tommyg

dip stick dysfunction

tommyg

OK, for the second time now, something inside the tranny on my D180 has broken the dipstick from the "full" mark down. It's currently inside the bottom of the transmission. Anyone have any thoughts on why this is happening? The first time it happened, I noticed that the threaded tube that it travels down was bent. So I thought that was the issue. But the new one is perfectly straight, and the same thing happened again.

pfrederi

Just measured my D200.  The stand pipe sticks 3" up from the tranny.  The dipstick measured from the lower lip of the cover to the tip is 5-3/4.  How long did it take to break??

The only thing back there is the differential gear and the dip stick is off to the side of it.

Edited by pfrederi

mike416

The same thing happened to my D200. It was the pinion bolt (s) in the rear end had worked loose and started contacting the dipstick and twisted it into a pretzel. The rear end had to come out and be split open to repair it. I think this was a common problem with the early D series.

• Like 2

tommyg

Ugh. That is not the news I wanted to hear. I'm not sure when it happened. I just noticed it yesterday. Trying to find out how much oil is supposed to be in there is driving me crazy. I changed it and put in the amount listed in the manual. Yesterday, I noticed oil oozing out of the dipstick tube. I haven't run the tractor for at least a month. I pulled out the dipstick and oil was just spilling over the top of the filler tube. That's when I noticed the dipstick issue. I stated the tractor and the level went down quickly, I suppose as the pump sucked it up to the front.

Edited by tommyg

mike416

I think mine holds around 4 to 5 quarts but I don't remeber exactly. Better check for those loose bolts or severe and expensive damage could occur. Good luck buddy.

• Like 1

pfrederi
52 minutes ago, mike416 said:

The same thing happened to my D200. It was the pinion bolt (s) in the rear end had worked loose and started contacting the dipstick and twisted it into a pretzel. The rear end had to come out and be split open to repair it. I think this was a common problem with the early D series.

It is hard to get a view down the dipstick hole...maybe with a mirror or one of those camera thingys.  i hope Mike is wrong but what he said makes a whole lot of sense

edit:  jack her up and release the tow valve..  stick a rod/wire etc that is at least 6 inches long down the tube then spin the wheels..any noises/contact???

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

tommyg

I actually have an inspection camera. That's a good thought. I can put it down the filler hole (it has a light on the end) and spin the wheels and see what's going on potentially before I have to crack it open. Great idea!

On 2/19/2017 at 4:51 PM, mike416 said:

I think mine holds around 4 to 5 quarts but I don't remeber exactly. Better check for those loose bolts or severe and expensive damage could occur. Good luck buddy.

Mike, I know it's at least 5 quarts. All I know is that it's a the right level when I run it, but after the oil drains back down from the hydropump, it's oozing out of the dipstick tube! So I'm not sure how to measure it. Obviously, I have too much, even though I filled it with the spec'd amount.

Edited by tommyg
  • Like 1

mike416

Well I did check my D Series owners manual and it shows 6 quarts for the transmission. However, the manual does mention to constantly check the dipstick for proper fill level because of the fact that even after draining  the system, some oil remains. So I would assume that the 6 quarts is for a totally dry system which ours would not be totally dry when simply performing a basic service. I guess that's why mine only holds around 5 quarts or so including changing the filter. Dont worry about the fill level when running it. Just make sure it is at the proper fill level with the engine off and any hydraulic cylinders should be in the retracted position. An inspection camera will certainly reveal any problems inside. If you have to split the reareand, my wheel hubs were really tough to remove. May want to remove the set screws and start applying some good penetrating oil. Best of luck friend. 

Zeek

I would comment, but anything I have to say about dipstick dysfunction or measuring your dip stick would certainly end up being deleted, I'm sure :popcorn: 

• Like 2

tommyg

Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Have you had a chance to look inside yet???

tommyg
On 2/22/2017 at 7:09 PM, mike416 said:

If you have to split the reareand, my wheel hubs were really tough to remove. May want to remove the set screws and start applying some good penetrating oil. Best of luck friend. 

I've been down the hub removal road before. Before installing them again, I smeared them with antiseize compound. I'm  hoping that'll do the trick if I have to open it up.

Just now, pfrederi said:

Have you had a chance to look inside yet???

Not yet. I'm in the middle of building a vanity for the master bath. It's sucking up all my time presently. Hopefully one night this week.

tommyg

OK, I had a chance to jack her up and take a look. Had to drain some of the oil first, but upon first inspection, there's nothing that jumps out at me that could potentially be the problem. I have to pick up a micro-sd card for the inspection camera so I can record some video of what I see. Maybe someone here can see something that I'm missing. Stay tuned.

tommyg

Here's the dipstick. Where it snapped off as about 4 7/8". Can anyone measure theirs just as this one is measure and tell me what the overall length is? Where this one snapped is exactly at the "full" mark.

IMG_2347.JPG

pfrederi

If we make it up to 10 degrees i will go down to the barn and measure it for you :P

pfrederi

Last night was the coldest of the winter but is supposed to be almost 60 on Tuesday  crazy.

Anyway does this help??

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

tommyg

Yeah, that does. So it looks like before the break, it was the right length. That's what I was wondering. Hope to post a video this evening on the inside of the tranny. For what it's worth, it was 12 deg here last night. And yes, 60 by Tuesday. Typical March weather in NE Ohio.

tommyg

Here's the video looking down from the dipstick perspective. Anyone see anything? I can't see anything awry.

transmission.wmv

Edited by tommyg
uploaded a different video format

pfrederi

Nice movie...but I didn't see a thing.

Does the dipstick fit securely in the pipe?   If it does not seat tightly it may wiggle about and then come in contact with one of the bolt heads

Sarge

Don't really see anything amiss - not even any scars on the diff bolts ? I wonder if someone just didn't pull the stick clear of the tube and broke it off in the process ?

Nice camera work , btw...

Sarge

tommyg

I'm going to drain the rest of the oil and see if I can retrieve the end of the dipstick. I'm  not positive, but I can make out a silhouette of a shiny piece of metal that looks to be about the same size sitting in the oil right  below. Assuming I can retrieve it, I don't see any reason to pull the case apart at this point, would you guys agree? I found another dipstick on ebay and have it ordered. If it happens again, though, I'm going to have to figure something else out.

• Like 1

Sarge

If it snapped right at the full mark it was probably bent at one time and straightened - with that mark it acts like a score line and can make the metal fracture if pushed too far . I've seen a lot of dip sticks break the same exact way on a variety of mechanical things - it's more common than you think . Some of the older International truck chassis engines were known for losing the ends of their stick , to be later found inside the grenaded oil pump...

Sarge

tommyg
On 3/6/2017 at 9:46 AM, Sarge said:

If it snapped right at the full mark it was probably bent at one time and straightened - with that mark it acts like a score line and can make the metal fracture if pushed too far . I've seen a lot of dip sticks break the same exact way on a variety of mechanical things - it's more common than you think .

Sarge

Yeah, I get that, but I'm now working on my third dipstick. Coincidence will only take you so far. Nevertheless, I don't see anything that would warrant me tearing that thing apart as long as I can get the missing dipstick end out of the transmission case.

pfrederi

I don;t see why you would have to open it up if you can retrieve the broken off tip (assuming it isn't really mangled) 

Actually looking at the broken off pies could be useful.  The clean break combined with an intact not damaged tip would indicate an one time hit,

I assume you have jacked her up and tried spinning the wheels to see if you hear any sound of contact.

tommyg

I'll post a pic of what I find. It looks like a clean break on filler neck end of the stick, but it is bent a little if you scroll back up and look at the pic I posted with the ruler. That might suggest something. What, I don't know.