TravelinJavelin

953/1054 hydraulics?

TravelinJavelin

ok after studying these models for quite some time now..do the hydraulic pump have any down pressure if for say you had a snow plow on or not?

• Like 1

953 nut

The cylinder is a double action cylinder, but it hasn't got the type of down pressure that will push your blade down. There is a built in bypass to limit the strain on the pump. You can see the system on page 10 of the manual. Tractor 1963 953 OM IPL Wiring #123.pdf

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin

thank you very much there 953 nut!

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I am going to disagree with 953 nut  on this one.

The   953/1054   hydraulic pump and cylinder  if properly operating should be able to lift the front end wheels of your tractor off the ground.   The 953/1054  was one of the heaviest early Wheel Horse tractors but  a good operating pump and lift cylinder on the tractor with proper amount of hydraulic fluid should eaily be able to lift the tractor off the ground while pushing the snowplow downward.

The pressure  in the system  is above 300 lbs psi  from everything I have read.    The 953/1054   plow had a hard lift piece on it that  allowed the pump to use its pressure in that way,   

Here are three pictures of a New Old Stock  hard lift for the snowplow/dozer blade used on the 953/1054.  

018.JPG

019.JPG

021.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 5

bmsgaffer

Do you know what the size of the lift cylinder is? (approx diameter?)

The newer systems (starting at least in the mid 1970's) run 700psi on a 1.5" cylinder i believe, generating somewhere around 1200 lbs of outward force at the end of the rod, so if it is approx the same as the newer cylinders then you would only get about 500 lbs of force at the end of the rod @ 300psi. I could see where after years of use the older system might not be able to give much down force, even if maybe it could lift the front up when it was new....

Also, the newer systems have the cylinder extend for downforce, I have seen older systems work backward (retract for downforce) which would reduce the capacity quite a bit due to the area of the rod in the cylinder. I dont know which one the 953/1054 is. 

Just some food for thought!

Lane Ranger

Brandon:

The original 953.1054  lift cylinder  is  ten inches by 1 3/4 on the main cylinder.    I heard that at least 300 PSI up to maybe 350  was the output.   

025.JPG

024.JPG

• Like 2

953 nut
5 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

disagree with 953 nut  on this one.

Feel free, just going on the systems on mine, none of which have been rebuilt. I know they have pressure in the downward direction but wasn't sure if it was that great.

5 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

The 953/1054   plow had a hard lift piece on it that  allowed the pump to use its pressure in that way,

:text-thankyoublue:    never saw one of those before. I use a chain to connect the snow plow to the rocker shaft. I'll have to look for one of those thingies! 

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

well everyone its been quite a education for sure on the horse version now on cubs late 60's version of the same pump they claim there's 400 psi and what ever else but anyways I enjoy everyone's input on this thank you very much

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

@Lane Ranger are the lift cylinders rebuildable on the 1054 ?

I looked at mine and I don't believe it is.

Also I sat my pump on my work bench and the spool valve fell into the tank about 2 inches and now I think I'll have to open it up to get it back to top.

I probably should open it any ways to clean it . inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Take it to a good reliable hydraulic shop.   I have one that is sealed and has not yet been rebuilt but they tell it can be done and they reweld it.   Some of the 953/1054  cylinders were  screw-in types  -not welded.  

Lowell S.   (wheelhorseman1000 Vendor on Red Square)  bought two from me last year at the Big Show in Gettysburg to rework.      I am not sure what he learned by that process.

I plan on having the one extra on my workbench redone at a hyraulics show that does a lot of industrail and mining hyraulic equipment repair.

Bob:  The big Snap ring must have come off your spool valve and I believe you can still get those.     You can change the O ring and the shaft oil  seal when you have yours apart.  Look on  Wheelhorseman1000 's Vendor website for his  1054/953  hydraulic parts.

• Like 2

953 nut

The pump and cylinder on 953s are basically the same as the HY-2 and 3 and the manual for them is a lot clearer than what is in the 953 manual.

The cylinder can be taken apart by unscrewing the pipe thread fittings at both ends. As Lane said, you can get repair parts from Lowell.  http://www.wheelhorseman1000.com/product-p/hy-es.htm

• Like 3

wheelhorseman
On 2/21/2017 at 6:46 PM, BOB ELLISON said:

@Lane Ranger are the lift cylinders rebuildable on the 1054 ?

I looked at mine and I don't believe it is.

Also I sat my pump on my work bench and the spool valve fell into the tank about 2 inches and now I think I'll have to open it up to get it back to top.

I probably should open it any ways to clean it . inquiring minds want to know.

Yes it is I have done many! When I was reading this thread I realized that I did not have an ad for this on my store:angry-banghead: so here is a:text-link: http://www.wheelhorseman1000.com/product-p/00010.htm

Edited by wheelhorseman1000
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

Well now that I see Lowell's ad -that is where I am sending my cylinder !    $57  is a bargain for a rebuilt one !   And we all know Lowell does great work !   We are very lucky to have someone of the caliber of expertise doing what he is doing !

• Like 4

BOB ELLISON
On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 6:17 PM, wheelhorseman1000 said:

Yes it is I have done many! When I was reading this thread I realized that I did not have an ad for this on my store:angry-banghead: so here is a:text-link: http://www.wheelhorseman1000.com/product-p/00010.htm

That's great to know. I haven't started on the hydrolics yet but when I do I'll definitely use you for this.

• Like 2

marreque

I know I'm a little late to this party but my 1054 would lift the front tires off the ground with ease when the plow was put down too far. Also the rear hitch would lift small trees to skid out of the woods.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Lowell @wheelhorseman1000 is becoming a one stop shop with reasonable prices to boot, I love it!

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin

another question on these hydro pumps in real cold weather are you suppose to run a thinner oil or not? also what grade does the wheel horse recommend I know on cubs it says 10 weight oil now is that 10w itself or like 10/30 or 10/40?

953 nut

I have used ATF with no problems for a dozen years or more.

TravelinJavelin

ok good to know thanks there nut!

Jay Wellwood
On 2/24/2017 at 5:17 PM, wheelhorseman said:

Broken link.  😟