clueless

8sp creeping

clueless

Last summer I acquired a '97 416-8, one owner 217hr with tiller, deck, and 10" brinly plow, all in great shape. Didn't want the tractor, Onan:(, and way to many wires:o, but it was all or nothing, plus it was a good deal. The other day I pulled it out of the shop and started it and let it run for awhile, charging the battery, and running some fresh gas in it. About 10 minutes later I noticed it had moved forward about a foot. With the high/low engaged and the speed in neutral it slowly and I mean slowly creeps forward, I can put a 1/2 in PVC pipe under the wheels and it won't move. When both the high/low, and the speed shifter are in neutral it doesn't move. Is this going to be a problem down the road?

• Like 1

857 horse

Hey,,,,,,just a  guess.....When in gear.....see if you can see if both or one axle is turning,,,,a key-way in the hub might be the culprit...if you find tht is it,,,,

Don't knock the hub off,,,,it might break,,,,,,,in stead,,,use a hub puller,,,,check back in a while.....off today......and other Horsemen are going to chime in,...

Good crowd here. lots of help....

Howard 857 Horse in Va

oldredrider

Gonna guess there is nothing wrong with the tranny. Probably the back and forth motion if the pistons in the Onan moving the tractor from vibration.

• Like 6

rmaynard

The first thing I would do is a good transmission flush. Drain it, fill it with diesel or kerosene, run it a few times around the yard, drain it again, and refill with new transmission oil. Remember to lift the front end to get all the oil/fluid over the hump. It it still does it, set the parking brake when you are not on it and have the engine running.

• Like 4

bmsgaffer
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

The first thing I would do is a good transmission flush. Drain it, fill it with diesel or kerosene, run it a few times around the yard, drain it again, and refill with new transmission oil. Remember to lift the front end to get all the oil/fluid over the hump. It it still does it, set the parking brake when you are not on it and have the engine running.

:text-yeahthat:

Sounds like you may have a bit of viscous coupling going on in there, maybe too heavy fluid? 

This maybe stupid, but was it on a very slight downhill slope? Vibrations will move it then. 

And yes, ALWAYS set the parking brake on a running tractor. Be sure it is adjusted correctly to stop the tractor too. 

• Like 4

rmaynard
7 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

Sounds like you may have a bit of viscous coupling going on in there, maybe too heavy fluid?

I like that Brandon. Only from the mind of an engineer. "Viscous coupling"

• Like 4

stevasaurus

There is nothing wrong with the transmission.  If the trans is in neutral, the tractor is not moving because of the trans...whether it is in either hi or low...and it is either in hi or low. (you are always in one or the other).  There is no between hi and low, if you put the lever so that you are not engaged in either hi or low, you are close to damaging that part of the trans...it is not made for that.  With that said, if the rest of your transmission is in neutral, neither of the 2 fork gears are engaged with either the reverse idler or the cluster gear.

Want to test what I say...you should be able to push your tractor either forward or backward with it in neutral and either in hi or low range.  If you can move your tractor back and forth while it is running in neutral...it is not the transmission.  It is probably just the engine running and it's "good vibrations".  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 9

pfrederi

I thought abut viscous coupling this morning but he is in Florida...even 140wt is not that thick down there...(or even here today 73 in February  crazy)

• Like 3

bmsgaffer
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

I thought abut viscous coupling this morning but he is in Florida...even 140wt is not that thick down there...(or even here today 73 in February  crazy)

Not only that, but it would be really hard to fluid couple a transmission like this with splash lube and gears that turn in opposite directions... It was just an "engineer moment" :shock: :D

• Like 1

squonk
7 hours ago, clueless said:

Last summer I acquired  way to many wires:o

:ROTF: How many are too many Chris? :text-lol:

• Like 1

clueless
1 hour ago, squonk said:

:ROTF: How many are too many Chris? :text-lol:

Six, Mike it's not nice to make fun of people with disabilities. I have ECTSOOM syndrome: Electrical Confuses The Sh** Out Of Me.

• Like 3

squonk

I have WCTSOOM Syndrome. :)

• Like 3