briankd

K301 noise

briankd

used my tractor to plow this weekend and under load was fine but no load driving around yard noticed a knocking noise. revving it up don't really notice but read the koler manual says so many hrs to take head off and clean carbon out . this thing is burning a little oil so was wondering if it carbon up under head?

wasn't going to do anything to it till I get my yard ariated and rolled. will this be ok till I get time to do a rebuild??  thanks Brian

can whlvr

could be any number of things,i doubt its carbon but its very important to do this and set valve lash at this time,more than likely its a rod knock,keep the oil up,that is the main reason of broken rod,but after many years of service parts wear,it could be rings too,sounds like a rebuild is due soon

briankd
5 minutes ago, can whlvr said:

more than likely its a rod knock

that's what my k181 sounded like it went thru 3 weeks of mowing before it let loose. this K301 runs good tho starts right up maybe have an oil rig bad this has sat in barn 10 yrs before I got it. i even checked timing with a timing light. guess will see what happens

WH nut
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:46 PM, briankd said:

that's what my k181 sounded like it went thru 3 weeks of mowing before it let loose. this K301 runs good tho starts right up maybe have an oil rig bad this has sat in barn 10 yrs before I got it. i even checked timing with a timing light. guess will see what happens

Only takes a few minutes to pull the motor and pan to check the rod Cheaper if you catch it now.

• Like 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, WH nut said:

Cheaper if you catch it now.

:text-yeahthat:

briankd
5 hours ago, WH nut said:

Only takes a few minutes to pull the motor and pan to check the rod Cheaper if you catch it now.

yep it would be cheaper but I need to use it one time for an hour then im done with it then will be rebuilding it. will be buying a rod and piston anyway. I always put in new rod even with new rings. talked to my buddy owns a mower shop he has pile of parts for this k301 he would give me a good deal on a crank if I needed one. may need  turned                        Thanks  Brian

WH nut

Kind of hard to fix a hole in the block.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I have an Electro 12 that sounds just lovely at start up, but after it warms up for 5 minutes or so, there is a knock--not bad, but it is there. Would you guys suggest that I adjust the valves first and see if it disappears before going into the crank?  BTW, this tractor is a new acquisition so I cannot speak to how it ran before it was parked.

Fortunately, i do have enough extra tractors to get my work done.

953 nut
4 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

suggest that I adjust the valves first and see if it disappears before going into the crank?

Sounds like a good plan.

briankd
9 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

I have an Electro 12 that sounds just lovely at start up, but after it warms up for 5 minutes or so, there is a knock--not bad, but it is there

that is what mine is doing  pulled my dipstick while running and it has a lot of blowby. this may have to wait till latter this summer have to many things going on now to mess with tractors. will be falling back on my old JD for mowing again this year

ericj

on these old kohler, the knock could be coming from the balance gears instead of the rod. i've seen a kohler that was vented right at the starter mount, but rod was still on the crank, broken but still hanging on. one of my friends have an old C120 that has been knocking for years but still run strong. how much of a gambler are you ? when doing the rebuild get rid of those balance gears.

eric j

953 nut
1 hour ago, ericj said:

rod was still on the crank, broken but still hanging on.

Been there; now I know better!

WH nut
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, ericj said:

i've seen a kohler that was vented right at the starter mount,

eric j

Its always nice to have that inspection window in the block so you can see whats going on.:D

• Like 1

briankd

just doing an update on this thread i just had time this past weekend tore this thing down and found rod and crank was good cylinder toast along with rings and the balance gears was the noise at least i think everything else is tight 

found been rebuilt before has .010 under rod and bored out .010 rod still looks new piston has some scuffing but the rings are shot along with cyl. that's why it was burnin oil bad .

i haven't mic. the crank yet to see if it still round yet but probably is ok the way the rod looks. going to get it bored out and do a complete rebuild since it going to be bare block starting out to put together after the machine shop

may have this done by fall if i ever get the time to keep it going back together

Edited by briankd