SylvanLakeWH

Honey Bees - in Michigan - In February...???

SylvanLakeWH

Enjoying a nice camp fire in the back yard today, minding my own business with an adult beverage, when along comes a bee!

Now, if it was June in Michigan that would not be a remarkable or even noticed event. But did I mention it's February - in Michigan - and it's 60 DEGREES!!! :o

AND, I will be skiing tomorrow!!! :banana-skier:

Go Figure...

• Like 1

953 nut

A friend who is a bee keeper lost all his bees a few years back because of an early spring where they ventured out too many times, consumed all the honey they had stockpiled and there were no flowers in bloom, so no nectar. Hope this isn't going to be a problem this year.

• Like 3

DennisThornton

What a strange world we live in now days!  We will cope somehow but the poor bees...

Keep in mind that this is originating from near the home of the 1980s Winter Olympics.

One can ski in Michigan? Snow ski? 😃

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
25 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

What a strange world we live in now days!  We will cope somehow but the poor bees...

Keep in mind that this is originating from near the home of the 1980s Winter Olympics.

One can ski in Michigan? Snow ski? 😃

Amen to that "strange world" comment!!!

Yes - Snow skiing...This is my 50th year of skiing, 25 of those years as a National Ski Patroller...

33 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

A friend who is a bee keeper lost all his bees a few years back because of an early spring where they ventured out too many times, consumed all the honey they had stockpiled and there were no flowers in bloom, so no nectar. Hope this isn't going to be a problem this year.

That's my concern as well...This is nuts!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Haven't seen any bees out yet...did see a bunch of robins though.

Mid 50-60's predicted here for this upcoming week...

so, let's pray the snow is on the down hill slide. skiing-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 3

russellmc301

looked today and 3 of the 4 hives is empty.

steelman

I saw wasps buzzing today too. Also heard bluebirds singing and watched the ice literally turn to open water at my brothers cottage in Hillsdale MI. Geese and Sandhills cranes flying all over the place. What will March bring? 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
2 minutes ago, steelman said:

I saw wasps buzzing today too. Also heard bluebirds singing and watched the ice literally turn to open water at my brothers cottage in Hillsdale MI. Geese and Sandhills cranes flying all over the place. What will March bring? 

I "liked" your post but I do not like what's happening!

35 minutes ago, russellmc301 said:

looked today and 3 of the 4 hives is empty.

:no:

steelman

Yea I hear ya. I would rather have been ice fishing today instead of watching the ice melting. Fruit trees will be budding and we know that shouldn't be happening just yet. 

• Like 2

WHX??

I think it's wild you had a fire in the pit Sylvia, mine was still covered in snow till this morning! Teradactles (sandhills) and geese in the air here too steelman. I got a feeling we may pay for this in march.

• Like 1

can whlvr

my neighbor is a bee keeper,hes real worried too,way too warm too soon,and its gonna get cold again,its snowing right now

• Like 1