kriggy

Need information 42" mower deck, Pulleys

kriggy

Is there a special wrench needed to remove pulleys from spindle shafts? In the 35 years I have owned this mower I have never had to replace a housing. But this year the housing has rotted away from the bolts. I cant seem to be able to get the pulley off of the threaded shaft. Help Needed?

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:           You will need to use an impact wrench (air or electric) to remove the nut and a good "bearing splitter" to remove the pulley (without it you stand a good chance of ruining the pulley. If you don't have one you can rent one.

Related image

• Like 1

daveoman1966

If your TOP PULLEY (109967) does NOT have a WOODRUFF key  to hold it on  the shaft....remove the grease zerk on, top and then back off the nut 3 or 4 turns.  Then using a brass drift pin, WHACK on the spindle shaft to drive it DOWN thru the housing.  

The other 42" pulley (106072)  that DOES have a WOODRUFF keyway to secure the pulley to the shaft.  For this type. remove the grease zerk and the top nut completely.  Usually the pulley will wiggle loose but, if it doesn't,  use an automotive POWER STEERING PUMP PULLEY removal tool to grip the lip at the top edge of the pulley.  you can rent this tool...FOR FREE....at Zutozone.  

I ahve both types of replacement pulley and complete housing....  if needed.

email me to:

daveoman@windstream.net

109967a (4).JPG

106072a (1).JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

oldlineman

:text-yeahthat: Thats how I do them, trick is to leave the nut on but loose and use a brass hammer or drift like dave said. Helps if you put a can like a coffee can open side up under the spindle, helps stiffen and back up the deck. You can also use some PB blaster.

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@953 nut  Richard Is that an HF bearing splitter ?

953 nut
44 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@953 nut  Richard Is that an HF bearing splitter ?

Just an image I pulled up on Google to show him what it looks like and how it works;  Saved me a trip to the barn.

Sarge

If you buy a bearing separator - be sure to get an extra pair of bolts , they break pretty often . Just broke another set yesterday working on the '52 Atlas Clausing drill press , and those were special ordered GR10 structural bolts ...

Sarge