Ga. Grizz

Newbie question about 520H

Ga. Grizz

I got my Dad's 520H after he passed away and am in the process of moving from Georgia to Connecticut to his home. The tractor  has a power percentage gage on the dash. I got it running but it never shows 100% power. It drives around fine but when the deck is engaged it wants to bog down. Any help be great, does this sound like a air or vacuum leak or do I just need to clean  the carb. It has been 2 years since it was used. I was going up to check on everything every 2 to 3 months and would start it but it is still old gas with stabilizer in it. Thanks for any help, really want to keep it and get it running good before spring.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

The gauge will only show 100% when mowing wet heavy grass or blowing the same type snow, 25% at idle 50-75% under normal loads, Bogging down could be stale gas and dirty carb or binding deck spindle/drive start with removing/loosening  the PTO belt check for stubborn/stiff deck spindles mule drive idler pulleys frozen ect, if not then move onto the fuel system, drain tank/lines add fresh non-ethanol 93 octane and some seafoam or similar also check air cleaner for restrictions "mouse nest" ect...and welcome aboard to :rs:,Jeff.

• Like 6

bmsgaffer

Also check your safety switches. If when you say "bog down" it cuts out every time you engage the deck, then you could have a bad switch at the PTO lever.  It sounds similar to bogging when it cuts it while you are engaging a load. 

Also, Welcome! This is a great place to hang out and get LOTS of good information. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:       :handgestures-thumbsup:  

:WRS:

TIGman

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

Good to have you on board. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Wishin4a416

Welcome to the Forum!!

KC9KAS

@Ga. Grizz :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

BaySide1

where does one find non ethanol gas?

Massachusetts

• Like 1

Cee245

We have a Country Fair here in NW PA that sells 91 octane for about 70 cents more per gallon, but you can use an additive that eliminates the ethanol from your local dealer or Auto parts store.  

Edited by cee245

Red144runner
1 hour ago, BaySide1 said:

where does one find non ethanol gas?

Massachusetts

If you have a small airfield nearby, they only use ethanol free fuel. 

• Like 1

BaySide1
1 hour ago, Red144runner said:

If you have a small airfield nearby, they only use ethanol free fuel. 

where do you buy you gas in Worcester?

roadapples

Glad you`re keeping it in the family, and   :WRS:

Ga. Grizz

Thanks for the info and welcome. I can get ethanol free gas in GA. But have not found any in CT.  I was going to bring a can up this trip but it was one of the things I forgot. I have got a stabilizer added. When it bogged down on me I had been cutting some grass fine but then got into some taller stuff. I have since replaced the fuel and run seafoam thru it. It may be fine now, can't cut the snow to check. The power % gage just threw me off. Thanks again for the help and welcome and I have already picked up a lot of info surfing the site.

• Like 2

lynnmor
12 hours ago, cee245 said:

you can use an additive that eliminates the ethanol from your local dealer or Auto parts store.  

Not gonna happen.  If you buy 10 gallons, you have 9 gallons of gas and 1 gallon of ethanol.  You can add nothing to the mix that will make the ethanol magically disappear.  Snake Oil comes to mind.

wrightorchid

Are there any marinas or gas stations near the water?  They often have non-ethanol.

Sarge

Use this list -

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Go to your state and check the list . Also , if you have a smart phone - the Gas Buddy app works well finding the stuff too . Most times you will pay a penalty for not burning corn - doesn't make sense but what does anymore in this world ? I never run ethanol laced fuels in small engines - it attracts moisture too easily and these engines are not designed for it - it can also eat up fuel lines and carbs/pumps as well . The stuff is the devil , I swear ...won't even use it in my '14 Dodge pickup's Hemi , or the '77 Land Cruiser's straight six , which will run even on 75 octane water.

Sarge

• Like 1

Toro Bill

First off, sorry to hear about your dad but we're glad to see you here. :text-welcomeconfetti:

Definitely try to find non ethanol or at least treat ethanol gas with startron enzyme fuel treatment, this will help but doesn't completely stop the effects of ethanol. 

Sarge is 100% correct! Todays engines and fuel systems are designed to run on this stuff, however when the 520's were built, the fuel systen was designed for good ol Dino fuel. The ethanol will literally eat the rubber in the fuel system and eventually turn it rock hard. Not to mention, if the fuel filter doesn't catch the particles, the carb will, and the 520 is sensitive to dirty carbs (usually results in engine surging). 

Another down side is that it attracts water (this why marinas and airports don't use it), when small ammounts of water (high humidity, condensation, extended storage times) are mixed with the gas and come in contact with metal (carburetor), corrosion will insue, small ammounts of corrosion can be cleaned, large ammounts result in parts replacement. Ever noticed on todays small engines, its cheaper to replace the whole carb than rebuild it???  If enough water is pulled in, the ethanol gas will phase separate. Usually when this happens the engine injests water because water is heavier and it sinks to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pickup is. Generally major damage isn't done but the entire fuel system needs to be completely flushed and cleaned. 

Great stuff ehhh!!!!

• Like 1

Forest Road

Welcome to RS! Personally I wouldn't spend to much time focusing on the ethanol gas. Get it cleaned out and running right. If you're using it on a regular basis, and burning through fuel,  stick w higher octane and you'll be fine. Anytime ethanol free is available it's certainly preferred. A carburetor is either functioning properly or not. 

I frequent northenr NY where many gas stations are selling ethanol free gas in 91 octane. We can thank snowmobiling lobbyists for that one. It can be found at some marinas too. 

I always replace fuel lines and as a filter on older tractors. Fuel tank may also need a good cleaning.