tallen4392

c-141 coil

tallen4392

does anyone know if a c-141 coil is the same as a coil for a car from napa  i am trying to see if this engine will run but the coil is missing  any ideas  would be great it looks like a small resistor is bolted to the engine 

rmaynard

Go to NAPA and request a coil for a Kohler K321 engine. The Kohler's have an internal resistor. I will try to find you a part number.

Have them cross-reference part number 41 519 21-S

• Like 1

tallen4392

Thanks then i guess the resistor on the motor will not be used correct ????

do u think napa would have a coil to work with it 

rmaynard

I'm not sure what resister on the motor you are referring to. All original Kohler coils for the K-Series engines had internal resistors. If yours has an external one, then the coil has been replaced with an incorrect one for the application. Don't mistake the condenser for a resistor.

NAPA should have the proper coil.

tallen4392

my mistake i think it is condensor on back side of engine i am thinking it goes to coil ??  i ordered some books for this but am trying to see if motor will run  i am very greatful for your help a few more questions if i could  there is one wire on the starter  i think it should go to a selonide correct but i dont see one  if i use jumper cables the motor spins but wont stop until i take off cables  also there is a box bolted to engine next to carb with 1 thicker wire not hooked up either thanks again 

rmaynard

How about posting some pictures of your problem areas. Not sure what the box is unless it's an aftermarket electronic ignition module.

Should be a heavy battery cable going to one side of the solenoid and connecting directly to the (+) terminal of the battery. The other heavy battery cable goes from the other side of the solenoid to the lug on the starter. There should be a small wire connecting from the small lug of the solenoid, going back through some safety switches to the ignition switch. Check all grounding cables/connections on the tractor. The C-141 (and other C-1X1 models) are notorious for having a poor ground connection between the engine block and the frame.

Also, go to our manuals/files area and download all the manuals you need for free. Should be Kohler service manual, and owners & parts manuals for your C-141.

• Like 1

tallen4392

i see if i can dowload pics thanks

tallen4392

any tips on how to add pics from my phone

953 nut

Here is a basic wiring diagram for coil/battery ignition systems. 

58a8a39b3f783_batteryignitiontractor-wiring.thumb.jpg.af38c52590d0ae8df1b06ac12ef0171c.jpg

tallen4392

That helps i figured there is no solenoid on this machine will have to find one that box is bolted next to fuel pump looks like factory box with 1 thick red wire  not hooked up.. do you think that is a standard solenoid i could pick up at napa with the coil  i took some pics but it says failed to download  thanks

rmaynard
1 hour ago, tallen4392 said:

Are you accessing RedSquare from your phone? Is it Android or iPhone?

tallen4392

From my I phone keeps saying problem uploading file

rmaynard

The file may be too large. Try reducing the size, or you can become a RedSquare supporter where there is no limit. Cheap price for all the benefits.

• Like 1

tallen4392

became a red square supporter still says failed to load photo 

• Like 1

tallen4392

rmaynard

It's showing as a .PHP instead of .jpg

tallen4392

trying to figure out what that rectangular box bolted to engine is right next to fuel pump 1red wire not hooked up cannot seem to get pics to upload don't understand why

It says jpg when it downloads from my phone never had problems with pics before only here 

Just uploaded again says jpg 

wallfish

Does the "box" have 2 screws holding it on? top and bottom? Located down and to the left of the pump?

The points cover

Check out this service manual

Kohler K-Series SM TP-2379 LR.pdf

Edited by wallfish

tallen4392

Yes so that red wire would go to the neg side of coil ??

With the condensor 

953 nut

Your ignition points are housed under that cover, remove it and take a look to see if they need cleaning.

5 hours ago, tallen4392 said:

tallen4392

Thanks I will still trying to figure the wiring out so will that wire go to neg  side of coil ??

953 nut

Yes, the points and condenser attach to the negative side of the coil.

tallen4392

Thanks for all the help good to know there is somewhere to get the info I need I am sure I will be asking more questions in the future  Thanks again I will see if this thing runs maybe tommorow