tallen4392

Hi  has anyone ever used tractor supply paint on there wheel horse  if so do they remember what color red it was and was it close to original color ? I have a 1979 c-141  i am trying to spruce up a little .  Thanks 

• Like 1

tallen4392

Thanks i  did not see the paint topic that helps a lot.......

Tankman

Never liked TSC's paint. I've been using Rustoleum Regal Red for years. :handgestures-thumbupright:

For wheels I found Duplicolor Wheel Paint from my local auto parts store, stock on the shelf. Holds up very well!

I always use Huskee Kevlar belts. On the shelf, inexpensive, never had a failure, TSC.

c-series don

I've never used TSC's paint but I do remember guys here saying that they were not happy with it. 

Sarge

The stuff they carry now is crap compared to the Valspar . A lot of it has to do with EPA regulations , getting your paint from a professional auto supply is a better quality but it also comes with a bigger expense .

Sarge

rmaynard

:text-yeahthat:I used to use the Valspar Restoration Series in the aerosol cans for touch-up. It was a totally acceptable paint, and the color IH Red was nice. Dried reasonably fast, and cured hard. Then when it was no longer available, I did an experiment with the Majic brand from TSC that replaced it. I sprayed it on a properly prepared and primed piece of steel, allowed 6 hours to dry as instructed. It never did. I could scrape it off with my fingernail. Even after 24 hours it was still soft and I could press my fingernail into it.

My recommendation is to avoid Majic paint.

Achto

If you can find a supplier near you, VanSickle acrylic enamel is an excellent single stage automotive quality paint at a lower cost. IH red is a close match to Wheel Horse red.  Wet on wet application from primer to paint and good dry times. http://www.vansicklepaint.com/tractor/tta.html. It is best sprayed through a gun with their hardener, but it is also available in spray cans. I've sprayed a lot of this paint and have never been disappointed.

tallen4392

Great info guys thanks

Kurt-NEPA

I used Valspar IH Red - Restoration Series from TSC for years.  I really liked it. This new Magic paint is crap.  You can still get the regular Valspar IH Red and hardener from Amazon.  I've had nice results from it.  It sure beats what I can get in a rattle can.

smoreau

I'm down to just 1 1/2 gallons and 6 spray cans left of the valspar. When they put in on clearance, I went to 5 different stores and bought everything I could. 6 gallon and 24 cans. I'm going to miss it when its all gone. 

cschannuth

I used this on my dad's 78 C-161 for some touch up and it matched really well. It dries hard and fast. 

Premium Decor 12 OZ, Gloss Fiesta Red Enamel Spray Paint PDS96-AER

i get it from True Value Hardware and its $3.59 per can. I've tried everything and this is the best I've found. In the images below the weight hanger was rattle canned with the Fiesta Red and it matches the hood pretty well. image.thumb.jpeg.b5698d8e26f7868716cfe2f0aa2e22b6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fd6d742d15573937e1caa1e6de8b1385.jpeg

• Like 3

WHX??

That weight hanger is awesome @cschannuth :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

cschannuth
9 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

That weight hanger is awesome @cschannuth :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

Jeff (WVHillbilly520H) made that for me. I just prepped and painted it. Thanks!

• Like 2

P3x

Have not seen it mentioned much, but I've used TORO Red Spray Paint (PN 36110) on my 1993 520H and all implements. It's a high quality enamel paint, goes on thick and smooth with proper preparation and matches my 520's original color 100%. It's available in 12 Oz. Aerosol Cans or by the Gallon. Think Toro also has another PN Red Paint with a color to match earlier models (prior to 1990?).

Have painted STs, Decks, etc. and and has proven to be xtremely durable. Paid 10.35/Can at Jack's Small Engines last time purchased. Maybe a little more expensive but think the quality is there.

Just my .02.....

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

I use the I.H. red from tractor supply with great results.  I use rustoleum primer first then spray it out of a gun.  Just remember the reducer and hardener to mix in.  It's very durable and gets a real nice gloss to it, almost looks like it has clear coat on it

953 nut
1 minute ago, aHorseofCourse said:

reducer and hardener

That is the key with any brand, makes a world of difference.

aHorseofCourse

Blade is painted with tractor supply and the tractor is factory

IMG_0945.thumb.JPG.2d595227d30439ba3d8ee175a70a64a8.JPG

• Like 1

tallen4392

is that ih tractor  supply  paint ?looks good I like those weights on rear .. What size are those rear tires  looks good ..