budman2

PTO SQUEAL

budman2

Hey budman2 here, man I have a problem with my pto squealing when I engage it everytime! Its a 1991 310-8 model, I have tried everything I know to do, cleaning the clutch plate in lacqure thinner as well as the metal pto cone itself! Also replaced belt with new one! Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. sorry about the multiple entery computer screwed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by budman2
mistake
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Did you try increasing the pressure on the disc?  Could be the thrust bearing.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

bmsgaffer

Is there any clutch material left? Mine would start doing that after most of the clutch material wore away. You can get a new clutch disc to fit in there. 

budman2

there is plenty of clutch disc left, I degreased it and cleaned it up with light emery paper on flat surface and laquer thinner, going to try and tighten the clutch up tomorrow, and see if that works! thanks budman2

• Like 1

cleat

At least one of my 520's do that as well.

Works fine, just a squeal at initial engagement.

Cleat

lynnmor

What attachment are you engaging?  If there is a problem with an attachment, that doesn't operate freely, it could be the source of the problem.  Of course do the pressure adjustment first.  The little brake pad needs to be adjusted for some clearance as well.

budman2

Well I did adjust the pto stiffness, and it did not make a difference in the squeal! to the fellow wanting to know what the attachment I am driving, it is only the 42" sd deck, still checking things out until I find the cause of the squealing, thanks for all of the input! budman2

R. L. Addison

Maybe same principle as squealing brakes on a car or truck? I've had it also at times and after finding no problem, I didn't pay any attention to it.

gwest_ca

Commonly known as a pinch squeal. If it is happening only when the pressure is first applied to the clutch that is normal. If the squeal returns when the belt is under load the clutch is slipping and must be tightened.

One cause can be the retaining ring on the stub shaft in the outer pto bearing. Make sure the retaining ring is installed in the correct direction to stay in the groove or the applied hoop pressure just pushes the shaft into the bearing. The bearing has to go with the stub shaft.

Garry

• Like 2

budman2

That is another thing I will check today! Thanks for the ideas folks! budman2