Racinbob

Proud parents and grandparents

ohiofarmer

A beautiful girl. She looks a lot like Sally Field.

Mine got started on the ball field and they noticed how fast she was. They kept throwing the ball to try to get her out, but she was already past the base when the ball arrived. Four of those kids on that same team ran track, and the records they set at the county track meet in junior high will be there for years.

Katie ran 100 and 200 sprints and relays. As a sophomore, we were at districts and she ran as a placeholder to keep the race open for the better quarter miler who was under the weather. Then it was to regionals, one step away from the state track meet. She qualified, and on the final race, after only running the quarter twice before, she put it all out there and finished first. Got third at state and that race was only her sixth time running the 400M!

The following years those same four girls did much better and Katie got to stand on that podium seven more times and two as an individual. Her best quarter mile ever was run at Columbus at 56.83 as a senior, finishing 2nd. Many years that time would have got her the title, but she ran against some real talent that year.

Now she is at U of Mich. working on a higher degree and doing it all on her own.

• Like 4

Racinbob

That's funny. I met my wife when she was a teenager and all her life people have told her she looks like Sally Fields.

I think parents and grand parents get more excited than the kids when they do something great. It sounds like Katie has her head on straight. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

Daddy Don

Love to see this. Just wish it was all over the world.  

• Like 3

KC9KAS
1 hour ago, ohiofarmer said:

A beautiful girl. She looks a lot like Sally Field.

I agree!

• Like 3

Racinbob
40 minutes ago, Daddy Don said:

Love to see this. Just wish it was all over the world.  

Hopefully this thread gets rolling and we see a lot more feel good stories. There's more out there than we hear about but now's the chance for the Red Square world to let other members see it. :)

• Like 2

roadapples

I don`t have any kids, but you guys can surely be proud...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Shynon
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

may need to sell some of my herd in a few years

Richard remember I called  dibs on this one:ychain:.     

IMG_5961.JPG

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

953 and you other guys-----------

It is never too early to start researching scholarships and such things Your granddaughter being in STEM disciplines may put her in line for some scholarships. It is a little known fact that one of the better ones happens by taking the SAT and ACT as a sophomore. Some of the easier scholarships to find show up just by looking in the local papers. All you have to do is read through them all and see the kids getting the awards now and you will know what to look for when her time comes. I got a "college aid for Dummies ' book and it was worth at least ten grand.in how to navigate the system.  For example, even colleges who are not participants in athletic scholarships count participation as being a good citizen and hard worker toward your aid package. We were even contacted by an Ivy league school, but NYC scared our little country girl to death so we never went to see the coach.

Katie is managing to pay her debt down as she attends and also is saving quite a bit in a Roth IRA. She knew from the start what we would pay toward her school and that it was conditional on her graduating. It is not easy, but you can work your way through school so long as you work FOR the school you attend. As long as her 1997 Buick holds out, she is in good shape with finances...   I have helped a few people figure out how to get started, so you can PM me if interested.

• Like 4

Racinbob

That's some great information. Madison went to the camp at the University of Florida. this past summer. There's already talk about a scholarship to Stetson but they can't officially approach her about it as a freshman. She's hoping to go to the camp at Notre Dame this coming summer but that's still up in the air. Most of you know where I'd like to see her go. Her grades are there to make it to ND but she need to get a better understanding of the participation you referred to. That carries a lot of weight. It sure sounds like you are doing all the right things for Katie and I suspect graduating won't be an issue for her. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

Great story and pictures Bob.  Thanks for sharing.    

My participation in my own two Sons activities unfortunately was limited due to travel and work.

But now I have the time and means to attend all my Four Grandsons activities, and I try to not miss any.

The oldest, Reed, Will graduate High School this spring and has some college acceptance letters now  and is still waiting for some to be sent out in March. 

He will probably end up at Lehigh, Cornell, or R I T.   This will be a new phase in watching these boys become young men.  

Here are a few pics of my pride and joy.

IMG_2924.thumb.JPG.578a61b76fb2ff8ffd4ff72816b53309.JPG

58b0f6f205660_IMG_1194(640x480).jpg.ae24c5becc08a1d57d8f2d7738550480.jpgIMG_2592.thumb.JPG.5a8d056b96f1a578959459cfea6f5192.JPGIMG_1959.thumb.JPG.7df3a7e26da9aa5451833df9e89a3b8e.JPGIMG_3709.thumb.JPG.04dc241f243c0128987d04c660dc0627.JPGIMG_4172.thumb.JPG.b90634b563e9fa8c2768026e61680cad.JPGIMG_1374.thumb.JPG.0871cd3ef065f8f79408690f4d33ba6c.JPGIMG_1321.thumb.JPG.e6a59951fed52df9525d47e8c9afc286.JPGIMG_3200.thumb.JPG.777db1eb1d821ebc4879138258d37b36.JPGIMG_3147.thumb.JPG.4fede06df5c80b169c28c74309285cf1.JPGIMG_4552.thumb.JPG.5134b8787bff7cbd7ded64ee875dab31.JPGIMG_6627.thumb.JPG.8f3bbb50df01922fb7eb7e86ecd6bf64.JPGIMG_4568.thumb.JPG.54c8e6658606110123e23191ca8aebfe.JPG

• Like 6

slim67

Kids are a blessing and boy do they grow up fast. I'm happy for all of you gentleman and certainly see the pride you have in your grandchildren. As a side note, my supervisors daughter was good enough to get a full ride at a good university for softball. I hope that can be the case for you as well.

• Like 4