit, and I have posted a thread about that in the electrical section. I also have a wonky light switch, so I need to find another one of those. I'm also missing the handle for the hydraulic lift lever, and the knob for the choke. No biggie. They are both still available from Toro, the handle isn't cheap tho. The engine runs good, tho it does burn a little oil when it's cold but goes away when it warms. Don't know what was put in it for oil tho, or if it's maybe diluted with gas. Haven't had the chance to do anything with the engine yet. Also I noticed that when I turn on the key, all the lights come on (as they should) except for the oil. Don't know if the bulb is burned out or even if they are replaceable. Also have to replace one of the tail light lenses, as well as both bulbs, one of the headlight bulbs, and a couple of the gauge bulbs. Also need to fix/adjust the switch for the parking brake light. Again, minor issues. Overall, I am pretty happy with this machine so far.

BTW, I have tried to put that 520H club thingy in my signature, but can't figure out how to do that on my iPad.

Pics below.

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG

• Like 5

Jerry77
23 minutes ago, Indianajohn said:

I also have a wonky light switch

I have sucessfuly got switches to work again by spraying them real good with P B Blaster - it is advertised on the can that it is good for electrical stuff - I have used it on car door switches and garden tractor switches -if the switch is not broken - it will probably come around for you with the blaster...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

daveoman1966

I'm the 'Dave"  I MAY have some of the lttle things you ask about.  Make me a 'shopping list' and I'll see what I can match for you.

my direct email is:

daveoman@windstream.net

roadapples

Tuff few weeks...  Hope things are getting back to normal for you..

Sarge

For electrical switches and contacts - get a can of De-Oxit D5 . Stuff isn't cheap but you need very little to do the job . It will clean up those contacts and prevent further corrosion as well as lubricate - I have yet to find anything better that will penetrate into switches and pots and actually clean them like it should . Audio and electronics techs rely on the stuff heavily and won't use anything else , but as I said - be prepared for some sticker shock . The D5 is a good all around product for what you'd normally do with a tractor , ect and will also work great on that old stereo everyone has laying around ....

Know all about the crazy life issues , seems to be going around lately - hope things get better for you .

Sarge

• Like 1

GlenPettit

IndianaJohn:

In the process of making the PTO Handle, the New Style firm-rubber one but with the Horse Head Logo on it, with a 1/2" core, (just $15), as shown below: 

IMG_0050.jpg

Find us under VENDERS . . . 

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 4

benji756

I found replacement light switchs at o'rellies for my 520

woodchuckfarmer

I got mine at AutoZone too 

AMC RULES

:clap:  Again...awesome :wh: work Glenn.  :bow-blue:

IMG_0050.jpg

:thanks: