Ashton1118

Koherer k161

Ashton1118

I need to rebuild a Kohler k161. I believe the bore is 2.870 which would be the smaller older engine. Is it possible to get a rebuild kit or do I need to bore it out to the newer bore (2.9370) and get a kit such as this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/7hp-Kohler-K161-engine-rebuild-7hp-Kohler-Hard-to-find-parts-/380462503744

Terry M

Ashton,   read the eBay ad above carefully because  there is a lot of information in that ad to help you out.     You will need to do some measuring to obtain the correct rebuild parts.    Also, "search" info on this site as there is tons of helpful info right at your fingertips  :)

• Like 4

stevasaurus

@prondzy or @Shynon can answer this question for you.  :)

• Like 3

953 nut

Read this thread and you will learn the importance of having your engine components measured prior to buying any parts.

Lots of kool tips too!

• Like 4

prondzy

Yes Ashton, you will need to properly measure the bore to figure out the correct size piston you have . IF and I mean IF you have measured and have the smaller bore k161 compare to the kohler manual.  You will need to have the block machined and go to the std.  Bore 7hp (the bigger bore 7hp) piston in the link you provided.  But do your research and get the motor to a good machine shop and the money will be well spent. Thanks @stevasaurus for the tag and Ashton if you have any questiins PM me.

• Like 3