SPINJIM

THIS WEEKENDS HAUL, 418A

SPINJIM
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

If you get a chance could you take a couple pictures of the oil filter set up.  I do not know why WH didn't spec the filter (especially on the 418C commercial use version) other companies did.  I would like to rig up something like it on my 418A

Filter is mounted on left side, and hoses are routed behind the rear cylinder to the adapter port on the back PTO side of the case.   No room for the filter without the adapter kit.   Sent the info on the oil Filter Kit as a pdf file as well.

Jim

WH  418A,oil filter 002.jpg

WH oil filter.pdf

Scan0001.jpg

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 2

pfrederi

Thank You!!

cod

SpinJim,

Thanks for saving me from myself as I was watching this tractor while I wrestled with my inner demons over trying to buy it.  I have two 418-As and I really like them.  The older of the two has over 1900 hours on the meter while the young'n just flipped to 1000.

The low hours on the engine are what really appealed to me but I sincerely doubt I could have sold my wife on the idea and I've got enough bumps on my skull already... ;-)

Hope you get many years of excellent service out of it and if you decide to unload the deck let me know.

Cod

• Like 2

SPINJIM
57 minutes ago, cod said:

SpinJim,

Thanks for saving me from myself as I was watching this tractor while I wrestled with my inner demons over trying to buy it.  I have two 418-As and I really like them.  The older of the two has over 1900 hours on the meter while the young'n just flipped to 1000.

The low hours on the engine are what really appealed to me but I sincerely doubt I could have sold my wife on the idea and I've got enough bumps on my skull already... ;-)

Hope you get many years of excellent service out of it and if you decide to unload the deck let me know.

Cod

I had to do some explaining to my wife.   I sold off the garden cart that came with the 418A, and said I would sell some other less desirable WHs to be able to get this one that I really wanted.  No lumps on my skull yet, but I think I've reached my limit.   I didn't think the seller would accept my offer, but I guess he had almost no phone calls in the past month because his $1400 asking price was so high.    

Jim

smoreau

Next time she complains about the # of tractors, tell her that would be fine as long as she gets rid of some of her shoes. :icecream:

As for the KT series twins. Leave the oil filter kit on. It will double the life of the oil and will make the engine last longer. I have 2 417A's and a 520 with a repower of a 18hp magnum engine and 2 of them have this kit on them. I have rebuilt 2 KT17's and both of them failed due to junk in the oil pump locking it up and braking the plastic gear. The filter helps to prevent this. If you don't like its location you can make a bracket to fit it further inside. Or in a different spot will work also. If you blow up the pic below you can see mine are further in. And last thing. Put on a Kohler filter avalible at any tsc or small engine shop. From filters are about the cheapest made filters made. If you don't believe me cut one open and cut open a good brand an you will see what I mean. 

1114161607c.thumb.jpg.270e52037a69d9ba528e3a0fc602a9d8.jpg

Edited by smoreau
  • Like 3

fast88pu

I got a 418A tonight. 

IMG_20170221_195735.jpg

• Like 3

steelman

Reading your post about two failed rebuilds on your 417, what would you recommend to avoid the issues you had? I have a 417 that will need a rebuild. Should one plan on replacing the oil pump too? This post is an eye opener with the oil filter. Sounds like the way to go for sure. 

SPINJIM
2 hours ago, smoreau said:

Put on a Kohler filter avalible at any tsc or small engine shop. From filters are about the cheapest made filters made. If you don't believe me cut one open and cut open a good brand an you will see what I mean. 

I agree.  I'm not a fan of Fram filters.  Also, the orange is ugly on a red & black tractor.   I'll pick up a black Kohler filter tomorrow.

Jim

• Like 1

19richie66

Both of mine are getting remote filter setups. Picked them up off of ebay cheap. Can't go wrong with a good filter.

• Like 1

smoreau
On 2/21/2017 at 9:35 PM, steelman said:

Reading your post about two failed rebuilds on your 417, what would you recommend to avoid the issues you had? I have a 417 that will need a rebuild. Should one plan on replacing the oil pump too? This post is an eye opener with the oil filter. Sounds like the way to go for sure. 

Both engines were bought with them blown up. I have never blown one up. I rebuilt them with a new used block from ebay. 

• Like 1