Lane Ranger

RJ Plow from Suburban Plow

Lane Ranger

I bought a motor in Ohio this summer and it was a two hour trip from my home in Greencastle, Indiana.     While picking up the motor and a few other items the seller said I had to take a Wheel Horse Snowplow he had on a trailer. 

I loaded in the truck with the other items and I started churning on an idea to make and RJ  plow out of the Suburban 42 inch plow.   I had  another RJ  frame I bought several years earlier in the basement storage.

I really did not need it but when I saw the plow it looked like the early plow used on a Wheel Horse Suburban  with two skids on it.    It did not come with the frame and I do not own a Suburban.     But I have three  RJ's  ( and my brother has one too without a plow).   I have one original RJ  plow that works great and has been used a few winters.     Not much snow in this part of Indiana this year but  when I bought this in the summer I thought I would make up another plow for an RJ.

010.JPG

I had a plate made  by a friend  with one 1/2 hole in the front and three 1/2 inch holes in the back that would be welded on the Suburban plow frame to accommodate the RJ  plow tube support that attaches

with two side plates on the RJ  frame.

009.JPG

008.JPG

007.JPG

006.JPG

I remove the cutting edge and all five bolts on this 42 inch plow and began sanding  and removing rust  before priming and painting.

011.JPG

The old RJ  frame  had been really used and the previous owner welded a support piece of steel on the side of the front of the tube to overlap the second hole  where the pivot pin or bolt rides on the frame at the back of the plow.

You have to get off the RJ  tractor to move the pin or bolt when  plowing if you want to change the direction of the plow.

006.JPG

My welder reduced the 3/4  inch holes in the Suburban plow frame by adding spacers to reduce the sixe of the holes for a 1/2 inch pin or bolt.

007.JPG

The photo above if for the two skids that attach to the rear of the plow with two  3/8  fine thread  3/4 inch bolts.  The skids can be adjusted up and down.

016.JPG

The photo above shows the plow  with the newly welded plate on it .  The tube frame support for the plow  will ride in between the two triangular pieces and the pivot pin will go  through the tube frame to the holes in the plate at the bottom of the tibe. 

015.JPG

Tube frame support that goes under the RJ.    Two plates bolt to the RJ frame and the rear T on the back goes into the plates.     The part hanging down on the side attaches to the RJ

lift handle to raise and lower the RJ /Suburban Snowplow.

I will post more pictures when I am fully completed but this nice 64  degree weather in Greencastle today got me in the painting mode on this project.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 9

evanloock

Just an FYI the HD-42 blade had 2 available mounting brackets....one for the Suburban 400/401/550/551 and one for a RJ-59/58/35.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Interesting   .   I never saw the RJ 59/58  or 35    mounting bracket for this plow.   I will have to see if there is a photo or drawing of it somewhere on Red Square.

Thanks evanloock!

evanloock

Here's a pic of the RJ bracket I found in another thread.  It's secured via a long bolt that passes over the frame of the tractor. Part number is 2349.  It's listed in the HD-42 manual in the files section of this site.

image.jpeg

Edited by evanloock
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

I took a look at the manuals and saw that this set up was used  for both.   I did not know that the RJ's could use this  HD-42 plow and frame.      We had the other RJ original type plow.    I know from experience it was not as strong or stable on the frame  as the later Wheel Horse tractor ones but  I enjoy using the original plow on the RJ  as the plow face was lighter and more curved.   It always seemed to push snow better than the later plows.

This 1961 picture of my brother and I shows the original plow on our 1958  RJ!

gallery_339_37_180308.jpg

• Like 6

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Always wondered...

which Ralph was which. :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I am on the right.  My brother David is on the left  with the banged up head!   

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I thought that's where someone took a bite outta crime.  :ychain:

• Like 1

wallfish
3 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

I am on the right.  My brother David is on the left  with the banged up head!   

As the older brother, you are the main suspect for any damage to younger siblings.

Are you going to confess?

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Well  there was an incident John!      Running at our grandfathers house in a field and trying to see who could get to the strawberry field first!   

I did get in big trouble as he fell on a  shovel in the field and I was to blame !  The court of law in the ralph house did enforcement!

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Neither have been the same since.  :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

This is what I ended up with  after the RJ/Suburban plow combination work!

I think it turned our pretty good!

008.JPG

009.JPG

011.JPG

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Nice work Lane, that looks great.  where is all the snow this year??  :occasion-snowman:

• Like 1

Terry M

Lane,I agree with Steve...looks very nice.:)     

By the way, Steve...rain here today and  the snow is 99% gone.   Pretty sure the last 1% will go quick too.      Bummer.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Good Question Steve>   Hey I just got back from Florida Flywheelers and I am going to send you an inquiry about that weird  B111  Peerless transmssion from a guy in Florida.   I will send you tomorrow.