BobbyD218

308 Fuel Tank Swap

BobbyD218

Hello Gents,

My, what a beautiful day it is here in CT this fine afternoon!!!  Sunny, 70 degrees in February, ha...

Anyway, I'm considering replacing the small hood tank on my 308 with a rear tank from a parts machine.  I did a search and found nothing on the subject, so I thought I'd pick some brains here.  Has anyone done this?  Will I need an external electric fuel pump because I believe that Magnum 8 is gravity fed?   

Thanks for your help....

pfrederi

If it is gravity feed you will need a pump. The original engine should be M8S  spec #301511.  according to Kohler it came with a fuel pump. If it has a pump you may not need an electric one but many of us have had problems with under seat tanks and original engine mounted fuel pumps.  Why do you want to change?

• Like 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: You caught my attention because I thought all 300 series had the tank under the seat but I see I was wrong. The parts list doesn't show any parts under the seat that are different on a 308 so it sounds like is could be an easy change. :)

• Like 1

BobbyD218

Well, it's nothing pressing for the change out.  But I mounted some metal to the front frame that allows me to attach a shredder, and when I raise the hood, I can't get it fully opened without taking that bracket off.  I can fuel it, but it's a pita, if you know what I mean....  So, the M8 has a fuel pump.....Thanks...

bmsgaffer

Not only easier fueling, but I believe the rear tank is larger (holds 3+ gallons?), so you could go for weeks without refueling that M8! :shock:

• Like 1