TravelinJavelin

wheel horse no name 8hp 4spd

TravelinJavelin

has a 8 hp kohler straight 4 spd what you is what you get no accessories with it he's asking $400 i'm thinking $300 in my mind whats your opinion?

005.JPG

006.JPG

• Like 5

can whlvr

looks clean,the numbers are too high for me,but as we know supply,demand,how bad a guy wants it all change what something is worth,i don't want to sell any of my horses for small money,but I don't want to pay either when buying,so there has to be a happy medium,but for me a 4 speed 8 horse no attachments isn't worth that much,its a wagon hauler at best

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

yeah that's my thinking too looks pretty anyways

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I wouldn't pay $400 for it either , but I understand the $400 asking price.

He probably has over $300 invested in original tractor purchase price, paint, decals, seat, oil, filter, cleaners, abrasives, etc.  Plus 40-50 hours of labor.

• Like 5

Sparky

The white overspray on the rear rim tells me it's probably not a quality paint job, just a quick rattle can spray bomb job done without much prep. I would be way less than $400. Maybe cut that in half even. Is one of the front tires off the rim/bead?

Mike......

• Like 7

roadapples
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

The white overspray on the rear rim tells me it's probably not a quality paint job, just a quick rattle can spray bomb job done without much prep. I would be way less than $400. Maybe cut that in half even. Is one of the front tires off the rim/bead?

Mike......

:text-yeahthat:thinking the same thing....

857 horse

An 8 H.P. with a PTO.....now that is kinda cool....I would buy it just to copy that  set up on a couple of my 857's so I could run the more modern mower decks......

and,,,,,,,are those 10 inch rear wheels.????   Looks like this horse  has short legs,,,,if all this is stock,,,,,i cant say that I have ever seen this model before..

and yeah never know,,,,,the rattle job might buff out after it hardens a little more......

Howard857 Horse in Va.......

• Like 3

Texas Todd

I was thinking its what one of my old bosses called a "liquid overhaul" on forklifts: spray it off, paint evrything you see and double your money. Dude made a fortune buying and selling used forklifts.....

If you could find a 36" deck you would have a mower.

I'm thinking 2-250 if it runs, no smoke. 

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

TravelinJavelin I have one of those. Good little tractor I plow with it. But what you may not like is the tires are small. Not standard size. I put some 6/12 on mine and larger on the front made it sit better and feel better. This was definitely a quick pant job look at the muffler on top and bottom of steering wheel  look like he painted over the no slip covering on running boards. There are better ones out there in my book. Or you low ball him and fix all the bad things on it.

• Like 2

TravelinJavelin

i'm probably going to steer away from it anyway its just was a 73' and my first horse was a 73 12hp 8spd and I miss that tractor to death when I see something I like opinions of the experienced thank you for the comentary

• Like 1

rmaynard

Just my 2 cents.

The 8 HP 4-speed is just the no-name version of the first B-80's. Came out in '73 during the transition period prior to AMC taking over ownership in '74. The 8 hp is a cool little gas sipper with enough power to do many tasks.

Having said that, I agree that the price is too high. I purchased two 1974/75 B-80's four years ago for a total of $300.00.

Mike'sHorseBarn

A 1973 Model 8 is one of those little not so popular models that I've always wanted to add to my collection. Those little 8hp kohler engines are great! Just looking at that though I wouldn't spend $400 on it maybe $250 max. Just my :twocents-02cents:

Mike

• Like 2

TDF5G
11 hours ago, Sparky said:

Mike......

I was thinking the same thing.  Looks a a rattle can quicky resto.  There is overspray on the muffler and looks like all the PTO hardware was painted over with no attention to detail.  With no attachments, $400 is way too much IMO.  

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

Tankman

Offer $200 and walk. Does appear one front donut off its rim (?). :mellow:

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

no that's all right........ only way i'd get it would be for my son but i'm going to wait for now I guess I have a member i'm making a deal with on C-160 so maybe later on but that will turn to be a 12054/953 next one LOL

• Like 1

Racinbob

If my memory serves me right the 73 8 4-speed was identical to the previous years Commando 800 with the 10" rears and 6" fronts. They also had a 8 8-speed that year that had 12" rears and 8" fronts. Nice little tractor but I agree with the rest about being priced a bit high. If it had a decent deck on it then I'd think differently. :)

bean

the '73 8hp is quite a bit shorter than the '74+ b80. the one real disadvantage of the '73, it doesn't have a separate brake pedal. it can dangerous if you are stopped on a hill, towing a load

• Like 1