Red144runner

Chainsaws/ tree work

Red144runner

Before I began my horse hobby I rebuilt chainsaws. Poulans, homelites, mccolluch, Dolmar, jonsereds, pioneer, husqvarna and Stihl. I started with the older USA saws, cause they were cheap to buy and easy to work on. At my peak I had probably 50 saws, I'm at half that now. I've sold 300 or so over 10 years. I also burn wood. Luckily I work grounds at a private highschool on 150 acres of wooded area. So here's what I did today. First I dropped a leaning oak, 40' got hung up and pulled it with our bob cat tool cat. Next was an ash 30', easy drop nice wood ready to burn. Used my 3450 poulan (60cc 16"x3/8") and my super pro 380 same saw as above just yellow that saw has a 20" bar. These saws are pro saws and are a joy to run. 

Mill be posting more pics of tree work and saw projects

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG

• Like 8

Anglo Traction

Beaird-Poulan I can relate to. I rescued a small one (1971 XXV). I love the build quality the moment I found it in an old outbuilding here in the UK.

I ran This Thread on it's refurb and optional modification to use 3/8" Pitch Saw chain on the sister Forum. Great little Saw and the power/efficiency is superb :thumbs:      

Edited by Anglo Traction

WHX??

Used to do saws myself for awhile, mostly 80's vintage Homelites. Some what heavy by today's standards but you get one running nice & a sharp chain man those things cut. Got a few more to do if I ever get horse projects done!:blink:

• Like 1

Red144runner

The poulan xxv saws are very good. Even  better are the super xxv saws. 4 more ccs and an auto oil pump

7 hours ago, WHX9 said:

Used to do saws myself for awhile, mostly 80's vintage Homelites. Some what heavy by today's standards but you get one running nice & a sharp chain man those things cut. Got a few more to do if I ever get horse projects done!:blink:

Yeah, I like those too. I still have one super xl left. I had a mint 750 for awhile. Those were the last of the made in USA muscle saws, 113cc.

obone

Nice job. I tried something like that before, but cutting it up on the ground was hard. Kept getting the blade stuck. Always wonder what kind of tricks people used and how they cut through pieces larger then there blade.

Red144runner
3 hours ago, obone said:

Nice job. I tried something like that before, but cutting it up on the ground was hard. Kept getting the blade stuck. Always wonder what kind of tricks people used and how they cut through pieces larger then there blade.

They have a few different tools, a plastic felling wedge is a tool I don't cut without. Look like a splitting wedge, as you cut one you get 1/3rd through drop the wedge in your cut, as the tree compresses the wedge holds the gap preventing the bar from being pinched.

A peavey or canthook is used to roll the log so you can cut without the chain hitting dirt. I'll post some pics at some point 

Here's yesterday's job. Had a huge beech that broke off 10' up. Cut all that last year, yesterday I wanted to finish the job. I had a 25" bar on my Stihl 460 magnum, first run since a rebuild and no oil pressure. Swapped bar on to my 044 and an hour later I had it down. That tree was 3' at the butt so I had to make a three wedge cuts then a back cut, that was tricky due to the boulder resting on the back of the tree. 

A few tugs with the choker cable and chains hooked up to our tractor and it's down.

I cut some of the smaller limbs off with my 3450 Poulan, that saw runs awesome. We might make some table tops from one of the rounds, the grain is so nice

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

• Like 2

can whlvr

I have a hydraulic claw for my loader tractor,lift the log up clamped in the claw and cut away,at easy height,never binds,no hitting dirt,its the way if your so lucky,i also use my skid steer with forks,no clamp but just take cuts off each side,i try to never cut on ground,anymore,we heat with wood at my job so I do a lot of firewood ,I have a professional chain sharpener too but don't need too much as the chain never hits dirt this way

• Like 2

Red144runner

We had a problem tree over one of our trails. 45' maple 3' at the base, one of four trees growing in a group. This one was leaning hard and rotting at the butt. The lean was so severe I didn't need to notch or even under cut. Put the saw down, cut in 6" and it started to go. A lot of good cordwood from it, I used the 044 to drop it and make 4 cuts in the big part of the trunk, then hit a hidden rock. Finished the big stuff with the 3450 and cut up the limbs and branches. Good time, no injuries or equipment damage. 

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

• Like 1