fairview

firing up a FC540V after few years of sitting

fairview

I parked my Wheelhorse a few years back ( maybe 4 ) when I picked up a bigger diesel model  (Massey).    

well, I went and got a new battery today, checked the oil, stuck a gallon of gas in and thought I'd give it a go; as I was going to stick in on ebay.

didn't labour it, but it's not firing.    Only really tried taking air filter off and priming the engine with a little gas.

figured I could do more harm then good, especially if oil isn't getting to the top of the engine,  left it.. found you guys.

I'll probably give it a good going over now as I figure the engine is worth more than the little tractor.  ( did notice that gas is dripping out the bottom middle of the tractor, must be a perished hose or connect )

Figured I should check the spark plug next to see if it's got life..

but any suggestions from you fine professionals on a checklist I should go through ?    Figure oil drain, oil filter, check pug is on the cards, but was hoping to fire it up so it's running and then hand it over to someone who wants to restore it.  ( I have the cutting deck, Back grass catcher )

It's a 227-5  Europa

many thanks!

Edited by fairview

Ed Kennell

If you are strictly looking to get it running so you can sell it, then I would first check for fire at the plug.   If you have fire, It should run if you hand spray fuel directly into the carb. If it does not run with a good spark and fuel sprayed into the carb, there must be internal problems.....timing off, stuck valves etc.

If you want to keep it running without cleaning, repairing and/or  replacing the fuel supply components,  connect a gravity feed fuel tank directly to the carb.

• Like 2

fairview

..that's the one.  I'll get on that tomorrow.  Thanks.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

selling running vs not running is like 3x difference in price, if not more ;)

who know's maybe I'll keep it once I get on it again

Edited by fairview

953 nut
3 hours ago, fairview said:

maybe I'll keep it once I get on it again

:text-bravo:              :WRS:             Sounds like the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor is leaking.

• Like 1