obone

Replacing Hardware

rustykan

I bought all my stainless steel hardware on Ebay and Amazon, usually cheaper than anywhere else you might be able to find it. They have everything you need and you don't have to run around trying to find those hard to get items!

• Like 1

WHX??

Interesting thread here since I am in the process of a project that I am doing all in SS Allen head hardware. I realize that SS in not the best fastener to use but a habit from my bike building days! More than a few choice words once I understood about the galling thing.Thanks for the tips and info on where to buy guys. Kinda tired of paying Ace prices but the closest and quickest. Next project gets chome hardware! 

• Like 2

Racinbob

Wait until you see the price of chrome Jim. :o

• Like 1

WHX??

Yah I hear ya Bob, an EPA thing I would venture to guess! That's why I learned  to polish stainless.... can shine just like chrome

• Like 1

Racinbob

I never thought of polishing the hardware. I've had a couple of stainless revolvers that needed sprucing up so I polished them. They came out great. I liked it much better than nickle plated. I used polishing compound to get the scratches out and finished up with Mothers mag wheel polish. :)

• Like 3

obone

Picked up about 36 bucks worth today. Still need more, but this will start.

IMG_20170226_181224.jpg

obone

Forgot to say I got this stuff from Menards. It's zinc coated. I have been buying more too.

JPWH
On 2/22/2017 at 10:16 AM, obone said:

I have looked at some of those places. It's just so hard to decide. In the parts manual mostly it says HHCS. It doesn't give a length or thread type. I've seen on here people using 5/16-18 and 3/8-16, but how long do they need to be? Thanks for the replies.

I agree with Retired Wrencher I reuse all that I can. I like to see a couple threads past the nut as a minimum. So thickness of metal + thickness of nut as a minimum. This seems to work well for me anyway. 

• Like 1