Shynon

Engine test run stand

Aldon

I did a similar test rig last summer and also had plans to improve it for longevity. I never got around to it and may never do so.

Handy though when you need it.

• Like 7

Ed Kennell

Improvements ???    :dunno:  

Are we talking a Cradle mounted dynamometer and magnetic pick up to measure torque and RPM.   :happy-partydance:

• Like 9

Shynon
10 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Improvements ???    :dunno:  

Ed I am planning on adding something to put load on the motor. I want to be able to after the 1st hour of run time, to be able to put the motor under load for another 4hrs for break in.

• Like 4

857 horse

I was kinnda hoping for a plow attachment after the development stages ,,,,,,,,lol

This is a good idea,,,,,,,,,,,of course,,,there is always the storage space issue,,,,, I like it !!!!

Howard857Horse in VA

• Like 2

squonk

Run a belt to the wheels, ad a stand up sulky to the back  and race it like Ben Hur! :banana-dance:

• Like 9

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Imagine a K-91 would look something like this...

• Like 4

953 nut
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

Run a belt to the wheels, ad a stand up sulky to the back  and race it like Ben Hur! :banana-dance:

Sounds like that would be Ben HURT!        :ychain:

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

Add a tub and put it to work. Gas Powered Wheel Barrow

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4

tunahead72

Shynon, when you build one of those stands for me, my back would appreciate you raising the engine up to about waist level or so.  Thanks! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

82Caddy

• Like 1

ztnoo

Interesting.

That's an old Craftsman table frame that use to be paired up with things like table saws, drill presses, stationary sanders. etc.

Looks to either be NOS or restored.

• Like 1

953 nut

On a hot day you could load test an engine on one of these,    KOOL!

1-1.thumb.jpg.2ee8c40ad203bee54286e3c69c976608.jpg

• Like 3

Dan Hankins

Speaking of dynos I have a prototype brand kart dynos I bolt mine to. Even though it's designed for kart engine it works well and I can put a load on it if I want.

• Like 1

W9JAB

Put a mower deck on it and then you'd have something!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That pretty innovative there Tom.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Very good idea.

• Like 2

joel_400

Here are some pics of my test stand...I have found it to be accurate within 5-10 percent of actual Kohler dyno info. The biggest reason I wanted to build it was to measure increases or decreases in power/torque and for fine tuning. So far I have had good luck with what I have done. And it was relatively cheap to build. I think my grand total was less than $250 for the whole deal.

joel

0830141118a.jpg

0830141118b.jpg

• Like 6

WHX??

Franken dyno Joel?!:ychain: ...hey if it works who am I to criticize! Good Idea Tom ....beats lagging it down to the bench top and stealing the gas tank off an ice auger!:lol: I was thinking more of a six inch leather belt out the back connected to a trolley connected to a 12" plow.... thers a way to break them in says Mike...worked on  a nice little 7 hp I got!!!

• Like 1

joel_400

I have killed a k301 running e85 without even working it. You must figure the rotor I used is roughly 30 to 35 percent of a brake system used to stop a 3000 or so pound car. Then added another caliper to that rotor for twice the clamping, also stabilizes the arm to measure the torque output by placing force on two sides verses one. I would guess I could stop at least twice what I have already. 

Joel

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Very kool Joel.   Can you post details of the torque measuring system.    What is the purpose of the starter/gen?    Are you measuring RPM , if so, how?

joel_400

I use the starter/generator for its intended purpose. It beats pull starting the engines! As far as the torque measuring system, it's very simple. The engine spins the shaft, the brake actually floats on the shaft and as you apply brake force the brake wants to rotate downward. That's where the fish scale on the end of the arm comes into play. It measures the torque output in lb/ft. However I did slow it down to half speed, therfore I had to make my measuring arm 2ft instead of one. I think this made it safer and more efficient my self though, as it really keeps the heat down when applying the brake.

joel

• Like 2

WHX??

The more I study those pics Joel the kooler it becomes... thanks for sharing! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Food for homemade thought... could you connect a genny to a motor, put a load on it & measure the wattage and convert to HP/Ft lbs??

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:20 PM, Shynon said:

I built a kohler for a customer

BTW Tom says he has guys walking off the street looking for parts 'cause they think he runs a mower shop! Really funny thing he said he most often has what they need! Think you missed your life's calling Tom! :ychain:

• Like 1

joel_400

By measuring the torque in lb/ft and using a simple formula with the rpm and torque you can convert to hp. BTW I use my digital timing light to set timing and get rpm readings.

joel

Ed Kennell

So your equation for   HP=  T(ft lb) X N(rpm of dyno)  / 5252   correct ?

T = load in lbs X arm length in ft

Edited by Ed Kennell