SPINJIM

THIS WEEKENDS HAUL, 418A

Wishin4a416

Nice haul. Tractor looks to be well taken care of. And a nice parts tractor. The deck is a 42''. Good Luck

• Like 1

jay bee

:handgestures-thumbupright: I'm thinkin' you got your moneys worth!!!  Nice job.

Jim

c-series don

That is a good looking tractor at a fair price. I have a 416 and a 417 so of course I would love to have a 418!!

AMC RULES

Great :wh: deal...

congrats. :handgestures-thumbsup:

wildman

Really like the kohler twins in them horses, nice score.

Shuboxlover

A 418 is on my short list of ones I want....GREAT looking tractor, I'm totally jealous!

Tankman

Very clean. Excellent pickup! Now, get ready to start mowin' the grass. I hope.

Was a gorgeous day, just south of Allentown, PA. Made me feel like running the dethatcher!  :handgestures-thumbupright: 

can whlvr

man a good deal,but the 50 dollar b would have been on the trailer first,we never see cheapies anymore,you guys r lucky with the weather,its really warm up here too,but theres still 12 inches on the ground,no green grass here

Ed Kennell

WTG Jim.   Looks great.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

SPINJIM

Thanks everyone.  The B100 isn't as nice as it looks in the picture.  Trans looks bad.  PO's grandson says the engine ran a month ago, but me thinks he speaks with forked tongue.   I'll try it tomorrow.  

I've been wanting a good 2-cylinder WH for years, but didn't want to get into an Onan or spend the $ for a 520.   The 418A with Kohler Magnum is perfect for me.

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

I

9 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

I've been wanting a good 2-cylinder WH for years, but didn't want to get into an Onan or spend the $ for a 520.   The 418A with Kohler Magnum is perfect for me.

I saw that tractor on CL as well and agree that it was too much $$. What is the orange item on the left side at the rear of the engine? Is that a fuel filter?

T-Mo

Nice haul, and that B-100 looks like it's in better cosmetic shape than the B-100 Automatic I picked up at the first of the year.  Too bad you weren't closer and I would take that B off your hands.

• Like 1

SPINJIM
47 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

I saw that tractor on CL as well and agree that it was too much $$. What is the orange item on the left side at the rear of the engine? Is that a fuel filter?

The orange is an oil filter.  I think it was a dealer add on, or a factory option.  I guess it works off of the internal oil pump.  I think the Kohler M18 had a port  in the side of the block where the filter hoses could be attached.   Some experts here might correct me.

Jim

ericj

I know cub cadet's offered a remote oil filter, not sure if wheel horse ever did, but who know, never say never

eric j

SPINJIM
45 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Nice haul, and that B-100 looks like it's in better cosmetic shape than the B-100 Automatic I picked up at the first of the year.  Too bad you weren't closer and I would take that B off your hands.

If I can get the engine to run, I might sell it as a complete unit.  I hate to part out a WH.  All 4 tires are shot, so I'd have to find some used ones to put on.  Hydro trans linkage is broken, so I don't know what the trans internals are like.   I'll start with the engine today.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 1

pfrederi

If you get a chance could you take a couple pictures of the oil filter set up.  I do not know why WH didn't spec the filter (especially on the 418C commercial use version) other companies did.  I would like to rig up something like it on my 418A

shallowwatersailor
1 hour ago, SPINJIM said:

The orange is an oil filter.  I think it was a dealer add on, or a factory option.  I guess it works off of the internal oil pump.  I think the Kohler M18 had a port  in the side of the block where the filter hoses could be attached.   Some experts here might correct me.

Jim

Jim, thanks for the reply. I should have blown up that area of the picture to see the Fram name. I'll need to check that out as well. I wonder what the PSI of the pump is so as to not use too restrictive a filter. Good to know for my 417A.

SPINJIM
14 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Jim, thanks for the reply. I should have blown up that area of the picture to see the Fram name. I'll need to check that out as well. I wonder what the PSI of the pump is so as to not use too restrictive a filter. Good to know for my 417A.

I was thinking about that also.   I even considered removing the filter to make sure I have good oil pressure to the crank shaft.  As long as I replace the oil frequently, I shouldn't need a filter.   Any one have experience with a filter on Kohler twins ???

• Like 1

T-Mo
1 hour ago, SPINJIM said:

If I can get the engine to run, I might sell it as a complete unit.  I hate to part out a WH.  All 4 tires are shot, so I'd have to find some used ones to put on.  Hydro trans linkage is broken, so I don't know what the trans internals are like.   I'll start with the engine today.

Jim

My B-100 Automatic doesn't have the seat nor the seat springs, and the hood has been butchered a bit.  I see some good parts on your B that are better than mine, or missing on mine.  Both of ours being hydros is either a coincidence or an omen.:)

pfrederi
10 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

I was thinking about that also.   I even considered removing the filter to make sure I have good oil pressure to the crank shaft.  As long as I replace the oil frequently, I shouldn't need a filter.   Any one have experience with a filter on Kohler twins ???

Service manual says in good condition under normal operation pressure can be as high as 50psi.  The warning switch is supposed to trigger between 2-5 psi.  I also noticed that you are supposed to remove the pump and lubricate the spline shaft.  This was an add-on maintenance requirement after they suffered too many premature failures.  I have never done it ...guess i better this spring.. 

One other interesting note...all standard motors came with filters.  Speced motors may or may not have them based on the wishes of the company ordering them.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

SPINJIM
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Service manual says in good condition udder normal operation pressure can be as high as 50psi.  The warning switch is supposed to trigger between 2-5 psi.  I also noticed that you are supposed to remove the pump and lubricate the spline shaft.  This was an addon maintenance requirement after they suffered too many premature failures.  I have never done it ...guess i better this spring.. 

One other interesting note...all standard motors came with filters.  Speced motors may or may not have them based on the company ordering them wishes.

I tried to find info on the oil pump, and got the impression that it was internal, and that you had to split the block to get to it.   I'm still learning about the twin engines.  Is the pump accessible for service ?   I guess I need more info since I have a 417 and a 418 now. 

Thanks,  Jim

pfrederi

Some things you can do externally but this shaft lube may require splitting the case.  That is an awful lot of work to do every 500 hours.  

oil1.JPG

oil2.JPG

• Like 2

richmondred01

Nice 418a. I've got the 418-8. Great tractor. You can rebuild that entire m18 engine for what one onan piston, rod and ring set costs. 

JackC

Jim

The Series II engines have a port on the PTO side of the engine to add an oil filter base and oil filter or remote base and remote oil filter.

The PTO side is not a good place for an oil filter on the Wheel Horse tractors so the remote is the way to go.

Here is a pic of the cover over the port. You can replace the cover with the remote unit and pipe the filter to a convenient location.

58ab11956a78d_C175oilfiltercover.thumb.JPG.5de7aeeb1e0889e3513b86e99056925e.JPG

There is also a port just above for an oil pressure gauge.  Oil pressure should range between 25-50 lbs.

58ab11bb0f02b_Oilpressureport.thumb.JPG.02cfbc23a36f9d43d3e92c7ca6afe1dc.JPG

Edited by JackC
  • Like 4