Sign in to follow this  
richmondred01

400 series warning lights

richmondred01

Like most of you electrical issues drive me crazy. My warning light for the seat is on. It starts and runs fine just the light is on. I swapped out switches and it still remains on. 

Any ideas? 

pfrederi

Black Electrical tape over the light:P

• Like 6

Jerry77
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Black Electrical tape over the light

Works like a charm in my old car and truck too...what you can't see can't hurt you...:ROTF:

richmondred01

Funny guys......

• Like 2

pfrederi

I was somewhat serious about ignoring it.

I bought a NOS warning light board ($$$) a couple of years ago to get the lights working on my 418a and still  had to run down some wiring issues but got them all working .  Forward to last summer and they started acting up again.  Not worth my time or money to go in there again...I know If I am on the seat, have my foot on the brake have the PTO engaged ...

She is stored indoors and not used a whole lot.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

SPINJIM

The previous owner of my 417 must have gotten so frustrated with false warning lights, that he pulled all of the lights and just taped them together under the dash.   All of those little connections for the warning lights probably become corroded, and give false info.    I just check my oil level, my amp gauge, my PTO lever, and the clutch pedal, and as long as my butt is on the seat kill switch, I'm OK to go.  Consider that the 418-C (commercial) model did not even have most of those idiot lights, because they figured that those users did't want to be bothered by them.  Only important one, IMHO, is the oil pressure light.

Jim

• Like 1

pfrederi
20 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

The previous owner of my 417 must have gotten so frustrated with false warning lights, that he pulled all of the lights and just taped them together under the dash.   All of those little connections for the warning lights probably become corroded, and give false info.    I just check my oil level, my amp gauge, my PTO lever, and the clutch pedal, and as long as my butt is on the seat kill switch, I'm OK to go.  Consider that the 418-C (commercial) model did not even have most of those idiot lights, because they figured that those users did't want to be bothered by them.  Only important one, IMHO, is the oil pressure light.

Jim

You are right about the oil pressure but it would be easy to wire up an idiot light using the existing pressure switch.  (Which incidental is they only engine part i had problems with it cracked and started spraying oil all over but the leak wasn't enough to trigger the light..I did smell the hot oil hitting things and found it.

doc724

I am away from my machines for a while, and I did not check the schematic, but I am guessing that all those idiot lights work with either a pull up to 12V or pull down to ground resistor.  There is a short somewhere on the circuit board.  I do not believe that WH put any conformal coat over the electronics to protect from moisture so you likely have some corrosion which is the short.  You can pull the board and examine it or do like someone else said, black electrical tape over the light.  I usually pick the lowest cost solution.

ericj

all of the idiot lights piggy back onto the switch and therefore could be unhooked with out disabling the safety switch. if it is only one light check the wires to that switch vey carefully you might find your problem there. good luck

eric j 

clueless

So on my '88 312 the only idiot light that works on the Christmas tree when tested is the oil light. I don't care if they don't work, probably some corrosion or burned out bulbs, my question is this going to create other electrical problems :(:( down the road?  My understanding is the lights let you know if the safety switch is working, but after many post on this site over the years,  they seem to stop working way more often than the actual switch. Like many things way more stuff than one needs to cut some grass, or push some snow :twocents-02cents:

Jayzauto

GMorning R/R1, Although I'm not familiar with many of these models, these guys are correct and most of those switches look like they work on a ground connection to activate the lighting.  I looked at a few diagrams and they run to some sort of C/B?  And according to the diagrams I looked at, if the seat switch was actually bad, the PTO would be inoperative??  Because IDK what you are riding, I'm just guessing by looking at many of the diagrams.  If you don't mind supply a model number, I'll check the proper diagram

and see where the potential problem could be.

Thanx, Jay

richmondred01

It's a 418-8.

thanks