Sign in to follow this  
Old Iron

10hp Kohler tune up

Old Iron

I am mechanicly inclined and dove into many projects, including the removal and restoration of the 302 in my 1971 F100. This past summer a friend gave me (that's right, GAVE ME!) his Grandfathers 1057 with plow, chains and weights, and mowing deck.

The 10hp Kohler in my 1057 runs well, but the choke has to remain half way and she tends to smoke slightly. Also, according to my wife, it stinks pretty bad. <_<

I could dive in and start monkeying with carb rebuilds and such, but it would be nothing more than a stab in the dark. I would rather take it to some one who has experiance with small engines. If a carb rebuild was in order, and any other setting and/or adjustments were needed, how much should I expect to pay to have someone do a "once over"? I still don't have a money tree in the back yard, so I want to know what's in store. :whistle:

I'd really like to get this tractor purring like it should. It has already proven it's self with how well it works for snow removal. I would love to put it to work this summer as well :thumbs:

Coadster32

:dunno: Old iron doesn't sound like a newbie name to me. :whistle: Anyway, if it runs good with the choke 1/2 on, perhaps if you richen out the screws, low, and high ends respectitvely, you could bring the choke back in. A slight idle adjustment might be needed when all is said and done. I wouldn't be concerned about messing up the carb. If you are already thinking about having somebody redo it, take a stab at it yourself. If not, at least let them earn their money. I would get it fired up, and all warmed up, and make some adjustments as you go. Yeah it might stall a couple of times, but you'll get it. As far as the smoke, you might have some internal issue, rings, valves. I would tell the wife to plug her nose. :thumbs: I am sure somebody else will chime in, and help steer you also. Good luck. Kohlers are nice motors. :whistle:

Old Iron

Thanks Coadster32. Maybe a little encouragement is all I need. I should have some time this weekend to mess with it. I always wonder how a carb gets out of adjustment. You would figure once it's dialed in it would be good pretty much for ever. :thumbs:

Buzz

Hey John, here's the manual you need. Section 6 gives a good breakdown on the carburetor.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2379.pdf

If you decide to tear it apart and clean it, put a new kit in it. Any lawn mower shop/dealer should have them in stock. You will need the engine model and spec. numbers. If it's the original engine it should be K241S-46333D. Good luck.

TT

I can't believe no one has mentioned a worn throttle shaft / carburetor body. :thumbs:

If these old engines have a lot of hours or are frequently used in dust and dirt, the machined hole in the aluminum carburetor body will wear and allow tramp air to be pulled in around the throttle shaft - otherwise know as a vacuum leak. Over time, the brass shaft will also wear and the whole works will get sloppy and can cause surging, fuel delivery issues, and increased wear due to unfiltered air entering the engine.

Choking will sometimes help draw more fuel into the venturi by creating a harder pull past the main jet, but it is not a good solution to the problem.

Grab onto the top of the throttle shaft where the link from the governor arm attaches and try wiggling it sideways. If it feels sloppy and worn, it's either time to have a repair kit installed or find a replacement carburetor.

It might also be time to check valve clearance and general cylinder condition. Low compression also means low vacuum, and vacuum is what's needed to pull the atomized mixture through the carburetor and into the cylinder.

If you're lucky, it will be a float level setting or adjustment issue, or maybe even a partially plugged main jet needle. :whistle:

:dunno: -- we'll help you through it, John. :whistle:

KyBlue

TT do they still have the repair kits for the carbs?? To fix the shafts I mean. I've got two carbs that need em... lol

Old Iron - there is alot of great information here on RS and some members who really know their stuff, like TT... :thumbs:

Old Iron

You guys are really making me feel better. I'll see if the throttle shaft is sloppy first, and go from there. There is a small Toro dealer in town. You know, "the little guy trying to make it in a big world" type place. I wonder what he has in stock as far as rebuild kits. I have to get in touch with a friend of mine. He has 2 Wheel Horses from the late '60s/ early '70s. (Also has a restored '40s Bolens). He was telling me of the guy he goes to. Been in busness since the begining of time. I should try there, the guy probably forgot more than I'll ever learn about these old tractors. :thumbs:

Thanks for the link and other info Buzz. :whistle: I saved it and will look it over later, I'm at work now and should probably be working. :whistle:

By the way, Buzz, you joined the day my youngest son was born. :dunno:

linen beige

TT do they still have the repair kits for the carbs?? To fix the shafts I mean. I've got two carbs that need em... lol

If ya can't find the factory bushings it's pretty easy to make 'em from brass or bronze tubing. Or oversized shafts from brass rod. Ya just might have a nearby 'Horse fan with some (slightly rusty) brass model building skills that could give ya some pointers.

KyBlue

Heck Ive yet to MEET the nearby horse fan you refer too, not to mention get him to help with any projects...LoL

Old Iron

How is the hood completely removed from a 1057? It will be easier to reach the carb without worring if I'm leaning to hard on it while it's open.

Also, I'm a machinist so if these shafts aren't available I could make one up. I would just need the original dimensions. Anyone have a photo of one removed? I'd be curious how hard it would be to make one, I've never seen one.

TT

There should be two "hairpin" clips on the hood hinge rod. Pull them out and slide the pin out with the hood closed and the hood will lift right off. :thumbs:

This LINK will answer most of your questions about the throttle shaft.

KyBlue

Thanks TT... just under 35.00 from PartsTree ... I'll add that to my list of Stuff I need to buy..

Thanks again! You Da Man! :thumbs::whistle::whistle: eh Which one of the kits do we need? They List three Shaft lengths.. Come on WH and kohler guru..

Old Iron

Thanks guys! I made some carb adjustments and she's running much better. I had to make a choke cable adjustment also, now the choke is all the way in and she still runs. After it's warmed up now I can start it with the throttle all the way down to idle and the choke all the way off! :thumbs:

I was taught to be afraid of carberators. You guys gave me the kick in the pants I needed. It still coughs out a puff of smoke when you throttle her all the way up from idle. Maybe someday I'll rebuild the whole motor, but until then I think it's running just fine. Thanks again. :whistle: