inboardnut

Newbie needs help with (I Think) Suburban

Racinbob
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

A possible 550 Bob. Time to do some further investigation if it even matters.

Oops!! That's actually what I meant John. :huh: No, it doesn't matter to me and I really don't know what else to research. :)

Racinbob
5 hours ago, inboardnut said:

Here is pic of dashould plate... pretty masty. Not sure of you can pull an from it somehow? 

20170218_094406.jpg

Pic of dash...

That's Pretty bad. My serial was forever gone so I did this thanks to another decal from Terry. :)

58a8b6a3cb3f4_ControlsComplete.thumb.JPG.591c9ba97dd722456f4f30650f9bcc32.JPG

5 hours ago, inboardnut said:

• Like 4

Molon_Labe
9 hours ago, inboardnut said:

Here is pic of dashould plate... pretty masty. Not sure of you can pull an from it somehow? 

20170218_094406.jpg

Try soaking the SN plate overnight in Jasco Prep and Prime (sold at Lowe's), you might be amazed with the outcome.

• Like 1

inboardnut

Well, after owning and neglecting the tractor for a couple of decades, it looks like I have lost possession of it in a single day!  Our 6 year old grandson actually skipped going to The Pizza Ranch so he could come out and clean his new tractor,  lol

He worked on it for at least 3 or 4 hours this afternoon!  Doesnt run, but sure is clean!!! :)

Grants wh.jpg

Edited by inboardnut
  • Like 7

SylvanLakeWH
22 minutes ago, inboardnut said:

Well, after owning and neglecting the tractor for a couple of decades, it looks like I have lost possession of it in a single day!  Our 6 year old grandson actually skipped going to The Pizza Ranch so he could come out and clean his new tractor,  lol

He worked on it for at least 3 or 4 hours this afternoon!  Doesnt run, but sure is clean!!! :)

Grants wh.jpg

Can't get any better than that! You are one lucky Grandpa and he is one lucky Grandson!

• Like 3

slim67
On 2/18/2017 at 5:39 AM, Racinbob said:

:WRS:

Yup. you've got a 1960 Suburban 400 there. I must say a very nice example too. The first thing to do, as Major mentioned, is to pull the shifter and check the shift forks. In neutral they should look like this:

58a81ecc500f0_shifterforks.thumb.jpg.9e482c474207abe874ee11838e98f577.jpg

Simply use a screwdriver to reposition them if they don't. Put the shifter back on making sure the dog point setscrew hits the hole on the 'donut'. Tighten it just until you feel resistance as you shift it through the gears then back off just a fuzz and, while holding the set screw (1/8* allen wrench) in place tighten the lock nut. The 1/4-20 lock nut isn't shown in the picture. That should free up the transmission. If it doesn't or the forks are already in that position don't force things. Let us know what you find. These transmissions are really quite simple and you'll find all the help you need right here. The 400's originally had a Kohler K-91 on them but some had Clintons that could have been leftovers from the earlier RJ's. The Suburban 550's had Tecumseh's with electric start. Other than that they were identical. I'm not seeing any signs of ever having a battery mounted under the seat so I'd have to stick with saying a 400. OK, let's just leave it at that for now. There's much more but one step at a time. Keep us posted and most of all have fun with your grandpa/grandson project. :)

58a8244252b8a_SuburbanBannerPic.thumb.jpg.14f29d6bc6b3e6d5bf9578ea0d0471ab.jpg

Beautiful restoration right there. 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Yep, he's hooked...  :text-woo:

Grants wh.jpg

...congratulations Grandpa, job well done.   :bow-blue:

• Like 4

inboardnut

Now that the tractor is clean :)....  Time to figure out what direction to go with this project.

First, since this has a battery cable and box below the seat, do you think this had electric start? Were those with electric start a different model, or just an option? What motor would this use? 

I was able to pull the shift lever. There was no set screw in it. She definitely needs some attention. probably no / or little lube in it.  Had a lot of crud on the end. Wiped it off and the 2nd pic is what it looks like. Is this shifter  ok?  Probably need to flush and drain gear box?

Are parts available for the tractor?  Looks like all the cables are seized.

Sorry for all the questions... just new to working on these!

20170219_152707.jpg

20170219_152932.jpg

Edited by inboardnut
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

Everything is available to make that little guy like brandy new again.  

Gotta say...that original "patina" is hard to replicate though.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

inboardnut
10 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Everything is available to make that little guy like brandy new again.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Thru a dealer? / or is there is best place to buy from?

AMC RULES

Most of it though individuals, and the vendor network...

found right here on :rs:.  

• Like 1

oliver2-44
On 2/18/2017 at 6:20 AM, N3PUY said:

Looks like the shifter boot is torn.  May have gotten water in the transmission before you got it. 

Something could be rusted.

Remove the shifter and fill the trans with cheap oil or diesel fuel.

Let it set for a day and then start trying to turn the input shaft and the axles.

It may just start turning.  :greetings-clappingyellow:

As nice as that gear shift cleaned off, a flush just might do the trick (if threes not water in the bottom)  As N2PUY said fill it with diesel and let it set a day or two.  You could also set an electric heater about a foot or so next to the transmission and put a tarp over some saw horses above it. Only do this in an outside location and be sure all diesel is cleaned off the outside and no leaks etc. BE SAFE!  A little heat helps dissolve the crud.  

• Like 1

inboardnut
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Everything is available to make that little guy like brandy new again.  

Gotta say...that original "patina" is hard to replicate though.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

I agree... they are only original once. lol  Right now plans are to  try and get her running and (hopefully) enjoy it for now. Can always restore later.  (Same plans for both of my Speedex's)

35 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

As nice as that gear shift cleaned off, a flush just might do the trick (if threes not water in the bottom)  As N2PUY said fill it with diesel and let it set a day or two.  You could also set an electric heater about a foot or so next to the transmission and put a tarp over some saw horses above it. Only do this in an outside location and be sure all diesel is cleaned off the outside and no leaks etc. BE SAFE!  A little heat helps dissolve the crud.  

A diesel fuel bath sounds like a great idea. 

inboardnut

Been a busy week at work... finally getting back to the forum.   Is there a difference in model numbers, depending if it has electric start or not?

wallfish

Probably best to just go with a Kohler K91 engine which is pull start.

The original electric start engine would've been a Lauson/Tecumseh H55 which are much harder to find, and in my opinion much harder to keep running well. Plus they are getting expensive when you can find one.

• Like 1

WHX??

Just chiming in to follow and say :WRS:  Appears my horse brothers have got you covered on good advice.  Good threads here if you have to tie into that transmission. A 400 in original work clothes. 

20160814_090927.jpg

• Like 1

evanloock

Yes with different engines as well.  400 came with a Fairbanks-Morse recoil equipped Kohler K-91 spec# 31388A.  550 came with an electric start Lawson (Tecumseh Power Products) H55B-1107 engine with an updraft Tillotson carburetor(carb is much like the one used on the 1963 633).

inboardnut

Well, looks like my "engine guru" has the engine we are hoping to use for now running!  I think it is the Kohler K90... think this will this work ok?    

I wont be able to get it for a few weeks yet. 

In the meantime, can anyone help me with info on the  size/ diameter of the drive pulley that is used? Also... what about pics or diagrams of how the belt is engaged? 

Thanks!

Edited by inboardnut

gwest_ca

In case you don't have the manual

The 1608 engine pulley is 2-1/2" OD for a 1/2" belt. Used on many models so a good used pulley should be available if the shaft size is the same with the replacement engine.

The transmission pulley is 4" OD

The photo posted in #41 shows the belt routing.

Garry

• Like 1

WHX??

Pulley diameter 2 1/2"??? help me out here guys got the CRS!

Pics of that area I'm sure others will have better ones

20150809_093047.jpg

20150809_093135.jpg

20150809_093126.jpg

wallfish
1 hour ago, inboardnut said:

Well, looks like my "engine guru" has the engine we are hoping to use for now running!  I think it is the Kohler K90... think this will this work ok?  

Yes, the K90 will work fine, it's basically just an older version of the K91

953 nut
On 2/19/2017 at 9:21 PM, inboardnut said:

Thru a dealer? / or is there is best place to buy from?

There are lots of vendors to fill your needs; check out this thread.

Also, check out our Vendors, they are great.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/92-vendors/

inboardnut

My son in law delivered the K90 motor over the weekend. So, now in my "not so spare" time, I can actually start working on the tractor.  I am definitely going to need throttle and choke cables..and maybe controls?  Here are a couple of pics of the engine setting in place on the chassis.   Almost like it was designed to fit here!

20170410_184918.jpg

20170410_184932.jpg

• Like 2