Gunman64

Manual Transmissions

Gunman64

I have heard how good the 8 speed trans is in Wheel Horse tractors, what about some of the other manual trans like the 6 and 3 speeds? How good are they?

JAinVA

The 6 speeds are the same as the 8speeds for the subject you enquire about.There are differences in internal parts but they basically share the same construction.The later 3speed is of the same rugged type as the later transaxles.The biggest issue is abuse and maintenance.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

Gunman64

Thanks for the.reply.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

WH trans descriptions need some clarification. The 8 speed designation is actually a 3 speed with reverse pared with a 2 speed rear giving 6 forward speeds and 2 rear speeds, not what someone might think when they say 8 speed. 

Another note is some are 1" axles and 1 1/8". 

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 3

Gunman64

Which tractors have the bigger axle? I read once that the 12HP did but don't know if that is true.

bmsgaffer

If you do some searching and reading on here you will find out lots of good information about these.

What will this be used for? All of the WH transmission are good as long as they don't get abused, but there are some that are stronger than others for lots of reasons. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Gunman64

I have always wanted one of these tractors, I picked up a 1988 Toro Wheel Horse 12HP 8 speed. Had 850 hours on it, I dont plan to move snow. I have a Ford 800 and a 8N for that. Just wanted it for yard work some. I know I don't need the heaviest trans, but I was wondering what model does.

953 nut

So, that would be a 312-8; good reliable model which will last forever if properly maintained. Here is a copy of the manual for your transmission.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

The 1988 model 312-8 would be model 21-12K805.

The online info available for the Wheel Horse tractors make it difficult to determine what transmission was used and where. The original parts lists if available remove the mystery.

They did produce a transmission with six forward speeds and 1" axles using 4 pinion gears in the differential.

Some models with 6 forward speeds used 1-1/8" axles and have a stronger 8-pinion differential but a few got four pinions.

I believe you will have this transmission

Garry

• Like 1

maxiblue

Well this was a good information for what I read. Wish I had information on my transmission in my tractor, I guess there is to few of them around so that's how it goes. ( D-250 10 speed)

• Like 1

gwest_ca
34 minutes ago, maxiblue said:

Well this was a good information for what I read. Wish I had information on my transmission in my tractor, I guess there is to few of them around so that's how it goes. ( D-250 10 speed)

Garry

• Like 2

clueless
2 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

The 1988 model 312-8 would be model 21-12K805.

The online info available for the Wheel Horse tractors make it difficult to determine what transmission was used and where. The original parts lists if available remove the mystery.

They did produce a transmission with six forward speeds and 1" axles using 4 pinion gears in the differential.

Some models with 6 forward speeds used 1-1/8" axles and have a stronger 8-pinion differential but a few got four pinions.

I believe you will have this transmission

Garry

My 1988 312 came with the 1" axle 4 pinion trans.

• Like 1

Rob R
9 hours ago, JAinVA said:

The 6 speeds are the same as the 8speeds for the subject you enquire about.There are differences in internal parts but they basically share the same construction.The later 3speed is of the same rugged type as the later transaxles.The biggest issue is abuse and maintenance.JAinVA

JA I have a purchased C-81 with a "replacement" three (3) speed by the PO what I was surprised to learn is that it has a 1/2" X 78" belt on it..... so big question here did the 3 speeds normally use a 1/2" belt or did the PO just throw this on?  I know on some machines you can use either a 5/8ths or 1/2" (different length belts of course) and they will adjust to the pulley groove.....  I would like to change to a 5/8ths belt but probably not if I have to change Pulleys. Did some Wheel Horse three (3) speeds come with 1/2" pulleys?????  Thanks

• Like 1

pfrederi

Lawn Ranger 3 spds used 1/2 Inch belts as did older Horses 753 856 etc. that had the small 3 groove pulley on the motor  If it still has teh big (4"+/) drive pulley on the motor I would think you could go back to a 5/8" belt (check the tranny input pulley...you never know what may have been changed out

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Rob R
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Lawn Ranger 3 spds used 1/2 Inch belts as did older Horses 753 856 etc. that had the small 3 groove pulley on the motor  If it still has teh big (4"+/) drive pulley on the motor I would think you could go back to a 5/8" belt (check the tranny input pulley...you never know what may have been changed out

Thanks pfrederi, the front Motor Pulley looks like 4" and would take either belt the back transmission pulley also appears to be 4" but looks like it was made for a 1/2" belt.... might you know what the tranny output shaft is and what would be the ideal pulley width for the three speed. Thanks

• Like 1

pfrederi

You must have one fast horse. That is a 1:1 drive.  The older 3 spds had 2.5 inch engine and 4" input.  I think the input for a tranny should be about 6.5 inches with a 4" motor pulley.

Curious do you have problems shifting? Gear grinding etc. as the belt guard was originally designed of the bigger pulley and may not facilitate complete disengagement  with smaller pulley

• Like 1

Rob R
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

You must have one fast horse. That is a 1:1 drive.  The older 3 spds had 2.5 inch engine and 4" input.  I think the input for a tranny should be about 6.5 inches with a 4" motor pulley.

Curious do you have problems shifting? Gear grinding etc. as the belt guard was originally designed of the bigger pulley and may not facilitate complete disengagement  with smaller pulley

I have to get in there soon and measure it better I did a rough estimate..... it does run higher speed then my stock c-81 no problems shifting or running in all gears does slip a little when in third and luging up a hill or pulling a loaded wagon (reason I was asking about going to a 5/8ths belt.... thanks

• Like 1

Gunman64

Sorry, I was wrong. I think now it was a 1998. Toro model, was those still as good as the original Wheel Horse? 

20170224_154804.jpg

DennisThornton
23 hours ago, Gunman64 said:

I have always wanted one of these tractors, I picked up a 1988 Toro Wheel Horse 12HP 8 speed. Had 850 hours on it, I dont plan to move snow. I have a Ford 800 and a 8N for that. Just wanted it for yard work some. I know I don't need the heaviest trans, but I was wondering what model does.

Don't underestimate a little WH's ability to deal with snow! My first snow mover to go to is a C-85 and I shoot right by my NH TC-35 with its 74" blower. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca
12 hours ago, Gunman64 said:

Sorry, I was wrong. I think now it was a 1998. Toro model, was those still as good as the original Wheel Horse? 

20170224_154804.jpg

Same tough design

Garry

• Like 1

Gunman64

Thank you, I'm hooked on Wheel Horse!